MW is now a stacked division...

Evaluating current top ten I am not sure how anyone can say that Middleweight isn't still really weak. There is no reason to believe that any of the top ten (other than Silva) would do well in the higher weight class.

1. Anderson Silva (33-4)
2. Chael Sonnen (27-12-1) -Failed at LHW
3. Chris Weidman (9-0)
4. Michael Bisping (23-4) Failed at LHW
5. Tim Boetsch (16-4) Failed at LHW
6. Mark Munoz (12-3) Failed at LHW
7. Vitor Belfort (21-10) Not ranked anywhere near top 10 at LHW in his last years there
8. Yushin Okami (27-7)
9. Luke Rockhold (10-1)
10. Brian Stann (12-5) Failed at LHW

Whereas there are likely many WWs that could achieve top ten status at MW. Maia and Marquardt will likely get into the top ten at WW as well but these guys were top 5 at MW and both top contenders. There are a handful of WWs as good or better.

1. Georges St. Pierre (23-2)
2. Carlos Condit (28-6)
3. Johny Hendricks (14-1)
4. Nick Diaz (26-8, 1 ND)
5. Jon Fitch (24-4-1, 1 NC)
6. Martin Kampmann (20-6) - was Top ten at MW
7. Jake Ellenberger (28-6)
8. Josh Koscheck (17-6)
9. Ben Askren (10-0)
10. Rory MacDonald
11. Nate Marquardt - Top 5 MW
12. Damien Maia - Top 5 MW

Pretty much but I wouldn't sleep on Boestch, If he can get past Costa it will show that he can hang with decent strikers. I much rather have seen the Weidman fight as it probably would have solidified a contender but oh well.

True. I'm kind of hard on Boetsch just because I think he got lucky against Okami and Lombard. BUT, Boetsch is a capable fighter and has the ability to ktfo almost anyone once he goes into beast/rage mode.

lol. As soon as Weidman dropped out for surgery I predicted the same Anderson fans who were calling Boestch garbage and saying Weidman was being gifted the easiest road to a title shot would start building Boetsch up, so if he wins, Anderson can get another striker matchjup.

Like clockwork we now see it beginning above. Wow.

It is your memory that is short. MW being called thin has nothing to do with Anderson. it was called that when Franklin got the belt. It was called that when Anderson got his shot via fan vote. It has been that for much of Anderson's title run. Yes it has been getting better but Anderson fans will be the first to tell you it is not there yet.

Someone posted the old news article and someone linked to an old post where they were talking about how stacked the MW division was back in franklins day.

lol. As soon as Weidman dropped out for surgery I predicted the same Anderson fans who were calling Boestch garbage and saying Weidman was being gifted the easiest road to a title shot would start building Boetsch up, so if he wins, Anderson can get another striker matchjup.

Like clockwork we now see it beginning above. Wow.

Lol, nice try but no

Evaluating current top ten I am not sure how anyone can say that Middleweight isn't still really weak. There is no reason to believe that any of the top ten (other than Silva) would do well in the higher weight class.

1. Anderson Silva (33-4)
2. Chael Sonnen (27-12-1) -Failed at LHW
3. Chris Weidman (9-0)
4. Michael Bisping (23-4) Failed at LHW
5. Tim Boetsch (16-4) Failed at LHW
6. Mark Munoz (12-3) Failed at LHW
7. Vitor Belfort (21-10) Not ranked anywhere near top 10 at LHW in his last years there
8. Yushin Okami (27-7)
9. Luke Rockhold (10-1)
10. Brian Stann (12-5) Failed at LHW

Whereas there are likely many WWs that could achieve top ten status at MW. Maia and Marquardt will likely get into the top ten at WW as well but these guys were top 5 at MW and both top contenders. There are a handful of WWs as good or better.

1. Georges St. Pierre (23-2)
2. Carlos Condit (28-6)
3. Johny Hendricks (14-1)
4. Nick Diaz (26-8, 1 ND)
5. Jon Fitch (24-4-1, 1 NC)
6. Martin Kampmann (20-6) - was Top ten at MW
7. Jake Ellenberger (28-6)
8. Josh Koscheck (17-6)
9. Ben Askren (10-0)
10. Rory MacDonald
11. Nate Marquardt - Top 5 MW
12. Damien Maia - Top 5 MW

Kampmann was never top 10 MW.

