• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

multi-level marketing Gimmicks

My sister tried to rope me in on her Amway crew. Kept emailing me about investing in her "business."

I said send me a business plan and I'll look it over. I got an Amway website link instead. SMH.

I did Amway a long time ago; if you're a certain personality type, the system works very well. I was in for a relatively short period of time and was already a "direct" (six or more wide) and I was several deep. I was making money and getting quality merchandise at great rates; I still miss their laundry detergent.

I left Amway because aspects of their business model made my skin crawl. They sell the dream, but leave out the fact that less than 1% of people have the strength of will to work the system as hard as it takes. Hearing "no" fifty times for every "yes" is very difficult and very few people have the tenacity to stick with it.

I went to a big conference where a speaker spent an hour telling a room full of new people about how great a time it was to get in because they were starting on the internet, and how it would represent exponential growth. It was going to be a golden age. After the conference, I was invited to a meeting with the speaker, and it was only for directs and above. In that meeting he told us that growth was basically going to be the same as always and we shouldn't get discouraged, but use the "internet is instant growth" angle on new people. On the drive home after that meeting I told my supplier I was done and he could have my people.

Although I was pretty successful, I never, ever told people it was easy. I told them that it was hard work but it could be very profitable if they stuck with it, and even if they couldn't put that much time into it, they could still get the product at good rates. It went well for me because people trusted me, and they trusted me because I never lied to them. I was also very relaxed in my approach to people. I was never nervous, I never worried about getting the recruit, and always left it to them to ask questions, so there was absolutely no pressure.

I imagine I could have done quite well if I'd stuck with it, but the lies my suppliers were telling on a regular basis were too much for me. The idea of selling someone a dream they almost certainly were not going to achieve made me physically ill.

I once had a former high school teacher of mine (gym teacher) try to solicit me into a pyramid scheme a few years after high school. Attended one of their groups where they tried to convince new members to sign on.

It dealt with VOIP telephone service in 1999.

It is a strange transformation when seemingly intelligent people you know get involved in this, and start to look and act like hypnotized zombies. I had an old boss, smart guy, masters in political science. He came up to me one day and was talking in a strange tone, and started up with "would you like to be a part of an amazing revolution, getting in great shape and selling a product that contains a perfect balance of micronutrients?" Since he wasnt in good shape I told him I would observe him take this so called miracle product himself for a few months, and then once he transformed I might consider. He looked mad and needless to say, he never improved his condition at all and was stuck with a shitload of the bs snake oil product.

Thanks for sharing the stories guys, keep them coming. This is an interesting topic, at least for me. I will share a story in a few days.

I've seen more than a few presentations in my day. Made some decent money off of one, and lost some decent money on some others, but came out ahead in the end. Don't knock passive income

Guy I knew in h.s., his hot-ass wife got into Ignite Energy. God what a scam. She still does it (following her million dollar dream after a decade in boring dead-end pharmaceutical sales apparently lol). They are both wealth/fitness/life coaches now or some shit.

Side note, I think I posted about this part before but the husband sued some penis growth co. in 2005 after consuming 30 POUNDS of their crap and seeing no additional 'enhancement'. In fact if you google his name it's most of the 1st page of results haha...

so your old man is a professional con artist? Seems like a stand up guy.

Yeah, well, he could beat your dad in a fight.

But no, not professional, self-taught.

I did Amway a long time ago; if you're a certain personality type, the system works very well.

very few people have the tenacity to stick with it.

Exactly.

The negative stories in here are all about people who thought they could make a fortune doing nothing. They sound lazy and were failures before starting, of course they weren't going to make money.

If companies are selling that idea, they deserve to be shut down.

My old man worked his arse off, a lot of it was spending his time supporting those under him. He made a lot of people money - you can't make money in MLM unless the people under you also make money.

But there are other personality traits that you need, I could continue but it's boring.

I've seen more than a few presentations in my day. Made some decent money off of one, and lost some decent money on some others, but came out ahead in the end. Don't knock passive income

True.

