Melendez: Shields will be on top of Nick Diaz everyday to prep for GSP's top game

Not sure.

But I think Shields is going to do a better job of emulating GSP's top game anyhow. Shields has systematically grapple-fucked legit BJJ Black Belts such as Mayhem Miller & Ed Herman from top position.

If Nick can deal with Shields from that position, I think he's going to be able to make it interesting vs Georges off of his back.

shields has bad cardio, gsp has phenomenal cardio

shields has a lack of explosion, gsp is explosive

shields doesn't effectively use elbows, gsp uses elbows really well

shields doesn't pass as well as gsp

GSP won't have the courage to go to Diaz's guard. I guarantee he brings the same game plan as he did against Shields. Stand with him and then take him down with 15 seconds left in the round.

for gsp's sake, i hope you're right.

twenty-five minutes in nick diaz's guard is a scary thought.

GSP supposedly had an off night against Shields and he still tooled him, so how is he going to help Diaz? LOL

I like GSP also, but I would love to see a flashback of Diaz vs. Lawler, a man can hope :icon_chee . Even though Shields is a good guy to prepare for GSP with, I think GSP is a little different, he has better GNP and is the overall stronger guy, but not by much. Either way I expect it to be a lot more competitive than most people on here think.

There is only one problem with this, Shields has no ground n pound.

If I can put my troll hat on for a minute, let's see how they both did against Leo Santos.

Melendez is talking about his buddy so of course he's going to say that sort of thing. Imo, Nick is in for an ass whoopin.

you know he's fighting gsp, right?

shields has bad cardio, gsp has phenomenal cardio

shields has a lack of explosion, gsp is explosive

shields doesn't effectively use elbows, gsp uses elbows really well

shields doesn't pass as well as gsp

Have you ever watched a Jake Shields fight?
He goes through every position when he is on top.
He mounted several BJJ and MMA guys for fun.

I say that their guard passes are about equal.

shields WAS able to get dangerous dan down almost at will. if nick can prevent *some* of gsp's takedowns we can have a fun fight... but i doubt it. gsp 50-45 or maybe 49-46

you know he's fighting gsp, right?

The same GSP that has done this to previous opponents?

jon-fitch-3.jpg

josh-koscheck-eye.png

hi-res-6759556_display_image.jpg

Coz Shield has a double leg and top control comparable to GSP.

You people should go look up what other meanings "on top of" has... besides literally being on top...

Back