MMA Culture is sided with Companies, and against MMA fighters wanting better Pay

Definitely. The additions of Rampage and Tito gives a lot of insight into where they're trying to take their brand. Hopefully it will contribute to their growth in coming years, but as of now they're still head, shoulders, and torso below the UFC.

Oh, yeah, they aren't a competitior as of yet, but they're trying to be. I thought the had Melendez for sure. WSOF seems to just be content functioning as the biggest UFC feeder org out there.

The UFC sold 6000 tickets for a 17,000 seat arena and made a little over $400k at the gate. They gave Brown $80k and Silva $22k out of that. Then they had to pay the rest of the fighters, all the expenses in putting on the event, and then give something to their shareholders.

These guys simply don't generate much revenue and therefore don't get paid much.

All indications would suggest they lost money with that event. After fighter payout, bonuses, cost of setup, paying production and road hands etc.

I'm not against fighters making more money at all. Hell, I could care less if a minimum contract was 1 million per fight. What I will never side with is someone signing a contract, and not honoring it because they feel what THEY signed for is less than what they are worth.

People will complain and say this is siding with management, but really, it's siding with a grown adults accountability.

MMA fighters/ pro athletes are entertainers, not essential service providers. I could care less if they sign for 10 dollars or 100'000'000 dollars. They chose this line of work, they sign the contract. They are accountable for what they get.

Same with the UFC, they chose the city to hold the venue, they decided the card, if they lost money on the event, it's accountable to them.

You are mislead.

However, for UFC fighters there is only one way - unionization and stand for your damn rights.

UFC probably has alot more overhead than Golden Boy
Not taking sides just saying thats something to consider too

Overhead like paying for the healthcare of people who get punched in the face for a living.

You don't think the fact that the UFC is basically a monopoly has any effect on the matter?

It's far from the same as "a musician bitching about being broke" in my opinion. If you're one of the best in the music field, you have a multitude of top record companies to choose from, who will fight for you and make you lucrative offers, not solely because they enjoy your product, but also to steal you away from competitors.

Imagine for a second there was only one major record label. There are a few indie companies out there, but they can't offer you nearly the pay and possible more importantly the exposure and respect as this one top label. Do you really think said label would shell out millions to pop stars when they could get the same product for pennies on the dollar(or less)?

The only thing that will make fighter pay "change in time" is a viable competitor to the UFC. They've already shown that they are going to use any expansion and addition of revenue not to pay their existing fighters more generously, but to sign more fighters and branch out into more countries, and honestly it would be silly to even blame them for it.

Most musicians (and pro fighters) are far from the top of their field - isn't fighter pay about the low tier competitors?

Its by no means a right to be able to make great money doing what you love.

Yes, a UFC competitor will enable that (Although we will have far too many 'hypothetical match ups that are never realised), Bellator has already began with Gil - lets just hope they don't go broke trying.

It's not. Not at all. Not even close. You're confused because they are just so much better at running their business than everyone else. But realize there are a lot of "everyone elses." Do I really need to rattle off a lengthy list of professional MMA organizations worldwide? I hope not.

Basically a monopoly? Please. They pay well compared to the myriad other organizations out there. Not a monopoly by any stretch of the imagination.

Guess I made a mistake in using a buzzword to begin my argument, as that's clearly the only part you read, or at the least the only part you felt you have an argument against.

All indications would suggest they lost money with that event. After fighter payout, bonuses, cost of setup, paying production and road hands etc.

I'm not against fighters making more money at all. Hell, I could care less if a minimum contract was 1 million per fight. What I will never side with is someone signing a contract, and not honoring it because they feel what THEY signed for is less than what they are worth.

People will complain and say this is siding with management, but really, it's siding with a grown adults accountability.

MMA fighters/ pro athletes are entertainers, not essential service providers. I could care less if they sign for 10 dollars or 100'000'000 dollars. They chose this line of work, they sign the contract. They are accountable for what they get.

Same with the UFC, they chose the city to hold the venue, they decided the card, if they lost money on the event, it's accountable to them.

