MMA overtaken Boxing 100%

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by RNC555, Dec 2, 2019.

1. gevoudane

gevoudane ʇlǝq ʞɔɐlq

MMA fans are probably the reason why MMA is still one of the lowest paying professional sports .
    MMA is not even in the top 40 for pay for athletes. Most minor leagues out pay MMA. The average player in MLS makes almost 150,000 a year. With the marque players well over 4 million a year. And the MLS is really not that popular.
    If MMA doent die out of popularity it realistically could be well over 10 more years before the pay increases substantially.

2. sweetviolenturg

sweetviolenturg Black Belt Professional Fighter

You do realize that the fact that Canelo & Kovalev waited for the Mansvidal-Diaz fight to conclude means nothing other than the head of DAZN & the Canelo-Kovalev promoter wanted as many eyes on their fight as possible. So, a couple of days before the fight they announced that they'd do combat sports fans a favor by allowing viewers to see both by making sure that Canelo-Kovalev didn't make their ring walk until the UFC main event was over. It was a decision that was beneficial to them so they did it. And, as a result, they got a lot of new subscribers in the process. So, it was one of those rare decisions that was good for the promoters & the fans alike.
    In other words, no one was "made" to do anything because MMA is more popular than boxing. That's just not true. In every reputable survey of the most popular sports in the USA boxing is more popular than MMA. It's close but boxing is still ahead in the number of viewers. And worldwide it's no contest, boxing is the more popular sport.
    Could that change in time? Of course, it could. Anythings possible. But I doubt if it will be any time soon. Boxing is enjoying a resurgence in popularity & it isn't going anywhere.
    As I said in my previous post, both sports are great & there's plenty of room for both to exist, grow & thrive.

DeJulez and nevernamed like this.
  3. Murrrdah

Murrrdah Forever Young

Canelo has to pay cartels off and Wilder
    got them child support bills.
    Whatchu expect?

4. USAUSA1

USAUSA1 Green Belt

The problem with boxing is that there are multiple promotions but no clear cut number one. Some say Premier Boxing but they don't have all the top fighters. Every sport has a dominant league except boxing and soccer I guess(FIFA control everything)

If Dana has his way, Zuffa Boxing will be the most dominant boxing promotion in 10 years.

5. Dyson350

Dyson350 Orange Belt

All these MMA fighters wouldnt be asking for boxing fights if this was true.

Okajima and Law Dog like this.
  6. AndrewGolota48

AndrewGolota48 Silver Belt

Their pay and popularity are separate issues, if Khabib and Conor were allowed to promote their own fight, they would have made batshit insane amounts of money selling 2.5 million PPVs.

7. EdmundsEmptyBankAccount

EdmundsEmptyBankAccount Pulsing expert from Pulsylvania Double Yellow Card

Is this a new trend where Sherdoggers don't even quote and ignore your questions?

I don't understand why you tagged me with PPV figures and assertions of stuttering?

8. nevernamed

nevernamed Purple Belt

I dunno, I think boxing is doing ok.. They wanted to maximize viewership, which I understand, yet they also pissed off people in the arena, so I don't think that will happen again. But boxing is doing fine..

sweetviolenturg likes this.
  9. Bend NvR Break

Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

Boxing killed MMA. See Conor McGregor. Got a taste of boxing money and boxing's history of being picky about opponents and hasn't taken MMA serious since.

Lord Ashley Barnes likes this.
  10. updowniri

updowniri Orange Belt

Gregoire1 and RNC555 like this.
  11. Regal Boy

Regal Boy Blue Belt

The only reason MMA fighters don't make as much money as boxers is because MMA isn't regulated under the Ali Act.

If/when it does become regulated under the act, MMA fighters will make as much as boxers, if not more (as MMA is growing beyond boxing in popularity). Khabib made 6 million vs Poirier. If MMA was under the Ali act, he'd make over 15 million for that fight.

In fact, the average boxer doesn't make as much as the average MMA fighter, and if MMA were under the Ali act, the average MMA fighter would end up making several hundred thousands dollars a year. The top of the heap guys would make tens of millions of dollars a year. And this is assuming no growth in viewership. If there is growth (which there will be) it would go up even higher.

12. wolfss

wolfss Purple Belt

boxers who made $1500 on the Canelo undercard don’t need a full time job? You sir are stupid.

Sir Punchalot likes this.
  13. ConorFacts

ConorFacts Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Shit thread by another insecure fan.

UFC is the premiunm league.

14. jjresq

jjresq Red Belt

In terms of popularity MMA has peaked Rondas gone and Conor is losing

15. wolfss

wolfss Purple Belt

Canelo cards are premium league too, stupid!! Yes boxing pays more to a handful of fighters because of the sponsors they bring in. But the rest of the boxers make pennies. Mma/ufc is starting to really get ahead and sponsors will come. What happen when canelo can’t sell a fight?? How come we haven’t heard about triple G anymore. It’s because without Canelo nobody cares. All said and done, I don’t care who makes the most money. I just want to be entertained and boxing does not do it for me.

RNC555 likes this.
  16. eddi

eddi Orange Belt

just because jack dempsey wrestled for strength training and wrote a trash book while brain damaged doesn't make him a mixed martial artist, any full time jiujutsu fighter or current ufc fighter would wipe the floor with him.

RNC555 likes this.
  17. clackers

clackers Purple Belt

I'm a huge fan of MMA however boxing is stil a bigger draw for me

The big boxing cards are not recycled fighters that have been kid so many times

The talent pool Is just alot bigger in boxing with many more organisations and boxing
    Has alot if grass riots programs in place in every country which has created a much bigger sport

UFC is still relatively young in comparison

18. boss429

boss429 BowtieA$$a$$in

What? Didn't Canelo vs Kovalev take place in the same day as Mas/ Diaz?

Are you saying Canelo intentionally changed the date to directly compete with the UFC event and if so are you implying he did this out of fear? Lol.

I love both sports but was watching Boxing before MMA was even a thing so it will always be my true love and the atmosphere around a big fight in Boxing is something MMA has yet to be able to match.

As excited as I would get for Anderson/ Fedor fights and even Mas/ Diaz it's never matched the feeling and electricity in the air of a Tyson, Whitaker, Mayweather and bow a days Canelo, GGG or Fury fight, or even Crawford, Spence or Lomo fight, it's just a totally different atmosphere with Boxing.

19. LoneStalker

LoneStalker Brown Belt

/Thread.

20. stav

stav Brown Belt

More money at the pointy end does not mean more money overall or more popularity.

For years athletes like tiger woods, Schumacher, Floyd and pac man were the highest paid athletes, but basket ball and soccer were far more popular and had more money in the sports overall than boxing, f1 and golf.

MMA(UFC) is overall more popular than boxing, even though the HW division is the best it has been for a long time.