• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

multi-level marketing Gimmicks

I remember my RA my freshman year wound up @ Primerica and tried to recruit everyone in the dorms for it. Not sure How he fared And I guess the new big ting is Advocare

The difference between Primerica and most other MLM companies is that Primerica is asking you to sell great products that people actually need. I dont work for them but I did use them to help secure my financial future. I also learned a lot from them before deciding to use them to invest.

Of course they talked to me about joining the company. I didnt do it because it sounded like a job I would not enjoy, but I still believe its a great opportunity for the right type of person.

The difference between Primerica and most other MLM companies is that Primerica is asking you to sell great products that people actually need. I dont work for them but I did use them to help secure my financial future. I also learned a lot from them before deciding to use them to invest.

Of course they talked to me about joining the company. I didnt do it because it sounded like a job I would not enjoy, but I still believe its a great opportunity for the right type of person.

Somebody tried to recruit me for Primerica. When I found out it wasn't actually the person I spoke to that would make recommendations, but some accountant I never even met downtown, I got turned off.

I went to one of their regional meetings. They are a typical MLM scheme and I don't trust MLM's whatsoever.

yeah, that's messed up. friends shouldn't get involved in business together. if it doesn't work out, the friendship is destined to fall apart.

Damn. I just read this as me and my friend of 15 years are going to start working together starting a flooring company. Lol we will be on our first job together in 30 minutes.
I'm not worried about it though. We've been best friends for a lonnnnnnng time and have never argued and seem to always be on the same page. This is the only person I've ever lived with and had no issues.
Wish us luck!

Somebody tried to recruit me for Primerica. When I found out it wasn't actually the person I spoke to that would make recommendations, but some accountant I never even met downtown, I got turned off.

I went to one of their regional meetings. They are a typical MLM scheme and I don't trust MLM's whatsoever.

Im not an expert on it or anything and I dont really know how the MLM aspects of the company work. I just know that people need the products that they are selling and most people dont realize it.

Im not an expert on it or anything and I dont really know how the MLM aspects of the company work. I just know that people need the products that they are selling and most people dont realize it.

People need good financial planning by an accredited person, I agree

they don't NEED Primerica per se. But Primerica is very good at convincing you that you NEED to join them.

they don't NEED Primerica per se. But Primerica is very good at convincing you that you NEED to join them.

I agree. I think were on the same page.

We would probably disagree on the fact that I believe its a great opportunity for the right type of person, but I could see the argument both ways.

Damn. I just read this as me and my friend of 15 years are going to start working together starting a flooring company. Lol we will be on our first job together in 30 minutes.
I'm not worried about it though. We've been best friends for a lonnnnnnng time and have never argued and seem to always be on the same page. This is the only person I've ever lived with and had no issues.
Wish us luck!

good luck!

You can read up on articles about self-managing groups. These are groups with no formal hierarchical structure. In a hierarchical structure, the legitimacy of power becomes an easy way to dictate work flow and have control over productivity and business decisions. But in the absence of such structure, you're left with a set of completely different dynamics.

I am starting my masters in Organizational Development and know a thing or two about process consultation. I even TA'd for a class called "working in task groups" in which groups of 8 were formed to put together a big presentation at the end of the semester. My job was to observe them, analyse the group in terms of their interpersonal processes (how decisions are made, power dynamics formed through pairing, emotions in group, level of involvement, patterns of interaction, influence of physical environment on the group etc.) and provide a detailed report to the professor after each class. I also had to read and grade their logs where I got feedback of their personal experiences. I tell you what man, so much frustration and emotions are left unsaid, and that creates so many obstacles. Things eventually blow up as I've experienced it as a TA and it can get ugly. But before that happens, everyone collectively agrees that everything is so rosy and wonderful. But when I read their logs, it is anything but.

