NCAA Wrestling

there's rumors that Sidakov want to join ufc after the banned from olympics

That would be a ridiculous yet awesome silver lining.

I've been honeydicked before though (remember Belal Mahov?).

I say no chance. Guys like Sidakov are generational talents. We've still not seen such a wrestler from the caucasus make the jump. Makhov was awfully close. Migran Arutyunyan is fighting and is really very good. Ali Isaev also doing great. But still we've not seen a Russian on the level of Sidakov make the jump and I don't think we will for a long time.

That would be a ridiculous yet awesome silver lining.

I've been honeydicked before though (remember Belal Mahov?).
Yep. Made a lot of noise and then just seemingly changed his mind. We have obviously had quite a few wrestling greats make the move to MMA. But no Russians.

Looks like Kamal Bey is heading to Paris after all. Great news the guy wrestled his ass off in the qualifier.

Last edited:
So it's old news by now but no Russian team at the games. This certainly sucks but the recent Russian Exodus has picked up the slack some. Russian world champs at 57 (Abbakorov), 65 (Musakaev), and 74 (Tsabalov) all repping different countries. And there are a few more at all weights but super heavy that used to don a Russian singlet.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Abdullaev was one of the guys I was most worried about and Spencer Lee techd him. Kid is incredible. But Rei Higuchi is definitely a threat.

Why does Greco Roman wrestling heavyweight division cut to the limit of 130 kg; while freestyle wrestling cuts to 125 kg?
Why doesn't both have the same limit?

It is a shame Kayaalp tested positive would have been great for Mijains last fight to be against his main rival.

Spencer loses. An entire room of parents and kids at wrestling camp were watching and are pretty bummed right now.

Last edited:
Spencer loses as well to Higuchi, Japan on a mission today.
Freestyle scoring/rules annoy me. I’d have loved to see the 2 for Higuchi reviewed. Haven’t seen the replay, but I felt there was exposure for Lee before Higuchi got the takedown.

Kyle Dake upset in the semis by Daichi Takatani. My son is going to be bummed when he gets home from school and finds out.

Really curious how Tazhudinov is going to look tomorrow and if Snyder has a chance.
Snyder is USA’s last hope. No Russia and still no golds. This had the potential to be our best team ever, and it may end up being one of our most disappointing.

Snyder is USA’s last hope. No Russia and still no golds. This had the potential to be our best team ever, and it may end up being one of our most disappointing.

At least the USA ladies still got it and the trend will likely continue. About a third of my son's wrestling class is girls and there are some baddies among them. One of the coach's daughters won 8U state open back in March and beat 4 boys to do it.

At least the USA ladies still got it and the trend will likely continue. About a third of my son's wrestling class is girls and there are some baddies among them. One of the coach's daughters won 8U state open back in March and beat 4 boys to do it.
At that age, girls are tough. You don’t come across many timid girls in wrestling at that age. Many boys end up in wrestling because dad wrestled in high school or because the parents are trying to toughen them up. The girls who tell dad, “I don’t want to wrestle, I want to do ballet” usually don’t get forced on the wrestling mat.

Which state, out of curiosity? One of my son’s 2 losses last season was a girl an age group up who was something absurd like 105-4 on the season. I was just crossing my fingers he avoided a tech fall or pin.

At that age, girls are tough. You don’t come across many timid girls in wrestling at that age. Many boys end up in wrestling because dad wrestled in high school or because the parents are trying to toughen them up. The girls who tell dad, “I don’t want to wrestle, I want to do ballet” usually don’t get forced on the wrestling mat.

Which state, out of curiosity? One of my son’s 2 losses last season was a girl an age group up who was something absurd like 105-4 on the season. I was just crossing my fingers he avoided a tech fall or pin.

We're in Georgia and only recently moved here. I never thought it was a particularly great state for wrestling, but some kids here take it SUPER seriously - although it's usually the dad that's forcing them to go overboard. A kid that beat my son at his first 8U wrestling tournament last year had defined quads and hamstrings and was practically built like a man.

Agree the girls that end up on the wrestling mat usually aren't the ballerinas, although I've seen some get forced by their dads too. But they rarely last more than a few weeks. Have also seen quite a few girls that split their time between wrestling and gymnastics (which they prefer), but their dads are making them emphasize wrestling. Depends on the kid and it's between them and their parents but I don't think you can force a kid to do something they absolutely hate and NOT make them burn out or otherwise grow up to hate the sport.

Last edited:
Japan mopping the floor with the rest of the world this Olympics. 8 of 18 gold medals.

<damn>

3 gold medalists are Russian born and I'm really curious what that number would have been if guys like Sidakov among others had been allowed to compete.

Last edited:
No Russia, but a ton of Russians. Relatively. The depth they have is just ridiculous. Guys 2, 3, 4 ,5 down the ladder move to Bulgaria and Uzbekistan and win Olympic gold.

Quite a few Russians on the greco side too.

Last edited:
Back