Though with MLM even after that passive income starts flowing you still need to work to maintain the team.

I did Quixtar/Amway few years back. I think the system those individual groups teach is bad. They were focusing on recruiting instead of establishing a good retail shop. Few of us decided to focus only on selling the product. We went to night clubs and restaurants to sell energy drink mix, also baseball games and such. Problem was the prices we paid were basically retail and we had no qty price breakdown from Amway. Needless to say, that was the last straw. Met some good folks along the way and had a blast.

My old Marine Corps MSGT tried to rope me in on one of these schemes. Felt bad for him, actually thought he might be calling just to see what's up. Oh well, how the mighty fall.

i was working a pretty shitty job at the time though so i guess i can't say much.

nonsense on facebook all the time. Stupid motivation quotes and bragging about his vast riches.
What he doesn't mention is that he also works stacking bread in the bakery aisle of a local supermarket.

I find really disturbing that some people believe their own BS that they post motivational fallacies on FB to motivate them selves its like they need pump their motivation and egos to convince them selves that their obviously flawed logic would one day work.

Those are they types of people who only rely on idealism thinking they can overcome real world obstacles.

They even ignore certain industry theories like economy of scale this is where some young entrepreneurs refuse to accept.

And only rely on pure idealism to push their products.

To much of "If you build it they will come".

It is a strange transformation when seemingly intelligent people you know get involved in this, and start to look and act like hypnotized zombies. I had an old boss, smart guy, masters in political science. He came up to me one day and was talking in a strange tone, and started up with "would you like to be a part of an amazing revolution, getting in great shape and selling a product that contains a perfect balance of micronutrients?" Since he wasnt in good shape I told him I would observe him take this so called miracle product himself for a few months, and then once he transformed I might consider. He looked mad and needless to say, he never improved his condition at all and was stuck with a shitload of the bs snake oil product.

Ah hahahaha I am glad you called him out for his BS.

Yeah its like a Zombie outbreak they just multiply.

I have a really good highschool friend. We don't get to see each other as often as we would like, but i like the guy and respect him very much.

One evening he and his wife asked me and my wife to come over for food and a "business opportunity". It was the Lioness thing.

As soon as i heard words like "a very smart man realized", "once in a lifetime opportunity", "now or never" i kind of leaned back but stayed there and listened due to mutual respect.

It was one of those "money back instantly" things but with options on future purchases and a rather complicated system (and i don't consider myself stupid) of paying out if you lure more people in. They don't call it a pyramid but a binary system ("because, you see, it's not top to bottom but left to right").

Long story short: You have several stores that you can buy from (your regular items: food, groceries, gas ec) and if you buy through that system, you get around 1-2 % rebate instantly while "the big money" comes through those options.

Quick google search on my part found out that the "smart man" from the start of the story is warned about in several EU states, the company is located in one tax heaven, while several account are in other tax heavens. In the end, when you have no more people to "mentor" and lure in to buy the options (through you) the last basterd that bought the licence and options is going to get screwed. Even if i was wrong on those and the company was completely legit, it was a customer tracking service, which i'm not a fan of.

His wife and him really believed in the "system" and i felt like a would lose a really good friend if i told him my honest opinion (which i tend to do) so we accepted the "money back instantly" thing and declined on the options and buying of the positions. Turns out, the money back comes instantly only if you make the purchase through the cuopons (for which i would need to go to the other part of town to obtain) so we slowly phased out even from that. We explained it to them, and they seemed to understand.

Another friend had a girl that lost a fortune on the Herbalife scheme. He tried to get me to buy a licence so i can get "quality protein shakes cheaper". At first, i jokingly said to him it's a pyramid but he said it's OK. After money problems started, I told him to get her the hell out of that, he freaked out and basically told me to mind my own business (i have a habit of being a smartass, i should have handled that better). After they broke up, he told me i was right but he couldn't do anything about it at the time.