I had to intervene to get them back on track or even provide one-on-one coaching to help them out. Overall my teams outperformed other teams as they learned to understand their processes better, but my interventions created a sense of dependency over me which moves away from the self-managed group dynamic, towards a "What does Seb want us to do" hierarchical structure. What I'm saying is even for someone like me it is very difficult to gauge.

I'd be more than happy to suggest readings on how to improve self-managed groups, although I am not sure if a group of two constitutes a self-managed group (there are varying theories or schools of thought on that). My main suggestion is to keep communication open, clear and honest at all times. Don't keep anything packed in, and if the other person reacts emotionally, don't take it personally. Easy to say and harder to do, I know.

I agree. I think were on the same page.

We would probably disagree on the fact that I believe its a great opportunity for the right type of person, but I could see the argument both ways.

I'm heavily biased towards MLM's and think they're all evil lol

I've read up on them just now and they don't seem to be that bad. But I remember the meetings I went to and thinking afterward "god I dodged a bullet. I'm so glad I didn't sign anything"

good luck!

You can read up on articles about self-managing groups. These are groups with no formal hierarchical structure. In a hierarchical structure, the legitimacy of power becomes an easy way to dictate work flow and have control over productivity and business decisions. But in the absence of such structure, you're left with a set of completely different dynamics.

I am starting my masters in Organizational Development and know a thing or two about process consultation. I even TA'd for a class called "working in task groups" in which groups of 8 were formed to put together a big presentation at the end of the semester. My job was to observe them, analyse the group in terms of their interpersonal processes (how decisions are made, power dynamics formed through pairing, emotions in group, level of involvement, patterns of interaction, influence of physical environment on the group etc.) and provide a detailed report to the professor after each class. I also had to read and grade their logs where I got feedback of their personal experiences. I tell you what man, so much frustration and emotions are left unsaid, and that creates so many obstacles. Things eventually blow up as I've experienced it as a TA and it can get ugly. But before that happens, everyone collectively agrees that everything is so rosy and wonderful. But when I read their logs, it is anything but.

I had to intervene to get them back on track or even provide one-on-one coaching to help them out. Overall my teams outperformed other teams as they learned to understand their processes better, but my interventions created a sense of dependency over me which moves away from the self-managed group dynamic, towards a "What does Seb want us to do" hierarchical structure. What I'm saying is even for someone like me it is very difficult to gauge.

I'd be more than happy to suggest readings on how to improve self-managed groups, although I am not sure if a group of two constitutes a self-managed group (there are varying theories or schools of thought on that). My main suggestion is to keep communication open, clear and honest at all times. Don't keep anything packed in, and if the other person reacts emotionally, don't take it personally. Easy to say and harder to do, I know.

Today went really well actually. We are good at seeing what the other is thinking and have a very similar work ethic. ATM he is actually the "lead" on the job(s) because the company he used to work for is feeding him the work but it seems like we both are in charge and are equal for the most part.
We came to a point today where we hit a wall because we needed a couple wax rings. I asked "you want me to run for them and you can stay and finish xyz?" He replied that's what he was thinking already because he's better at what needed to be done (I'm regaining my form as I haven't consistently done flooring in a few years) and our time would be best used in the way we handled it.
Its really good when you are same on the page and operate the same. His weaknesses are my strengths too and vice versa. Something needed to be explained to the homeowner and she wasn't quite getting it and I stepped in and explained in a way she understood. He's been on this job fdor 2 days and today was my first but at the end of today she was asking me all the questions .
I think we will be just fine but you never know.

When I was working my way through university, I posted my resume on a job seeker site. I received a call from Primerica and went to an interview. They had their representatives meeting that day, and they were constantly chanting slogans and doing high-fives with each other. I was told about their business model, and decided the whole thing seemed more like a weird cult than an actual worksite. I didn't answer their calls since.

