Melendez: Shields will be on top of Nick Diaz everyday to prep for GSP's top game

Jay Jay

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Summary

-Nate Diaz is really passionate about getting his brother ready for UFC 158
-Melendez believes Jake Shields has the best top game in the division. Shields is going to be on top of Nick Diaz everyday so that Diaz knows how to deal with GSP in top position*
-Believes a 178lbs division would be ideal for Shields, but he's supportive of Shields in either 170lbs or 185lbs

*IMO, Shields is the best guy to have on your side when it comes to prepping for GSP's ground game. I believe, Shields is the more technical grappler from top, but I believe GSP is stronger, so there is a subtle difference in their style, but nonetheless, I think Shields is as good as it gets when it comes to emulating GSP's top game

Last edited:
they should bring in Brock lesnar instead

And GSP was on top of Shields all day. GSP will beat Nick easily.

Two things:

1) Your statement is false. GSP was NOT on top of Shields all day. The ground exchange was very short-lived.

2) We are comparing GSP's top game vs Shields' top game. I don't recall Shields ever being on top of GSP in that fight, so your talking point isn't all that relevant to begin with

It will make no difference. Georges will still be on top of Nick for twenty-two minutes.

So, Nick's cry to David Terrell went unanswered?

After Nick defeated Baby Jay he grabbed the Mike from Joe and asked David to help him prepare for Georges. Did his Cesar Gracie brother in arms not answer the call?

GSP usually train with Estima and Rogger, maybe he will bring one of them to the camp. Shields isnt in the same universe of BJJ comparing to those two

So, Nick's cry to David Terrell went unanswered?

After Nick defeated Baby Jay he grabbed the Mike from Joe and asked David to help him prepare for Georges. Did his Cesar Gracie brother in arms not answer the call?

Not sure.

But I think Shields is going to do a better job of emulating GSP's top game anyhow. Shields has systematically grapple-fucked legit BJJ Black Belts such as Mayhem Miller & Ed Herman from top position.

If Nick can deal with Shields from that position, I think he's going to be able to make it interesting vs Georges off of his back.

That might prepare Nick well to prevent GSP from improving his position easily but certainely not against the power and efficiency of the GnP LOL.

Diaz knows he's not winning. Hes already said he's ready to take his ass whooping from GSP and take his money. He knows he's fucked. I'm a fan of neither fighter but will support GSP in this one. Diaz is trashy classless fighter IMO.

^^^I don't think Shields will be reigning down elbows and punches during the preparation. My suggestion to simulate reality would be for them to get some animal plasma for their rolling sessions because it's a lot harder to catch a sub when covered in that stuff:)

Still...David should have answered his plea

GSP's GnP won't be effective in this fight.
Nick has underrated striking defense off his back.

Back