Neil Magny Hype over

I friggin love watching Maia at 170, his grappling has been so dominant, even against wrestlers and guys with great takedown defense...at least early on in fights. Hopefully age doesn't catch up to him anytime soon. 170 is such a good division with endless great matchups that it almost disturbs me.

Magny's stock went up in my eyes after that fight. I didn't expect him to last as long as he did on the ground. He defended well for quite a bit.

Completely wrong. Maia's got some of the best takedowns at WW and Magny's TDD is absolute crap. Get yourself Fightpass, go watch their fights, and then make assertions like that. Except you won't, because you'll know that type of thinking is wrong.

What are you talking about? Magny has 70% TDD which is highly respectable and the three fights before this was taken down ONCE and took all his opponents down several times.

Meanwhile Maia has a shitty 30% take down percentage. Much worse than even Magny actually even.

And in his last three fights before this he's gone 9/39 on takedowns lol he's been horrible. It sounds like you need to go back and watch some fight pass douche bag, I judge fighters on their most recent fights and for the past couple years the stats back up Magny has had good wrestling and Maia has had shittier wrestling.

Magny future champion, now Magny future gatekeeper. But seriously, he is good, but there are better strikers, wrestlers and grapplers than him, some are even better at all.

I think Magny still has heaps of untapped potential; if he develops more dangerous striking and great TDD he will be hard to beat. He actually did quite well on the ground with Maia who controlled Rory before gassing. Magny's bjj looked bad against Moraes so I was expecting a first minute tapout.

That was one of the worst possible matchups for him.

Tough fight for Magny against Maia. Not much hype outside of Sherdog for Magny anyhow. He will bounce back, for he is Neil.

What hype? Has any fighter EVER got less attention after going on that long of a winning streak?

Yeah...no kidding...TS is an idiot...Magny was under the radar...and besides that, he'll bounce back. He is only 27 and he fought a veteran who happened to have arguably the best jiu-jitsu in MMA.

I was pulling for Magny but the result wasn't much of a shock. The test was whether or not he shored up his grappling enough to survive. The prolonged nature of it and Maia not gassing were a bit surprising, though. I figured if Magny was going to get tapped it would be soon in the first round, but he was scrappy enough to drag it out, which I suppose could be seen as a silver lining lol.

This.

Alll dat Niel magney hype!!!!

what hype?

What are you talking about? Magny has 70% TDD which is highly respectable and the three fights before this was taken down ONCE and took all his opponents down several times.

Meanwhile Maia has a shitty 30% take down percentage. Much worse than even Magny actually even.

And in his last three fights before this he's gone 9/39 on takedowns lol he's been horrible. It sounds like you need to go back and watch some fight pass douche bag, I judge fighters on their most recent fights and for the past couple years the stats back up Magny has had good wrestling and Maia has had shittier wrestling.

Stats can be extremely misleading and it's very evident in a fight like this. First off, look at the level of competition. Maia has fought several guys that are good with range and are specifically looking to keep it standing. They've been strong grapplers as well. Second, Maia has no issue with spamming takedowns. He doesn't give a shit if he misses two takedowns as long as he gets it to the ground on the third. It's similar to fight stats on striking accuracy when you have a boxer flipping out a jab not really giving a shit if it lands as he is gauging distance. It will grossly skew stats.

I don't think Magny has bad TDD overall though, but I do think it matters with level of competition and stylistic matchup. You have fighters that simply can't get into the proper range to feel comfortable shooting on him. As mentioned in the previous paragraph, Maia simply doesn't give a shit. He'll shoot from way out if he needs to and just wants to get his hands on you. Once Maia has his hands on Magny, Maia's takedowns >>>>>>>> Magny's TDD. Magny simply doesn't have the skillset of someone like Rory MacDonald to keep Maia's takedown attempts desperate to where he can't even grab ahold of him.

I have no idea why anyone would jump off the bandwagon just because he was outgrappled by the best grappler in MMA.

I was actually impressed with how long he survived on the ground and his composure there. Believe it or not, his stock went up in my eyes. I didn't expect him to do well against Maia anyhow and I expected him to panic on the ground into a very quick sub.

Stats can be extremely misleading and it's very evident in a fight like this. First off, look at the level of competition. Maia has fought several guys that are good with range and are specifically looking to keep it standing. They've been strong grapplers as well. Second, Maia has no issue with spamming takedowns. He doesn't give a shit if he misses two takedowns as long as he gets it to the ground on the third. It's similar to fight stats on striking accuracy when you have a boxer flipping out a jab not really giving a shit if it lands as he is gauging distance. It will grossly skew stats.

I don't think Magny has bad TDD overall though, but I do think it matters with level of competition and stylistic matchup. You have fighters that simply can't get into the proper range to feel comfortable shooting on him. As mentioned in the previous paragraph, Maia simply doesn't give a shit. He'll shoot from way out if he needs to and just wants to get his hands on you. Once Maia has his hands on Magny, Maia's takedowns >>>>>>>> Magny's TDD. Magny simply doesn't have the skillset of someone like Rory MacDonald to keep Maia's takedown attempts desperate to where he can't even grab ahold of him.

Dagnabit, this was gonna be MY rebuttal. Whatever, I'll try to add to this.

Before I go any further, have you watched Magny's fights more than once? And Maia's? I recommend you do so if you haven't and what I say here will make more sense.

Magny's TDD is bad. 70% TDD sounds fantastic until you think about how they actually decide to tabulate takedown attempts, which can be quite subjective, and who the hell said fighter is facing to rack up that percentage. For future reference, stats without context are often meaningless in MMA. Magny has fought a grand total of one competent submission grappler during his streak, da Lima, and he was taken down, mounted and almost finished with a triangle in that one. Every single fighter that wanted to take him down since Moraes pwned him, from Baczyinski to Kunimoto, has taken down Magny when they chose to pursue the takedown, most multiple times. Magny's TDD is clearly subpar and nowhere near good enough to hang with elite grapplers in the WW division.

Maia's takedowns are awesome. As the guy above me already mentioned, Maia has a tendency to spam takedown attempts in an attempt to bring the fight to the mat by any means necessary, because once he gets you down and gets on top of you that's generally it for the round or fight, depending on the level of grappling his opponent has. You're trying to say that a guy who grapplefucked Fitch, cleanly took down DHK (weird ending, but it counts), took down and dominated Story, Yakovlev, and LaFlare, and gave Rory hell on the mat in their fight has bad takedowns? You absolutely need to stop looking at stats and go actually check these fights out to see how wrong you are. His stats look poor because in the third (or fifth) round he has a tendency to fade and just kill the clock on poor takedowns and flopping to his back in order to waste time and ice the fight, but if you actually look at the credentials of the people he is taking down cleanly and not letting up, you can obviously see that he is one of the best offensive wrestlers in the division, especially early.

Which is why when you combine Magny's poor TDD with Maia's excellent takedowns you see Magny getting planted on his posterior effortlessly and from there it's just a matter of time.

That is all.

Back