My advice is don't get involved in these things. You will end up alienating people you meet by being pushy, which is a requirement for this field.

people have tried to get me into it, but only once did i go (just for shits and gigs) and the guy actually showed the marketing plan and said

"as you can see its triangle, or pyramid shape. a triangle is the most stable and strongest shape for construction. a pyramid shape is so strong, there are pyramids that have lasted thousands of years. pyramid business plans can be just as strong"

it took all my power not to fall out of my chair laughing

my friend actually did well with them. not making money passively from recruits, but going to salons and selling product like a full time job

I mean...I have an MBA where I had to take advanced courses in accounting, finance, economics, statistics, marketing, etc. Plus I've been working in business for 20 years. And I'm looking at this levels, structure, compensation chart or whatever you want to call it from my brother in law's company and it looks like nonsense that someone just made up. It's like...the scientology of business or something.

http://www.ganolife.us/mywebsite/site_templates/ganolife006/assets/dox/BonusPlanOverviewEng.pdf

weird, none of my business classes taught me about 6 master bonus generations for triple diamond. i guess im not star 500 qualified

MLMs aside, most financial planners aren't that great. Like personal trainers, most are averageat best. Really knowing the info on your own gives you a massive advantage

I'm a member of USANA. However, I don't actively recruit and just rely on retail. I earn off it that is decent but not anywhere close to make me quit my regular job. That absolutely requires a big network and I'm just not built to hook random people like that.

I first encountered these schemes many years ago. Not long after I had left university, I was working in a small supermarket and was desperate to start a proper job and start making decent money.
A uni "friend" of mine contacted me and asked me if id like to meet up with him and another old mate to discuss a new business idea.
I thought why not, at worst it would just be a night out if the business idea didnt work out.

So the two of them come around to pick me up the following day from my house. First red flag!
Both of them are wearing suits and ties that made them look like sleazy estate agents. Second red flag!!
So being a niave soul who'd give anyone the benefit of the doubt, I got in the car and off we went. In the car these two are being abnormally pleasant and polite. Third red flag!!

I asked them where we were going and they told me that we had an "appointment" with a friend at her house. My requests for information about this idea fell on deaf ears. They made polite small talk until we pulled up to a big house that was undergoing considerable renovation work.
Went in and met the "friend", a rather busy looking indian woman in her 50s who looked at me in disgust, probably because I didnt dress for the occasion like the others.

She took us into a dining room and instantly started her clearly rehearsed talk.
Turned out she was selling aloe vera products and wanted to recruit me as an executive salesman. Clearly the other 2 had already been roped into this and she was their superior, hence the suits.
She started explaining about how amazing these products are and that they have amazing life preserving properties blah blah blah.
Instantly I clocked onto what was happening and decided to play along and fuck with them.
I acted all interested and asked loads of questions regarding how much money I could make (the house, she told me was what she'd bought within a year of starting this business and she was now having it renovated because she was so lavish and had grown bored with its look) and basically making all the right noises they wanted to hear. I took them all the way upto signing the contract they had. Just before jotting down my signature, I did the old Columbo trick, "....just one more thing".

What happened next was me ripping thier bullshit apart for the next hour and a half!! The answers I got were beyond pathetic, the two who had bought me there looked like they were about to cry. meanwhile the indian woman looked like she was about to lash out and punch me clean in the face for busting her scheme wide open.

Part of the contract stated that you HAD to buy at least

Holy wall of text batman!! I do apologise, didn't realise how much id written.

My old man took an early redundancy and went into MLM. Has made 6 figures (plus cars paid for, OS trips etc) for decades, now basically retired and collecting residual income.

The basic principal is sound and makes a lot of sense.

Not all strawberries and cream, mind you.

so your old man is a professional con artist? Seems like a stand up guy.

My BIL got suckered in by Primerica for a while, left before any real damage could be done to himself financially, thank god.

Dated a girl who's mom did Pampered Chef. She actually made enough to be able to pay cash for a new car ( A 3000GT, this was in 98), but she had to hustle. There was no 3 hours of work a week, this woman lived and breathed pampered chef. She was a stay at home mom with both kids in high school, so I think she was just bored.

Back