Social Michigan school district removes LGBT references in sex ed

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
I agree the schools should do more to tell especially younger kids how to behave with their peers. My school for sure failed at that which is partially why the Russian kids were picked on CONSTANTLY by the Native kids until they showed up to school with their 20 year old cousins and sent half the Native kids to the hospital.

That said, what worries me is the "weight" administrators will give to certain things. Even in school systems you can feel it where the teacher's won't do much to help that fat kid in the corner because deep down they ALSO probably believe "the kid is that way by their own fault". I know I felt it some when I was in school. There's also the issue I went to administration after being called a certain racial slur and they did SHIT to support me or go after the kid that called me it.

Yeah, I think they are doing a better job of this most places nowadays. When I was in school it was sort of a free for all too in some ways. But that's why we make changes to the curriculum, because there were glaringly obvious gaps on the subject that needed attention.

If you actually do it effectively, you can teach most kids that bullying is not cool. You can at least reach enough kids that even if one kid is an asshole, their friends will prevent them from acting on it by not encouraging their behavior. But you have to actually address it when they are young, and you have to be specific and intentional about the way you do it.

@Mcountry so are you going to wait until your kid asks you about gay people before you talk to him about it? What if he never asks you about gay people? Do you just let whatever the general attitude is amongst his friends, or what he hears at school, or what he sees on the internet, be the primary education he gets on the subject?

I feel like kids need more guidance than that. My dad specifically taught me these things when I was pretty young. He did not harp on these things, or bring them up often, but when he did mention them I took it to heart. I actually still remember the two times he mentioned gay people when I was growing up, and I specifically remember when he taught me about racism. That stuff leaves a real mark on a kid, and they should hear it from somebody they respect and admire.

@Mcountry so are you going to wait until your kid asks you about gay people before you talk to him about it? What if he never asks you about gay people? Do you just let whatever the general attitude is amongst his friends, or what he hears at school, or what he sees on the internet, be the primary education he gets on the subject?

I feel like kids need more guidance than that. My dad specifically taught me these things when I was pretty young. He did not harp on these things, or bring them up often, but when he did mention them I took it to heart. I actually still remember the two times he mentioned gay people when I was growing up, and I specifically remember when he taught me about racism. That stuff leaves a real mark on a kid, and they should hear it from somebody they respect and admire.

You know it's a strange thing.

Neither the school nor my parents taught me about either sex or gay people and holy shit! I got the memo!

All I remember from sex ed was learning how to put a condom on a banana.

Big lesson in life? Don't be an asshole. He will get on just fine. If he has questions we will talk about it. I'd rather we were discussing why we fail at math and science when compared to Asian schools. That's what we should focus on.

Bullying builds character.

Pussies.
People build character despite bullying. Bullying also crushes dreams and messes up developing minds for years, or forever. It can turn people into pussies, even.

It's sad that this is what political discourse in America has come to. People whining because they teach their kids about homosexuals in school. Guess what? In the real world, there are gay people. Sorry you want to hide it. The paranoid right seems to think teaching a child about anything they don't like is "indoctrination". I guess we should stop teaching about the holocaust as well?

People build character despite bullying. Bullying also crushes dreams and messes up developing minds for years, or forever. It can turn people into pussies, even.
Meh, bullying is just a part of life. It teaches you early on that life ain’t easy. It teaches you to deal with it. We are coddling people so much now, they have no idea how to handle controversy. They have never been told no. They always get a trophy. Life isn’t easy, sometimes you have to fight.

Now, bullying to the extreme, can be a problem. If it affects how you make a living, or actually hinders your day, it’s a problem. But just being a dick, or a little harassment, helps to create life lessons.

Meh, bullying is just a part of life. It teaches you early on that life ain’t easy. It teaches you to deal with it. We are coddling people so much now, they have no idea how to handle controversy. They have never been told no. They always get a trophy. Life isn’t easy, sometimes you have to fight.

Now, bullying to the extreme, can be a problem. If it affects how you make a living, or actually hinders your day, it’s a problem. But just being a dick, or a little harassment, helps to create life lessons.

There is merit to this. And I think a big reason why kids these days so upset when confronted by opposition or opposing views requiring a fucking safe space.

You can't/shouldn't coddle your kid to the point that they can't stand up for themselves. I think online bullying needs to be addressed. I think we should ditch the participation ribbons and stop coddling.

There is merit to this. And I think a big reason why kids these days so upset when confronted by opposition or opposing views requiring a fucking safe space.