Agreed. I'd love to see UFC fighters making more money but at the end of the day they sign the contracts. Plus in order for them to make more money I have to pay more money. Can't say I'm too concerned about it.

Why is it up to the fans to give a shit? Serious question, because I'm sick of hearing about this. They are clearly paid market value, there are several promotions, if fighters were worth more, someone would pay them more. OR, if they were worth more, and noone paid them more, than they should start their own promotion like Money-May. But it still comes back to me not giving two shits.

Why is it up to the fans to give a shit? Serious question, because I'm sick of hearing about this. They are clearly paid market value, there are several promotions, if fighters were worth more, someone would pay them more. OR, if they were worth more, and noone paid them more, than they should start their own promotion like Money-May. But it still comes back to me not giving two shits.

Because American culture in general and this site specifically are infested with whiney, entitled little children who were raised with the idea that all you have to do to make it in the world is to just want to.

why is it up to the fans to give a shit? Serious question, because i'm sick of hearing about this. they are clearly paid market value, there are several promotions, if fighters were worth more, someone would pay them more. Or, if they were worth more, and noone paid them more, than they should start their own promotion like money-may. But it still comes back to me not giving two shits.

lolwut?

Unless you have a mega-star(Brock Lesnar, GSP etc.) that transcends beyond the MMA community, not a single fighter/fight in UFC today can carry the entire card, especially PPV.
Those fighters get what they deserve, supply and demand.
I wouldn't pay for the Diaz brothers fight period, except watching Nick Diaz get 50-45d by GSP. Get over it already, you're just a bunch of FANS worrying for strangers' pay.

In b4 a bunch of corporate fanboy--fuck way too late. Oh well if you can't beat em, join em:

"These guys signed the contract, its business 101 to try to make money can't belive you idiots can't see that. The UFC costs a ton of money to run and if it weren't for the UFC these guys wouldn't be making shit so they should be thankful. If they don't like it gtfo!!"

Did I do it right?

Being in the UFC, is like living in a monarchy, and your king is Dana White.

No wonder MMA is dying.

Too bad Scott Coker didn't own 100% of Strikeforce

In b4 a bunch of corporate fanboy--fuck way too late. Oh well if you can't beat em, join em:

"These guys signed the contract, its business 101 to try to make money can't belive you idiots can't see that. The UFC costs a ton of money to run and if it weren't for the UFC these guys wouldn't be making shit so they should be thankful. If they don't like it gtfo!!"

Did I do it right?

That's not being a corporate fanboy. Yelling out "CORPORATE" doesn't mean you win an argument.

You're posting on a fucking computer or phone made by little kids who get a fraction of a penny for your purchase FOR A CORPORATION.

You care about fighter pay instead of illegal worker pay.
If you live in the states, your food was probably picked by illegal immigrants who get paid like shit. For a corporation.
Your clothes.
Your car.
Your fucking shower head.

So please spare the dramatics and go look in the mirror.

That's not being a corporate fanboy. Yelling out "CORPORATE" doesn't mean you win an argument.

You're posting on a fucking computer or phone made by little kids who get a fraction of a penny for your purchase FOR A CORPORATION.

If you live in the states, your food was probably picked by illegal immigrants who get paid like shit. For a corporation.
Your clothes.
Your car.

Owned!!! Well said.
justin-biba-owned-o.gif

Your clothes.
Your car.

As fun as this argument is, the circular logic of "the market" and then not being able to explain it in the least does pro-business guys as much good as the anti-business guys yelling "corporate"

As fun as this argument is, the circular logic of "the market" and then not being able to explain it in the least does pro-business guys as much good as the anti-business guys yelling "corporate"

I can explain the Market for you:
Zuffa is a company that owns a fight organization that is supported by investors. They pay their contractors, fighters, based off production and pre-agreed contracts involving base pay and flexible room for bonuses.

That's the model. People don't like it, but it works. I wish fighters got paid more. I wish I got paid more. I wish my parents got paid more. I wish I got paid for sitting here talking to you scoundrels. That's not what's happening though.

It's up to the contractors.

Back