Marquart and Maia were top 5 MW many years ago. Maia was still in the top 10 only because rankings are extremely slow to adjust. The victories that earned him that spot took place in 2008-9. He did not do anything worthwhile at MW since then.

I cannot see any other WW other than GSP being top 10 MW now.

Likewise, I don't see any LHW other than Jones being top 10 HW.

I can definiitely see Silva, Weidman, Vitor, Sonnen being top 10 LHW. Just give them a fight with Shogun and that's automatic. People don't remember but Rich Franklin was ranked top 7 LHW as recently as 2009 before the big names in the division passed their prime.

Lol, nice try but no

lol. FACT yes.

When Boetsch was Weidman's next fight you and others were trashing Boetsch as near garbage and severely over rated. that is because you thought Weidman would beat him and you wanted to argue Weidman needed at least one more win before deserving Anderson.

Now suddenly with Weidman out, Boetsch is looking interesting if he wins his next fight. Suddenly the same Anderson fans will be arguing how with a win lower then one he might have got over Weidman, will put him ahead of Weidman in the title shot race and how Boetsch suddenly deserves it.

Anderson fans are so sad. SO obvious and sad.

lol. FACT yes.

When Boetsch was Weidman's next fight you and others were trashing Boetsch as near garbage and severely over rated.

He is severely overranked. I wouldnt say overrated because hes not even the favorite against Costa. Most realizehes not very good even tho hes ranked pretty high right now.

If Costa beats him you won't see me screaming for a title shot for Costa lol.

that is because you thought Weidman would beat him and you wanted to argue Weidman needed at least one more win before deserving Anderson.

No, not deserving. I said one more win will put him in a position where he can demand a title shot and cause a fuss if he doesn't get it.

A victory over Boetsch alone wouldnt get him there.

Now suddenly with Weidman out, Boetsch is looking interesting if he wins his next fight. Suddenly the same Anderson fans will be arguing how with a win lower then one he might have got over Weidman, will put him ahead of Weidman in the title shot race and how Boetsch suddenly deserves it.

Anderson fans are so sad. SO obvious and sad.

Lol, whoa slowdown with all the make believe, I said none of this.

Literally the only thing I said was Boetsch is a capable fighter when he goes into beastmode.

How you took that and twisted it into all of this ill never know. Ypu just made all of this up lol.

Got to love Anderson haters, always making up shit.

It is stacked from #2 on down, but frankly I don't consider most guys a threat to Silva. Sure, there are some compelling match-ups, but there is an emperor and a bunch of prince-lings unworthy to sit on the throne.

:) this ^

Alan Belcher - Good, well rounded fighter, a solid Top 10'er

Chris weidman - Needs to prove himself still imo. Beat Maia (who is now a WW), and Munoz (who's never beaten a Top 10 guy). Good fighter nonetheless.

Cung Le - Getting old now, probably only 2-3 fights left in him depending on how they go. IF he get's brutally beaten down like he did against Wand I could see him retiring.

Hector lombard - Great striker, excellent Judo game. Probably the most skilled guy from this list. Let's see him perform against a truly top striker though, eh?

Michael bisping - Only just got his first ever Top 10 win against a good striker in Stann (albeit that his ground game leaves a lot to be desired). A solid guy, but he needs to string some more Top 10 wins together to really prove himself.

Rich Franklin - When was the last time he won at 185? I like Rich, but he was successful when the UFC's MW Div was hilariously void of talent. He's a good fighter though, excellent cardio.

Tim Boetch - Took advantage of a slow Okami to get the Comeback of the Year 2012 Victory, and beat Lombard in a very questionable decision. Yet another former 205'er (a common theme among many Top 10 MW's, hmmm).

Vitor Belfort - Exciting, aggressive striker with fast hands, but has a history of inconsistency and choking in big fights. The upcoming bout with Bisping will give us a true sense of whether or not he can still compete at the highest level.

MW isn't a division that is as bad as some people make it out to be, but I rank it below LW, WW, LHW and just below HW.

Back