MW is now a stacked division...

Trying to discredit silva again arent we.

Yeah a few years ago there were guys like vitor, hendo, franklin, sonnen, okami, wand... Buncha weaklings i tell ya.

he does it every time..

The MW division has always been stacked with talent just like the LHW division...however the WW division needs to catch up as it is probably the softest of the bunch.

The MW division has always been stacked with talent just like the LHW division...however the WW division needs to catch up as it is probably the softest of the bunch.

You are pretty much alone with that opinion.

Belfort, Sonnen, Hendo- All title contenders at LHW, all destroyed by AS

What other division in the UFC do people move UP to avoid the champion? DW is right, people just don't understand how good AS really is

For one thing most agree that neither Belfort nore Sonnen deserved shots at the belt, neither man has won a big match at LHW in years or in Chaels case ever. For another Silva really didnt "destroy" anyone, you could perhaps argue it for the early TKO on Vitor but he lost the first 4 rounds vs Sonnen the first time and the first round vs Sonnen the second time and vs Hendo.

Vitor really shows just the reverse, at LHW he's lost every big fight he's had(Hendo, Overeem, Saku, Tito, Chuck, Randy) since 1998 bar a freak cut stoppage yet at MW he's in many peoples eyes a top 5 guy.

MW for me is much the same as its been for awhile, it has depth in terms of good fighters but besides Anderson is lacking in truely greater fighters with the guys who could have filled those spots(Hendo, Shogun, Rashad, Machida, Mousasi) fighting at 205 instead. You take out the great fighters and it becomes much easier for the guys below to build themselves up where as at LHW guys at a similar level run into greater fighters before they get near the belt.

I keep expecting Rashad Evans to move down to 185. He is a top guy at 205 but I don' see him beating Jones in a rematch - ever... Given his frame and height, it would be an easy move and he has himself speculated on doing so recently. He would likely mow through pretty much all of the top 185 pounders and give us a fresh match up with Silva.

Honestly with the exception of Weidman, Silva doesn't have any other compelling fights at 185. Fighting GSP is plain silly given their size differences. I get that the UFC is pushing for it for money reasons but GSP is not a guy like Rory Macdonald who is growing into his frame, eventually transitioning to 185. He is 32 and quite comfortable at 170.

I say have Silva fight Weidman and then move to 205 permanently where there are plenty of great fights for him. He stated he wants a 10 fight deal. What better place to finish out his career than in a division where he has a half dozen compelling fights right out of the gate?

If you think Rashad can move down to 185 easily then GSP can fight Anderson at 178 catchweight easily....which GSP can no doubt.

The fact that anderson beat hendo and hendo moved to LHW and beat some top guys shows how weak LHW is.

See what i did?

Also, After losing to silva, hendo went up to HW and knocked out fedor, just shows how weak all the heavyweights of all time were... Haha

Hendo has spent majority of his career fighting in 205/heavyweight/openweight and that's where he shines. Especially since Pride cutting down to 185 has really affected his performance.

Anderson fans disagree.

not one MW worthy of a title shot in a whole division tells the entire story.

According to most Anderson fans most of the top 10 or even 5 of MW has been garbage for a while. Maia, Munoz, Boetsch, Weidman are all near 'can' level according to Anderson fans desperate to disparage Weidman and anyone he beats or was about to fight.

The fact that anderson beat hendo and hendo moved to LHW and beat some top guys shows how weak LHW is.

See what i did?

Also, After losing to silva, hendo went up to HW and knocked out fedor, just shows how weak all the heavyweights of all time were... Haha

The problem is your just going by one example and not an espeically great one since Hendo was actually forced down to 185 by loses at 205 in Pride and then again by a loss to Rampage before he fought Anderson, he hardly struggled at 185 either up until the shields fight where cutting became a problem.

Fighters having much more sucess at 185 than 205 on the other hand is far from a one off example, Vitor, Rich, Boetsch etc.

For one thing most agree that neither Belfort nore Sonnen deserved shots at the belt, neither man has won a big match at LHW in years or in Chaels case ever. For another Silva really didnt "destroy" anyone, you could perhaps argue it for the early TKO on Vitor but he lost the first 4 rounds vs Sonnen the first time and the first round vs Sonnen the second time and vs Hendo.

Vitor really shows just the reverse, at LHW he's lost every big fight he's had(Hendo, Overeem, Saku, Tito, Chuck, Randy) since 1998 bar a freak cut stoppage yet at MW he's in many peoples eyes a top 5 guy.

MW for me is much the same as its been for awhile, it has depth in terms of good fighters but besides Anderson is lacking in truely greater fighters with the guys who could have filled those spots(Hendo, Shogun, Rashad, Machida, Mousasi) fighting at 205 instead. You take out the great fighters and it becomes much easier for the guys below to build themselves up where as at LHW guys at a similar level run into greater fighters before they get near the belt.

So if vitor and chael can get easy title shots at lhw, what does that say about the LHW division?

Just saying, We can twist and turn everything to make it seem a certain way.

MW is as tough if not tougher than LHW and WW.

The myth that LHW was so great was perpetuated by pride fans (i was one) shogun lost to forrest, wand lost to chuck. Rampage did ok for a bit but never much more than a title defense vs guess who? Hendo.

The problem is your just going by one example and not an espeically great one since Hendo was actually forced down to 185 by loses at 205 in Pride and then again by a loss to Rampage before he fought Anderson, he hardly struggled at 185 either up until the shields fight where cutting became a problem.

Fighters having much more sucess at 185 than 205 on the other hand is far from a one off example, Vitor, Rich, Boetsch etc.

add Munoz, Sonnen, Bisping, Stann, etc.

Fact is MW is really the only mature division in MMA where less then top 10 guys from the division above can drop and almost instantly become top 10 and main eve3nt fighters. You do not see that dynamic in any other division because guys who drop tend to do about the same or worse when they drop. If they were a mediocre, less then top 10 in the division above, they will be the same in the division below.

Only a GSP nuthugger would say that.

Really? I'm in no shape or form a GSP nuthugger. It's a common opinion that WW right is up there with LW as one of the most stacked divisions in UFC.

So if vitor and chael can get easy title shots at lhw, what does that say about the LHW division?

Just saying, We can twist and turn everything to make it seem a certain way.

MW is as tough if not tougher than LHW and WW.

The myth that LHW was so great was perpetuated by pride fans (i was one) shogun lost to forrest, wand lost to chuck. Rampage did ok for a bit but never much more than a title defense vs guess who? Hendo.

Twisting it does not mean there is any basis in logic though. Most people cam see right through that type of twist.

We all understand that the UFC sometimes embraces the WWE aspect of fights. And when fighters get title shots without having to win a single significant fight in the division it does zero to comment on the divisions strength.

Anderson fans disagree.

not one MW worthy of a title shot in a whole division tells the entire story.

According to most Anderson fans most of the top 10 or even 5 of MW has been garbage for a while. Maia, Munoz, Boetsch, Weidman are all near 'can' level according to Anderson fans desperate to disparage Weidman and anyone he beats or was about to fight.

That's because the MW didvision doesn't give title shots to fighters who lost their last fight, or fighters from the WW division who failed to get the title there.

Back