Melendez: Shields will be on top of Nick Diaz everyday to prep for GSP's top game

Shields is better on top than GSP in the sense of pure positional and submission grappling. But his GNP is weak, and he has GOD AWFUL takedowns whereas GSP has phenomenal ones. That isn't gonna prepare him for GSP, it's gonna keep him alive when GSP is on top of him.

I think GSP mixes up his game and has Nick guessing the whole way. He is going to eat kicks, jabs and hooks. He will be taken down and eat punches and elbows. I think GSP is the better striker and the only way Nick wins the stand up is if GSP decides to stand right in front of him.

UD for GSP and Nick will be a bloody mess.

I think this is a very realistic outlook. I can't understand how people think GSP won't be effective standing. He's not going to brawl or stand flat-footed in front of Nick. He's going to utilize superior speed and movement. He won't stay with his back to the cage like so many of Nick's previous opponents. And when Nick gets frustrated and starts holding up his hands and taunting, he's going to eat some punches and then get put on his ass. I won't say that Diaz has no chance of winning because he's always dangerous, but GSP is faster, stronger, and his top control is second to none.

Diaz training with Shields is not going to greatly help and/or make him "know how to deal with GSP in top position."

? How many better top position grapplers then Shields are there in MMA? Not many. Diaz could hardly find a better guy to work with that on.

gsp vs. jon fitch: decision

gsp vs. josh koscheck: decision

gsp vs. carlos condit: decision

and the guy who cries whenever identified as one of GSP's biggest trolls, continues to troll.

What is the point of writing decision, decision, decision in reply to the idea that GSP gave those guys whippings? Are we to pretend fights that end in decision cannot be whippings now? Was Cain/JDS2 not a whipping? Hendo/Shogun?

And haters will clearly stay on top of the hating.

Can't wait for the fight.

Why does Shields fly all the way out to Thailand to train in MT when he could just go train with Richard Perez and Espinosa here in the states?

Why does Shields fly all the way out to Thailand to train in MT when he could just go train with Richard Perez and Espinosa here in the states?

Have you ever been to Thailand? If not then go, and you will see why..

I agree that GSP's GnP is superior to Shields'

But can we at least agree that exposure to Shields' top game on a regular basis is only beneficial for Nick since Shields is one of the few whose top game is just as technical, if not even more technical than, GSP?

Maybe, but I think they have different styles. I think GSP's top game is more wrestling based while I feel like Shields has a more Jiu Jitsu style.

Have you ever been to Thailand? If not then go, and you will see why..

Yes, I've been to Thailand and pretty much everywhere else in East Asia, but that's beside the point.

I don't understand why he would choose to go to train there when it's never seemed to help his striking. Maybe MT isn't a natural fit for him, and it would seem more cost effective to train with a guy in the same state as you instead of going half way across the world.

Yes, I've been to Thailand and pretty much everywhere else in East Asia, but that's beside the point.

I don't understand why he would choose to go to train there when it's never seemed to help his striking. Maybe MT isn't a natural fit for him, and it would seem more cost effective to train with a guy in the same state as you instead of going half way across the world.

Its not beside the point.

Back