MMA overtaken Boxing 100%

Let's see how AJ/Ruiz will do in ppv. boxing is far from dead.

@DeJulez yeah 10 million people watched Nayoa (i think that was the average number) in Kanto and Knasei alone.

lol

Boxing is ridiculous big in Japan.

also fuck boxing and mma

bring back K-1 to eurosport

@Cole train i like lethwei and bare knuckle more but they lack boxings talent pool and good promoting skills ... haha.

I love boxing especially HvyWt Boxing but boxing is pretty horrible these days there are many fun mma fights every month there are only a few big boxing fights a year.

Someone has forgotten about mercer koing sylvia...

And I guess someone forgot about Couture tapping Toney, Gracie tapping Jimmerson, Ricardo Mayorga going 0-3 in MMA, Kimbo tapping Mercer, Julius Francis lost his only mma fight. And Mercer/Sylvia was originally a boxing match that the commission wouldn't allow so they changed it to a mma bout last minute, they had a gentlemans agreement, hands only. So boxers in mma have done very poorly.

MMA growing fast is such horseshit. I've been watching for about 15 years and what's changed apart from an expanded roster? Most of the casuals that used to watch it have grown up and switched off. PPVs were in every bar for a while there, now no one bothers anymore.
Fighter pay is still garbage. PPVs have never again come close to when Bork was around.

It's a niche sport mostly for edgelords with an even smaller audience of dedicated martial arts fans.

Exactly. Its grown in the sense that they've massively increased the number of divisions and cards this decade, and more mainstream media outlets will touch it now. But when it comes to actual fan interest I dont see it as being any bigger than it was in the late 00s and early 2010s, in fact other than when Conor is fighting its probably smaller.

How many boomers are on Sherdog? Probably none. MMA is a young sport. I am probably one of the oldest here at 41. Boxing is trending down and in 15 years, most boomers will not be watching it because they will be 6 feet under.

I dont know about this forum so much, but I used to be on the UG for many years and the average age there now is probably 40+. Almost every prominent poster there is over 40. Maybe its just unique to that place since its died over the last few years, I dunno. I am not convinced that MMA is a young persons thing though, 10-15 years ago maybe.

And I guess someone forgot about Couture tapping Toney, Gracie tapping Jimmerson, Ricardo Mayorga going 0-3 in MMA, Kimbo tapping Mercer, Julius Francis lost his only mma fight. And Mercer/Sylvia was originally a boxing match that the commission wouldn't allow so they changed it to a mma bout last minute, they had a gentlemans agreement, hands only. So boxers in mma have done very poorly.

well yeah because its a different sport lol

just answered that guy because he wrote like boxers have no chance when it isnt like that

I used to think that boxing was constantly outselling the UFC in PPVs up until the very last few years. Was surprised to that UFC's biggest event of 2006 outsold boxing's biggest event.

Here's an image from 2017.
Interestingly from 2002-2017 boxing vs UFC is 11-11 in terms of PPVs with 1 million buys.
UFC caught up because 2016 was a record breaking year with five events selling over a mil.
Boxing-v-UFC-PPV-graphic-refresh.jpg

Side note:
Quantifying worldwide popularity is hard.

We can't use PPV numbers to gauge worldwide fanbase and interest, because large parts of the world do not use PPV.
For example I don't know anyone here in Sweden who's bought a PPV, people have always only relied on subscription based sports channels instead.

Last edited:
Back