MMA Culture is sided with Companies, and against MMA fighters wanting better Pay

Fighters getting more pay- ok with me
FIFTY FUCKING Threads a week about fighters getting more pay- and STFU

Diaz and every other fighter who signed a contract should HONOR their contract

Your argument is basically an ethical one: "the ufc makes a lot of money" and should distribute it evenly between the fighters and the organization........I respectfully disagree
Giving every fighter what that fighter thinks he's worth is foolish, and could easily spiral out of control.
You are paid based on your performance- gsp andy silva brock bj penn jones bendo chael cain jds all have two things in common- they all PERFORM and NONE bitch about what they earn

The UFC'S only ethical standard as a buisness should be to MAKE MONEY....they're succeeding

Diaz and every other fighter who WHINES about the CONTRACTS they SIGNED .....can FUCK OFF

Agreeing to an 8/8 contract just because the only other ones available were 5/5 doesn't mean that the payment is justified or that it's free from criticism, or that you have to be happy with it. Also, justifying the unfair business practices of a multi-billion dollar company is a terrible thing and it's one of the overlooked problems with society; it's like justifying the kind of stuff Monsanto does because "they make money, and that's all they should care about as a business."

With the Ufc model we only know what they tell us. And we know it isn't everything. The big name fighters already make 1million or so per fight. They make enough it is anyone under 100k a fight that needs a raise.

But the fighters bring in the viewers you say. I agree, and while it is apples to oranges without open books, think of any large company many people that don't seemingly do a lot but higher up the totem pole get the bigger chunk of the pie.

They are paid what they agreed to, same as any employed person.

Could the lower level guys get paid more? Of course they could.

But it's kind of like a musician bitching about being broke - you make the choices.

I'm sure it will change in time, noone is starving till then though.

Agreeing to an 8/8 contract just because the only other ones available were 5/5 doesn't mean that the payment is justified or that it's free from criticism, or that you have to be happy with it. Also, justifying the unfair business practices of a multi-billion dollar company is a terrible thing and it's one of the overlooked problems with society; it's like justifying the kind of stuff Monsanto does because "they make money, and that's all they should care about as a business."

If you aren't being paid what you feel your worth, go somewhere where they will pay you more. It's pretty simple.

Nah it really goes both ways, but both sides can be equally absurd.

Now do you want to debate fighter pay legitimately , or just talk about the fans who do?

Neither at this point, because the level of stupidity and maturity on this forum has gone down the shitter over the last decade, meaning having any productive or interesting discussion is really a dice roll at this point. There isn't much that needs to be discussed, when you look at PPV buys, gate revenue, merchandise revenue, etc and then justifying paying an Olympian 16k to fight (McMann/Rousey) for a world title in the "Superbowl of MMA" then there is a serious, serious problem.

100%truth

is this really true? i feel sorry for ufc fighters if this is really true. now i understand, if it's really true, why you guys are always talking shit about the ufc's business model. if it's true, it's bullshit that the ufc pays its fighters so very little.

Great video, thanks for posting. It's sad when Bob Arum is right about something, that's how you know there really is a problem.

Are you really trusting anything he says? The UFC is a competitor--he'll say anything to undermine them and foment unrest with their employees.

Fighters get paid a lot more in the UFC than most other organizations. There's a reason the UFC is still in business and (I assume) profitable: they know what they're doing. If you don't like the UFC, work for Bellator. If you're really lucky, maybe you'll get near the same amount (if you're really famous). If not, you'll have to sell tickets to the show. And if you can't get into Bellator, or WSOF, good luck with your $300 and a 6-pack they'll be paying you with on the regional circuit.

The UFC pays, at worst, just as well as other organizations. In general they pay well. This isn't boxing. Nor football, nor baseball, nor soccer, nor any other sport.

MMA fighters should be payed more but the company brilliantly set it up so they make most of the money. If MMA blows up or not you still make the same. I think they need competition in order to get raises. If there is only 1 main org then it's impossible. If fighters split rosters and make another great org then pay will have to increase or one will lose out. In reality it's up to the fighters to have a group huddle or draft. :icon_lol:

They are paid what they agreed to, same as any employed person.

Could the lower level guys get paid more? Of course they could.

But it's kind of like a musician bitching about being broke - you make the choices.

I'm sure it will change in time, noone is starving till then though.

You don't think the fact that the UFC is basically a monopoly has any effect on the matter?