You can't/shouldn't coddle your kid to the point that they can't stand up for themselves. I think online bullying needs to be addressed. I think we should ditch the participation ribbons and stop coddling.
MxpQ.gif

Bullying is a part of life for probably everyone, even if from their own families, but so is the decrying of bullying. No big brother ever beats up a kid for not bullying his little brother in a character-building-enough way. I think the limit on the psychological usefulness of bullying is really, really low if that even exists. It could also be that other forms of disappointment and adversity are simulated by bullying, so that those lessons are learned anyway through other parts of life, with bullying being a really bad stand-in that might teach some good lessons but teaches way, way more bad ones.

Aren't those people disproportionately

https://www.thetrevorproject.org/re...out-suicide/#sm.0000c6nfnp53zeg7ujb1cvyd6wat7

* LGB youth seriously contemplate suicide at almost three times the rate of heterosexual youth.

* LGB youth are almost five times as likely to have attempted suicide compared to heterosexual youth.

* Of all the suicide attempts made by youth, LGB youth suicide attempts were almost five times as likely to require medical treatment than those of heterosexual youth.

* Suicide attempts by LGB youth are 4 to 6 times more likely to result in injury, poisoning, or overdose that requires treatment from a doctor or nurse, compared to their straight peers.

* LGB youth who come from highly rejecting families are 8.4 times as likely to have attempted suicide as LGB peers who reported no or low levels of family rejection.

* Each episode of LGBT victimization, such as physical or verbal harassment or abuse, increases the likelihood of self-harming behavior by 2.5 times on average.

You don't think referring to the gay, bisexual, or trans kids as "freaks" sort of contradicts your anti-bullying stance?

Yes, I think it does.

I am referring to the Sex part. "Getting freaky" was what I was going for but I failed miserably to properly state it and it sounded like something else.

Yes, I think it does.

I am referring to the Sex part. "Getting freaky" was what I was going for but I failed miserably to properly state it and it sounded like something else.

And you're Greek. SMH.

Not good for the Democrats. They absolutely must win Michigan or they are fucked.

Not good for the Democrats. They absolutely must win Michigan or they are fucked.

This is why Trump is a master at 4D chess.

It's looking to be CHECKMATE for the 2nd time in 2020.

Skase esi, malaka! <3>

The cradle of western civilization itself. I've bolded a 'dirty dozen' below from an unrelated post earlier and that's just for near certain. :D It's difficult to believe that this is still an issue for people 2,300+ fucking years later.

The Roman Republic was a better form of government whereas Greece was long fragmented into numerous city states that varied considerably, from totalitarian Sparta to the direct democracy of Athens but Greek was still Greek.

The region spawned an almost incomparable number of historically significant warriors, statesmen, philosophers, mathematicians and artists. It's also partially down to pure literary interest and fascination (i.e. bias). I admire the emphasis on athletics, aesthetics and the cult of beauty.

On some "first of all" shit: the King of Macedon, Hegemon of the Hellenic League, Pharaoh of Egypt, Shahanshah of Persia, Lord of Asia and Son of Zeus has no equal. And then there's still, amongst others:

* Homer
* Thales (624-538)
* Cleisthenes (570-508)
* Pythagoras (570-495)
* Theognis (570-485)
* Harmodius (???-514)
* Aristogeiton (???-514)

* Leonidas (540-480)
* Aeschylus (525-455)
* Themistocles (524-459)
* Pindar (517-438)
* Myron (510-420)
* Pericles (494-429)
* Pheidias (480-430)
* Socrates (470-399)

* Hippocrates (460-370)
* Democritus (460-370)
* Xenophon (451-354)
* Aristophanes (446-386)
* Plato (428-348)
* Pelopidas (420-364)
* Epaminondas (418-362)

* Demosthenes (384-322)
* Aristotle (384-322)
* Zeno (344-262)
* Epicurus (341-270)
* Euclid (325-265)
* Aristarchus (310-230)
* Persaeus (307-243)
* Archimedes (287-212)

I don't see why LGBT needs to be taught in school.

I think there is a very valid discussion to be had about the promotion and celebration of "gay culture". There is also a conversation that needs to be had about mental illness in relation to transgendered people.

That being said, I still think sex ed programs should be comprehensive and cover homosexuality. I don't see how not covering it benefits anyone.

Also, for those saying "oh just don't bully, no need to give gays any special attention"...the reason they were given attention in the first place is because they were already such a target. Certain groups in certain areas have bigger targets on their heads. Where I am from, being called a f@g or gay was fighting words. In most of the country, geographically at least, gays were (and in some places still are) treated like shit.

I think some of these campaigns go about things in the wrong way, and that is worth having a conversation about. I don't think ignoring it is the right answer though.

Back