Last edited:
Hah, I got sucked into the Cutco thing too during one summer when I was 17. Felt like a dbag trying to pawn this shit off on friends and family. I quit after a couple of weeks, but I wound up gifting my set that I bought to my parents. Those scissors are pretty durable, you know, since cutting pennies is something we all do on a regular basis.

Fucking LOL!! I totallly forgot about cutting the penny. Jesus, that brought me back to 1989.

i heard about this thing called vemma/verve a few years ago. its like some energy drink that ive never seen anyone drink. ive seen these people post pics of themselves with money, parties, and fancy cars. talking about "im an entrepreneur(they refer to themselves as this a lot). do you want to be like me and have all this money? you can be one too! just hmu." they target teens and college kids mostly. most of them dont make more than a few hundred dollars a year trying to sell this stuff. there's a massive thread on this on ign where someone asked if they have heard about this and a bunch of these guys made accounts saying it wasnt a scam.

i heard about this thing called vemma/verve a few years ago. its like some energy drink that ive never seen anyone drink. ive seen these people post pics of themselves with money, parties, and fancy cars. talking about "im an entrepreneur(they refer to themselves as this a lot). do you want to be like me and have all this money? you can be one too! just hmu." they target teens and college kids mostly. most of them dont make more than a few hundred dollars a year trying to sell this stuff. there's a massive thread on this on ign where someone asked if they have heard about this and a bunch of these guys made accounts saying it wasnt a scam.

Yeah, I think another problem, like the guy who was at Amway, is that even with good products, you don't get good pricing. So it is hard to sell anything, when half the product's price is going upstream.

I looked at some Amway stuff, and people say the stuff is good, it just priced at a silly level

Yeah, I think another problem, like the guy who was at Amway, is that even with good products, you don't get good pricing. So it is hard to sell anything, when half the product's price is going upstream.

I looked at some Amway stuff, and people say the stuff is good, it just priced at a silly level

The product is good. It's just that they sell you at retail price, supposedly "distributor" price lol.

My dumb ass brother in law is currently involved in a pyramid scheme. He buys coffee from someone higher up in the pyramid and then he tries to recruit people under him to buy it from him and sell it to people below them. It's a pretty classic pyramid.

If you look at his company's website, it's all about how you can get rich without going into specifics of the business model. Total scam.

http://www.ganolife.us/

The hilarious thing is, if you watch the video on their homepage, they literally build the pyramid right in front of your eyes starting around 3:50.

Lol I had to watch it. That was literally a pyramid.

I made this friend last winter who started hitting me up all the time about his weight loss challenge and the started saying he was putting me on the guest list for his exclusive parties. He's wondering why I don't talk to him now

MLM's aren't necessarily gimmicks. They do make a lot of people a lot of money. Problem is, you have to be the personality which is totally fine with feeding bullshit to people below you and totally fine on brain washing the weak minded who are looking to get rich, quick.

I humored a friend who presented me with a MLM opportunity. My friend said he had a "mentor" that he wanted me to meet. So, I meet the mentor and the guy almost immediately starts making passively makes comments about the expensive cars he owns, how he works only 20 hours a week, how his significant other is retired, how he vacations all year, how he has developed a "LEGACY" and has "FINANCIAL FREEDOM!" all in 5 months of being "mentored" in this MLM. Then the mentor basically said it was a big deal that I was meeting him, and he starts name dropping other rich "mentors" who mentored him, and if I want to be successful I have to trust him entirely and work for his trust for months by going to meetings, blah blah. So, after about an hour of this my friend and this "mentor" invited me to an hour long presentation. I thought this was all very entertaining so I bit and said I would go.

I didn't hear anything about where or when this presentation was until the day of. I get a text with the address and I look at it thinking he sent me the wrong text because the address was my friends address. So I double checked with him and he confirmed that it was at his place.. Uhh, ok.

So I get there a bit early, go downstairs, and I see all of this product placement lined up around the room with about 10 other people already there. All of these people were wearing cheap suits, or cheap dress clothes and had that glazed look over their eyes, like they were just binge sniffing markers for hours. I go to sit down and find a little energy drink from a brand I had never heard of before waiting in my chair. So I put it on the ground and wait.

