Melendez: Shields will be on top of Nick Diaz everyday to prep for GSP's top game

And he whupped all their asses in that fight, what's your point

the only one of those fights that you can consider an ass-whopping, is the fitch fight. that's the last time that he actually planted his feet to throw strong punches. fitch is tough as hell, but a decision was still the outcome. it's not as if fitch can't be stopped (hendricks).

with koscheck, gsp was not brave enough to try for the finish. those ugly-ass, weight on your heels, chuck liddell-style overhand-rights he was throwing, were pathetic. he was trying to knock him out in the safest way imaginable, which is why he didn't finish him, or anyone else for that matter.

and with condit, gsp was in worse shape than condit, lol. i don't even need to get into this one...

face it, the guy doesn't want to risk attaining a finish if he knows that he can secure the win with a decision. it's as simple as that.

and the guy who cries whenever identified as one of GSP's biggest trolls, continues to troll.

What is the point of writing decision, decision, decision in reply to the idea that GSP gave those guys whippings? Are we to pretend fights that end in decision cannot be whippings now? Was Cain/JDS2 not a whipping? Hendo/Shogun?

since you seem to know me so well, you must also know that i have explained the difference many times.

if you really need an explanation, i can give you one. but surely you already know the answer, no?

They don't need to train to protect Nick from GSP's top game, they need to prepare to avoid getting taken down. GSP doesn't pound people out or submit them from the top. He takes people down and will and damages them and they cannot get back up or stop the takedown.

So I don't know about anyone else but I'm not worried about GSP crushing Nick from the top. I'm worried that Nick has no chance to stop the takedowns and therefore no chance to win rounds.

They don't need to train to protect Nick from GSP's top game, they need to prepare to avoid getting taken down. GSP doesn't pound people out or submit them from the top. He takes people down and will and damages them and they cannot get back up or stop the takedown.

So I don't know about anyone else but I'm not worried about GSP crushing Nick from the top. I'm worried that Nick has no chance to stop the takedowns and therefore no chance to win rounds.

I don't think winning rounds is really all that important to Nick. He doesn't seem the type to want to just win rounds, he seems to want to finish and win the fight.

I think with Shields he's more working on the fact he's going to be on his back a lot, and working for submissions seems to be the name of the game in this training camp.

And GSP was on top of Shields all day. GSP will beat Nick easily.

Oh I'm sorry. Did you watch the Earth-3 version of the fight in the 3rd alternate dimension? Because GSP was on top of shields hardly ever, yet alone "all day" as you claim.

My guess for this fight is GSP beats him up for 3-4 rounds, Nick throws a hissy fit and doesn't come out for the last round, retires soon after.

TBH I think GSP's gameplan will be to strike for a while on the outside, use leg kicks all day (see Diaz vs Cyborg) use movement to set up a late round takedown, and stay safe on top in the last minute or so of a round, and ride an easy decision.

However - I hope GSP truly tries to FIGHT Diaz, and takes him down and works for the finish (which I doubt, the scoring system encourages conservatism). But if GSP does fight, the ground battle will be awesome.

Diaz better come prepared to counter the strategy Bendo used on Nate. I think Diaz really needs to pressure GSP bell to bell, be prepared to eat shots, and take risks if he is to beat GSP, even pull guard if he has to.

Odds are if you are in the cage with GSP, you are likely going to lose the rounds, so assume that the case and take risks, really try to FINISH GSP. All or nothing for Diaz IMO.

Why does Shields fly all the way out to Thailand to train in MT when he could just go train with Richard Perez and Espinosa here in the states?

Thailand is a sweet holiday spot, I'd say he'll be doing a lot of holidaying while he's there. TBH, the MT is probably secondary for purposes of his visit.

Soooo....

Nick is a bottom.

tumblr_leqkn9xRcN1qegjjv.gif

i def agree shields has one of the best top games in the.......game. the wierd thing over there is that shields standup seems so weak and nicks wrestling has always looked kinda weak. makes you wonder. but hopefully nick can really get a great strategy together, implement it, and take the belt. 1 thing that's hard to prepare for is gsp's varied attack. benson might have it down even a little better than gsp but he really was just so unpredictable against nate, it's hard to think anyone could have beaten him that night. nick needs to be aggressive and confident above all else. once guys start thinking about what gsp is gona do rather than what THEY are gona do, it's game over

No. The way GSP put pressure on the thigh with his elbow on the guard basically take off the offense of the guard. To really sub GSP from there only a really TOP Jiu jitsu guy like Maia or Garcia. Diaz is not close to them

I think you have watched the bj fights a few too many times. Gsp's bjj isnt great he is aware of this and avoids bjj mostly he did this against serra, shields, hughes etc. Condit rocked him and forced him into the takedown and while he was there condit gave him fits on the ground. Constantly in guard throwing strikes off his back and searching for subs. Diaz probably a little better than condit off his back. It is hard to tell though. I think diaz will be fine. This figjt stays on the feet.

? How many better top position grapplers then Shields are there in MMA? Not many. Diaz could hardly find a better guy to work with that on.

The problem is while Jake Shields is great at top position, he can simulate GSP's speed and explosion, they're completely different grapplers

Diaz knows he cant stop the takedown, training with Shields is damage control.

You cant train strength. Only skill. Im a hardcore Diaz fan but I do not see him doing anything to GSP in his gaurd. Nick is not strong enough and two dimensional. So GSP by a blooded swelled up Diaz into a decision.

Back