MMA overtaken Boxing 100%

No, I don't. And I don't think Joshua would have beaten mid-2000s Klitschko or Povetkin. He had enough problems with the badly faded versions.

I'm still waiting for an explanation of what Harrison did in his pro career that makes you think he's better than Joshua.

I'll concede that Joshua wouldn't have beaten a younger Wladimir. That doesn't mean that Harrison is better or that the division was stacked with guys that would have beaten AJ during Wlad's title reign.

Yeah right. Boxing's sad decline since the early 2000s has been remarkable. In large part due to amateur boxing being ruined by that horrible point system and corrupt judges. Like those that gave Anthony Joshua his gold.

Fury, Wilder and Joshua would be lucky to be top 10 fighters in the HW division about 15 years ago.

Disagree on Fury by the way, he would have been a problem in any era.

Still ufc 244 did better numbers than Canelo vs Kovalev and they had to wait for UFC to be over so they can start LOL.

Canelo vs GGG did 2 1.3mil
Kovalev best fight did 165k

Im guessing Canelo vs Kovalev did under a mil.

Canelo vs Kovalev wasn't on PPV you autistic neanderthal

I see the inferiority complex amongst MMA fans is still running strong

Boxing has a lot of ground to cover after Artem debunked it vs.Paulie

But what portion of fighters would continue to fight if they get 80 mil per fight. Its just stupid money. There needs to be balance to keep them motivated.

The idea of fighters competing for "pay" has always been misguided.

Prize fighting isn't supposed to be a long term career plan. It's called prize fighting for a reason. You're supposed to make a run for the prize, which is usually a big money title fight. Best case scenario, you get there, and then you can even decide to stick around and keep compounding the prizes until your run is over.

Then once the run is over, you do like the gladiators and you call it quits (well, except you get to be still alive). Same goes if your run ends before you get the prize. That's the nature of prizes. Sometimes you don't win them.

Lol @ pay comparison

Ufc is still doing 10/10’s, can’t even bring that shit up my dude

There's already very promising research in preventing AND reversing degenerative neurons in rat brains. It's not quite there yet, but it's the beginning of the end.

Within the next 5-20 years (you know how it is) an outright cure for CTE and Alzeheimers and other degenerative neuron disorders will be discovered/invented and from that point, combat sports of every kind will go through rapid expansion, as young men and women will no longer fear getting brain damage from them. At that point, all non-combat sports will become secondary to fighting sports, because humans innately prefer combat to playing games. This has held true throughout the entirety of human history in every culture that has ever existed.

I can't wait!

mMa fans insecure as fuck, nothing new. This is what happens when you tie your personal identity to a sport.
The UFC Hw champ couldn’t even sell out his CLEVELAND home town when he last fought there, and is begging for a boxing match, I wonder why?
Dana even knows what’s up and that’s why he’s starting Zuffa boxing.
ESPN appears disinterested in covering their partner the UFC, notice all the announcements regarding subscriptions stopped.
Year 2029 you’ll be saying this same shit that said here in 2019 and was said in 2009.

Last edited:
When you have the number 1 boxer in the world Canelo changing his fights date due to UFC Nate vs Masvidal (two guys with 20+ losses combined) you know that MMA has officially overtaken boxing. Trump didnt go to watch Canelo, Deontay or others..

This point was brought to my attention by an interview of Frank Mir.

Yes top boxers make more than top MMA fighters at the moment. Will they still make more in a few years? or a decade?
In boxing its either making everything or making nothing. In mma is more balanced.

Anyway MMA fighters pay is constantly going up. MMA as a whole is moving up way quicker than boxing tbh.
Canelo made more money and got more views than the UFC did.
Canelos Mexico viewership numbers beat out the UFCS global numbers for the Nick vs Madival event.
Sit on that.

@EdmundsEmptyBankAccount
MMA is only getting bigger even while its becoming more technical.

Wilder vs Fury 1 300k ppv

Khabib vs Iaquinta 350k ppv

Butb bbbbut Boxing pay though!
How is mma getting bigger?
They are doing less ppvs and less viewers on TV, more now than ever.
The sport is tanking and has to rely on Conor as hes the only star and he hasnt won in 3 years.

How many people you think actually know Masdival? You're on a UFC discussion board on a MMA Website.
You think people in the real world give a flying fuck about two mediocre asshats throwing kicks at each other?
No one knows who Diaz or Masdival is. I still have to look up which ones Nick and which ones Nate. Couldnt tell you which one fought Conor.

this is solely because of Dana.

and it's destroying the future for mma (the entire sport).
It’s not at all solely because of dana. That’s stupid. Dana works and worked for other people. Who helped build the sport to what it is today.

It’s not destroying the future. The future is still being built.

How come? UFC is growing rapidly. Why is that out of the question? UFC is getting at least a couple of cards at 1 mil+ PPV per year on yearly basis. On average UFC cards are clocking more PPV than Top boxing cards.

Why is that so dumb to consider in a decade or so? UFC is already twice as popular as boxing.

Khabib iaquinta 350k
Fury wilder 300k.
lol I remember you arguing that Khabib was a bigger star than Conor despite fewer PPV buys because most of his viewership watches it on free TV. Well, by that logic, boxing is way more popular than MMA because it's aired on more stations in more nations worldwide.

Besides, Joshua's UK fandom and Canelo's Mexican fandom are each way bigger than the entirety of MMA fans in America.

Stop the madness. Both sports are great & there's plenty of room for both of them to thrive. Seriously, this us vs them nonsense is so old & ridiculous.
I've been a boxing fanatic since I was a kid in 1976 & I've been an MMA die-hard since UFC 1 back in November of '93. I love both combat sports almost equally. The only reason that I put boxing #1 is that it's how I used to make my living as a professional. So, out of loyalty, I say that boxing is my favorite but MMA is really right up there with it.

100% is a stretch but it's close. Too bad most mma paydays are still centuries behind
Are they??? Only the main event guys are getting payed big for boxing. Everyone else is on the level or way less than UFC.

Canelo made more money than the whole card combined, Kovalev made more money...Boxing > MMA 100%

Also its not MMA, its the UFC brand that has the draw power, Trump has been friends with Dana, he isnt friends with Eddie Hearn.

Boxing has a lot of ground to cover after Artem debunked it vs.Paulie
Boxing lost no ground in the Lobov-Malignaggi fight. You had an over the hill former titlist with notoriously brittle hands & no power whatsoever show up, break both hands in the first round & yet still do enough to win in many people's eyes before losing a controversial decision. So what?
I didn't hear anything about MMA being in trouble when another former boxing champion in Ishe Smith made his bear-knuckle debut on the next card by beating an MMA fighter. That's because it means nothing.

MMA fans are probably the reason why MMA is still one of the lowest paying professional sports .
MMA is not even in the top 40 for pay for athletes. Most minor leagues out pay MMA. The average player in MLS makes almost 150,000 a year. With the marque players well over 4 million a year. And the MLS is really not that popular.
If MMA doent die out of popularity it realistically could be well over 10 more years before the pay increases substantially.

Back