About 10 minutes later, the "mentor" comes down the stairs, (also wearing a cheap suit) and you could just tell he was in the fuckin zone. He glides across the room, and immediately jumps into the "What would you DO if you had a MILLION DOLLARS?" "what are your DREAMS?? WHAT is your LEGACY!?". And for every question he would ask, he would walk over to an energy drink on my friends shelf (which all had the labels conveniently facing towards us) grab it, open it, and just hold it for like 10 minutes while people answered. Sometimes he would drink out of it, sometimes he wouldn't. But he wouldn't put it down until he felt his questions were sufficiently answered. The sad part was, people were taking him seriously and were giving answers like
"I WOULD BUY A JET"
"I WOULD BUY A MONKEY"
"I WOULD GET A HOUSE WITH A.. WITH A.. SLIDE ON IT WHICH SLIDES DOWN INTO A WATERPARK ON MY LAWN"
"I WOULD SOLVE WORLD HUNGER"

Fuck, these people were stupid.

So after about 40 minutes of this rah rah BS, he finally starts explaining how it works for the next hour. And by explaining how it works, I mean he starts trying to indoctrinate everyone. He starts saying things like

"your friends and family will tell you this is a cult, or this is a pyramid scheme, or this is a scam. But they are all wrong. Forget everything you know about business. Forget everything you know about being successful and ignore everything your friends or family try to tell you"

"They say this is a pyramid scheme because only the people on the top make money. Well guess what. That's how ALL companies work! All companies are a pyramid scheme!"

"I was just like you folks, sitting there being very critical of this whole thing until I saw the light. I used to drink Coca-Cola a lot, and then one day I thought.. what if I stopped drinking Coke, and started drinking these Energy Drinks which I sold through MY BUSINESS. I would just be paying myself!!!.. And that's how successful minds think"

My favorite quote of his was when he said something along the lines of
"People will tell you that this is a cult. But a cult is a group of people who all think the same way. Do we all think the same way?" as he would look around the room and people would chuckle because they thought that it was such a stupid idea, because they are all unique individuals building a "LEGACY!" and that it totally isn't a cult, even though the mentor just spent the last hour trying to convince everyone to think the same way and listen only to him.

Finally, for the next 20 minutes he actually explains how MLM's work. Which basically works like this:

you open your own online business where your friends buy product through YOUR store where 33.33% of whatever they spend in your store GOES BACK TO THEM IN CASH!!! Then you get your friends to open up their own store for their friends and then their friends openuptheirstoresandthentheirfriendsiosaeaskjea.

He would never explain anything in detail though, he would always give very broad statements and kind of just gloss over the details.

At the end of the presentation, people were clapping and lining up to shake his hand, all excited and smiling thinking that they are that much closer to living the dream by only working "20 hours a week". It was a little disturbing, actually.

So I told my friend I was not interested and that was that. I started to follow his progress to see if he was going to "make it big one day". Basically, this guy has been trying to do this for over a year now and has not been getting anything from it financially. He has purchased a bunch of motivational material, a bunch of self-confidence books, and he goes down with his mentor almost every to some convention somewhere. He lives with his parents, and can't afford to purchase nice things for himself or even basic necessities.

And these people who tell you "3 hours a day" or "20 hours a week" are full of shit. They are constantly meeting with their downlines, and their downlines prospective downlines. They are always driving/flying/whatever to these "conventions" where they basically just feed you a bunch of BS. They look down on "9-5" jobs, when they are working sporadically throughout the day, or spending their whole weekends/nights/days going to conventions. They also encourage that when you are out, to strike up conversations with random people to see if they are interested in becoming FINANCIALLY FREE!!

So I guess the whole point of this story is, if you are someone who likes to constantly be fake all the time and likes to meet with random people all through out the day and are good at luring dumb people into being your downline, then MLM's are for you!

"a very smart man realized", "once in a lifetime opportunity", "now or never"

lol i love those bullshit buzzphrases.

that's a real word btw, looked it up.

Back