Melendez: Shields will be on top of Nick Diaz everyday to prep for GSP's top game

That might prepare Nick well to prevent GSP from improving his position easily but certainely not against the power and efficiency of the GnP LOL.

^^^I don't think Shields will be reigning down elbows and punches during the preparation. My suggestion to simulate reality would be for them to get some animal plasma for their rolling sessions because it's a lot harder to catch a sub when covered in that stuff:)

Still...David should have answered his plea

I agree that GSP's GnP is superior to Shields'

But can we at least agree that exposure to Shields' top game on a regular basis is only beneficial for Nick since Shields is one of the few whose top game is just as technical, if not even more technical than, GSP?

GSP's GnP won't be effective in this fight.
Nick has underrated striking defense off his back.

GSP won't have the courage to go to Diaz's guard. I guarantee he brings the same game plan as he did against Shields. Stand with him and then take him down with 15 seconds left in the round.

Jake Shields strong point is his BJJ top game. It makes him the ideal candidate to practice this.

It's a very good idea.

Kind of irrelevant. It might help Nick slow down GSP's attempts to advance position, but St Pierre is more than happy to drop elbows from every position, including within a closed guard.

As important as prepping for a elite fighter's top-game is, he needs to be able to stuff the takedown. I don't see anyway he can train to be able to do that between now and their fight, so I see him losing a lop-sided decision. He has nothing for GSP. I hope he enjoys the pay-day.

Kind of irrelevant. It might help Nick slow down GSP's attempts to advance position, but St Pierre is more than happy to drop elbows from every position, including within a closed guard.

As important as prepping for a elite fighter's top-game is, he needs to be able to stuff the takedown. I don't see anyway he can train to be able to do that between now and their fight, so I see him losing a lop-sided decision. He has nothing for GSP. I hope he enjoys the pay-day.

I am not disagreeing with you, but if you put yourself in Nick's shoes, don't you think training with Shields on the ground is the most ideal thing you can do between now and fight night? (i.e. make the best of what he has)

GSP won't have the courage to go to Diaz's guard. I guarantee he brings the same game plan as he did against Shields. Stand with him and then take him down with 15 seconds left in the round.

No. The way GSP put pressure on the thigh with his elbow on the guard basically take off the offense of the guard. To really sub GSP from there only a really TOP Jiu jitsu guy like Maia or Garcia. Diaz is not close to them

I still think GSP is better on top when it comes to MMA even though not by much. But I also think GSP will have a very diverse game plan ala Bendo-Diaz. Wouldn

Condit apparently brought in world class wrestlers to prepare for GSP, and what good did it do him? Nick Diaz has never faced a wrestler the calibre of GSP, and he is in for good butt kicking in March. Shields is a good guy to train with though.

Melendez is talking about his buddy so of course he's going to say that sort of thing. Imo, Nick is in for an ass whoopin.

GSP usually train with Estima and Rogger, maybe he will bring one of them to the camp. Shields isnt in the same universe of BJJ comparing to those two

Exactly, GSP will bring in better Bjj players than Jake, Nick, and anyone in Cesar Gracie to prepare for Nick's Bjj. So who care, both guys will be preparing. No one prepares better in the sport than GSP.

Diaz is still going to get dominated.

While I agree with your post, but GSP hasnt dropped elbows for years...

Hopefully, Shields didn't go for any subs as that would ruin the illusion of fighting Georges.

Back