• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NCAA Wrestling

And @jack36767 this guy was damn near world champ in the 80s and 90s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Schillaci

Italy actually had an Olympic champ in freestyle in the 80s,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudio_Pollio

that's only 8 years longer than the last 'Russian Russian' to win a gold medal in Freestyle (Beloglazov in 1988) ;)

from watching Euro junior/cadet events, their guys (and gals) aren't that bad and can scrap for medals (if not gold ones), but they disappear at the senior level, no funding I guess.

Italy actually had an Olympic champ in freestyle in the 80s,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudio_Pollio

that's only 8 years longer than the last 'Russian Russian' to win a gold medal in Freestyle (Beloglazov in 1988) ;)

from watching Euro junior/cadet events, their guys (and gals) aren't that bad and can scrap for medals (if not gold ones), but they disappear at the senior level, no funding I guess.
I wonder how much Chamizo actually trained in Italy before joining the NYC RTC. I'm actually surprised he hasn't had more of an impact for Italian wrestling. Or maybe he has and its just not taken hold yet. Italy does have Abraham Conyedo, another Cuban, and he won a bronze at 97kg in 2018.

I wonder how much Chamizo actually trained in Italy before joining the NYC RTC. I'm actually surprised he hasn't had more of an impact for Italian wrestling. Or maybe he has and its just not taken hold yet. Italy does have Abraham Conyedo, another Cuban, and he won a bronze at 97kg in 2018.

Does he train in NYC now?I was under the impression he trained mostly in Dagestan before. A Cuban wrestling for Italy training in Russia.
The Italians have several Cuban coaches as well, they seem to have helped raise the level quite a bit, so that had an impact.

On the other hand another impact is they seem to have knocked up some of the girls <6>

Does he train in NYC now?I was under the impression he trained mostly in Dagestan before. A Cuban wrestling for Italy training in Russia.
The Italians have several Cuban coaches as well, they seem to have helped raise the level quite a bit, so that had an impact.

On the other hand another impact is they seem to have knocked up some of the girls <6>
Oh yeah, Chamizo is a resident athlete for the NYC Regional Training Center. He trains with some of our best coaches and wrestlers in some of the best facilities every day. It was pretty controversial though some of our posters here said it was no big deal. Others disagree. I'm in the middle I suppose.

In Italy the main sport is soccer. It is very difficult to develop a sport outside soccer environment. The success of wrestlers in ufc has increased the popularity of wrestling in Italy.

Last edited:
In Italy the main sport is soccer. It is very difficult to develop a sport outside soccer environment. The success of wrestlers in ufc has increased the popularity of wrestling in Italy.
Outside critics don’t understand that this happens in the US as well. Except that it’s against 3 sports not 1

Outside critics don’t understand that this happens in the US as well. Except that it’s against 3 sports not 1

Ok but in USA wrestling is a collegiate/university sport. In Italy there are about 160 private gyms and a pair of university teams without a championship like NCAA. So there is not a tv exposure...

Last edited:
Ok but in USA wrestling is a collegiate/university sport. In Italy there are about 160 private gyms and a pair of university teams without a championship like NCAA. So there is not a tv exposure...
Im aware. And it still is 4th or 5th on the totem pole and priority for funding. A majority of that number are hobbyists and/or have no intention of going beyond college regardless of style.

much like everything else. The answer is much more complicated than people give credence to.

Im aware. And it still is 4th or 5th on the totem pole and priority for funding. A majority of that number are hobbyists and/or have no intention of going beyond college regardless of style.

much like everything else. The answer is much more complicated than people give credence to.
And @Grappler111 what I'd love to know is how did the 2 guys mentioned here , Minguzzi and Schillaci, reach the top of the wrestling world as Italians. I mean, its pretty incredible. An Olympic champ and world finalist from a country with veeeeery little wrestling.

And @Grappler111 what I'd love to know is how did the 2 guys mentioned here , Minguzzi and Schillaci, reach the top of the wrestling world as Italians. I mean, its pretty incredible. An Olympic champ and world finalist from a country with veeeeery little wrestling.

They are professional athletes under military corps.

So it looks like that Willie character quit Flo this weekend via twitter.

People on themat are acting like it's a big deal but I've honestly never paid attention to the commentary on Flo, just have subscription to watch matches. In fact I thought they should have spent more of their resources on making sure the streaming quality is good along with a good app instead of on all the commentators.

Will this somehow hurt Flo, help Flo or have no real impact?

Our Greco guys seem to go the route of competing for the military. No so much in freestyle

In Italy is the only way to be successful in wrestling and other Olympic individual sports at international level. If you are a national senior champion you have the chance to train full time and be payed.

In Germany there is the Wrestling Bundesliga and you can see few italian wrestlers inside...

Yeeahh boiii we took 97 kg greco gold

They are doing something right in that town

They got 2 womens thaiboxing champs and u23 greco world gold guy there lol

74 is going to be juicy next weekend. Imar, Nolf, Lewis and Cenzo.

Back