It's far from the same as "a musician bitching about being broke" in my opinion. If you're one of the best in the music field, you have a multitude of top record companies to choose from, who will fight for you and make you lucrative offers, not solely because they enjoy your product, but also to steal you away from competitors.

Imagine for a second there was only one major record label. There are a few indie companies out there, but they can't offer you nearly the pay and possible more importantly the exposure and respect as this one top label. Do you really think said label would shell out millions to pop stars when they could get the same product for pennies on the dollar(or less)?

The only thing that will make fighter pay "change in time" is a viable competitor to the UFC. They've already shown that they are going to use any expansion and addition of revenue not to pay their existing fighters more generously, but to sign more fighters and branch out into more countries, and honestly it would be silly to even blame them for it.

The main problem is that Dana and the Fertittas (pretend to) believe that underpaying the fighters is good for the sport.

The reality is that their priority is to fill their own pockets and they get away with it because fighters have nowhere else to go.

The UFC sold 6000 tickets for a 17,000 seat arena and made a little over $400k at the gate. They gave Brown $80k and Silva $22k out of that. Thats $100k right there. Then they had to pay the rest of the fighters, all the expenses in putting on the event, and then give something to their shareholders.

These guys simply don't generate much revenue and therefore don't get paid much.

You don't think the fact that the UFC is basically a monopoly has any effect on the matter?

It's far from the same as "a musician bitching about being broke" in my opinion. If you're one of the best in the music field, you have a multitude of top record companies to choose from, who will fight for you and make you lucrative offers, not solely because they enjoy your product, but also to steal you away from competitors.

Imagine for a second there was only one major record label. There are a few indie companies out there, but they can't offer you nearly the pay and possible more importantly the exposure and respect as this one top label. Do you really think said label would shell out millions to pop stars when they could get the same product for pennies on the dollar(or less)?

The only thing that will make fighter pay "change in time" is a viable competitor to the UFC. They've already shown that they are going to use any expansion and addition of revenue not to pay their existing fighters more generously, but to sign more fighters and branch out into more countries, and honestly it would be silly to even blame them for it.

I don't know if anybody has noticed, but Bellator and Viacom are throwing around lots and lots of money trying to get some big talent in there

The UFC sold 6000 tickets for a 17,000 seat arena and made a little over $400k at the gate. They gave Brown $80k and Silva $22k out of that. Then they had to pay the rest of the fighters, all the expenses in putting on the event, and then give something to their shareholders.

These guys simply don't generate much revenue and therefore don't get paid much.

People don't seem to take that into consideration. The UFC is the one taking all the risk. Go ahead and flame away at me shertards.

Neither at this point, because the level of stupidity and maturity on this forum has gone down the shitter over the last decade, meaning having any productive or interesting discussion is really a dice roll at this point. There isn't much that needs to be discussed, when you look at PPV buys, gate revenue, merchandise revenue, etc and then justifying paying an Olympian 16k to fight (McMann/Rousey) for a world title in the "Superbowl of MMA" then there is a serious, serious problem.

What does being an Olympian have to do with anything? Fame draws money, not medals (unless you became famous due to those medals).

99.9999...% of humanity have no idea who McMann is, and neither did about 95% of MMA fans. She doesn't deserve more because she won a medal in the Olympics.

At $81k Matt Brown is not doing too bad. If Matt Brown performed and sold out arenas 82 times a year plus traveled every week like your average basketball player he would make over $6 mil a year.

In my opinion he needs to quit slackin.

It's not. Not at all. Not even close. You're confused because they are just so much better at running their business than everyone else. But realize there are a lot of "everyone elses." Do I really need to rattle off a lengthy list of professional MMA organizations worldwide? I hope not.

Basically a monopoly? Please. They pay well compared to the myriad other organizations out there. Not a monopoly by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't know if anybody has noticed, but Bellator and Viacom are throwing around lots and lots of money trying to get some big talent in there

Definitely. The additions of Rampage and Tito gives a lot of insight into where they're trying to take their brand. Hopefully it will contribute to their growth in coming years, but as of now they're still head, shoulders, and torso below the UFC.

I considered the implications if they were to make a power-move and sign Nate in the midst of all this drama around him and the UFC, but then was brought to reality by the fact that Diaz would never sign with a company where he couldn't rise to #1 status, which goes back to my original point.

Back