Melendez: Shields will be on top of Nick Diaz everyday to prep for GSP's top game

The problem is while Jake Shields is great at top position, he can simulate GSP's speed and explosion, they're completely different grapplers

Exactly. It's difficult to simulate GSP's athleticism. Just like it's difficult for anyone to simulate Diazs' boxing.

But if you're looking for someone to simulate a smothering and stifling top game who knows how to defend submissions, Jake Shields is a good guy to have on your side.

Dunno if it's quite as good as GSPs, but definitely 2nd best if not

Implying Shields hasn't trained w/ Nick. I call BS, they've trained together for years. They're The Scrap Pack...what is Jake going to teach him that he hasn't already?

? How many better top position grapplers then Shields are there in MMA? Not many. Diaz could hardly find a better guy to work with that on.

While you're right, Melendez is not. From the OP, it states "Melendez believes Jake Shields has the best top game in the division. Shields is going to be on top of Nick Diaz everyday so that Diaz knows how to deal with GSP in top position.*" If this aforsaid quote is what Melendez believes, he's wrong because working with Shields probably won't enable Nick Diaz to "know how to deal with GSP in top position." Shields can attempt to mimic or simulate GSP and his fighting style in that regard, but it most likely won't be the same.

Certainlyy cannot hurt.

Shields is arguably #2 to GSP in top position, positionaly bjj. He does not have the td's but once there he is stiffling. Similar to GSP he rarely stays in guard. He advances and tries to setup subs. In that area he is better at finishing them, but for training purposes that will only help Diaz.

I think you're right to an extent, but see my post above for my differing thoughts on the matter.

the only one of those fights that you can consider an ass-whopping, is the fitch fight. that's the last time that he actually planted his feet to throw strong punches. fitch is tough as hell, but a decision was still the outcome. it's not as if fitch can't be stopped (hendricks).

with koscheck, gsp was not brave enough to try for the finish. those ugly-ass, weight on your heels, chuck liddell-style overhand-rights he was throwing, were pathetic. he was trying to knock him out in the safest way imaginable, which is why he didn't finish him, or anyone else for that matter.

and with condit, gsp was in worse shape than condit, lol. i don't even need to get into this one...

face it, the guy doesn't want to risk attaining a finish if he knows that he can secure the win with a decision. it's as simple as that.

And in his fight against Trigg he took too long to finish him....you are a hater plain and simple, just stop. He will never be good enough for you and that's fine, we get it.

A futile attempt to prolong the inevitable. Diaz will eat a lot of leather and elbow before it's all over. What a waste of a fight. Oh well, I guess it's still fun to watch Diaz get handled.

A futile attempt to prolong the inevitable. Diaz will eat a lot of leather and elbow before it's all over. What a waste of a fight. Oh well, I guess it's still fun to watch Diaz get handled.

this.

the only one of those fights that you can consider an ass-whopping, is the fitch fight. that's the last time that he actually planted his feet to throw strong punches. fitch is tough as hell, but a decision was still the outcome. it's not as if fitch can't be stopped (hendricks).

with koscheck, gsp was not brave enough to try for the finish. those ugly-ass, weight on your heels, chuck liddell-style overhand-rights he was throwing, were pathetic. he was trying to knock him out in the safest way imaginable, which is why he didn't finish him, or anyone else for that matter.
I agree. Kos came out of that fight with barely a scratch because GSP was throwing pillow fists. KOS had what, a 1 day recovery?

and with condit, gsp was in worse shape than condit, lol. i don't even need to get into this one...
Agreed. Condit won rounds 1,2, and 5 clear as day.

face it, the guy doesn't want to risk attaining a finish if he knows that he can secure the win with a decision. it's as simple as that.

That's why I'm a Diaz fan. Diaz would never decision Condit. That fight can only end by brutal KO.

Dunno if it's quite as good as GSPs, but definitely 2nd best if not

Problem is their styles are not at all similar. Add to this that 2nd best doesn't mean much as GSP is lightyears ahead of everyone. Sometimes 2nd best is great, sometimes it just means you are less a loser than others, but still a loser, this is one of the latter cases.

Gilbert Melendez said:
Shields will be on top of Nick Diaz everyday to prep for GSP's top game.

so-hot.gif

GSP will outstrike Diaz to a UD. So it doesn't make much of a difference.

Good luck with that.

It is a very long shot to win a fight from the guard with the rules of MMA, especially against such a careful opponent as GSP.

Demian Maia has the best top game in the division, he also doesnt gsp

I'm surprised and disturbed by all the people itt that thinks about gay sex when it comes to grappling.

Do you guys even train? Grow up.

Back