Melendez: Shields will be on top of Nick Diaz everyday to prep for GSP's top game

The same GSP that has done this to previous opponents?

jon-fitch-3.jpg

josh-koscheck-eye.png

hi-res-6759556_display_image.jpg

gsp vs. jon fitch: decision

gsp vs. josh koscheck: decision

gsp vs. carlos condit: decision

Shields TDs are severely lacking, he may have top game but that is useless if GSP racks up points with TDs all fight

I think GSP mixes up his game and has Nick guessing the whole way. He is going to eat kicks, jabs and hooks. He will be taken down and eat punches and elbows. I think GSP is the better striker and the only way Nick wins the stand up is if GSP decides to stand right in front of him.

UD for GSP and Nick will be a bloody mess.

Shields TDs are severely lacking, he may have top game but that is useless if GSP racks up points with TDs all fight

I think that's the point. Shields is going to be on top of Diaz. The Gracie camp already know that Nick won't be able to defend the take down, so they're just trying to make sure that Daiz won't be the first death in the octagon.

And GSP was on top of Shields all day. GSP will beat Nick easily.

that shows you didn't watch the fight! it was a stand up fight! GSP didn't want to take him down and GnP because Shield is a master in ground game!

Okay, I'm a GSP nuthugger, so this is all coming from that stand point.

Jake Shields will not do a good job simulating GSP. Shields' BJJ is far superior to that of GSP. The reason why GSP is so dominant is because he never uses just one aspect of fighting.

He is great on the feet because guys are worried about his take downs. He's great at taking guys down, because they're focused on striking.

On the ground, his BJJ is effective because he mixes it perfectly with wrestling and GnP. Better than anyone in MMA.

if you had a straight BJJ match between Shields and GSP Shields wins it 10/10 times. GSP passes guys guards better than anyone (I think he set the record in the Hardy fight IIRC) not through great BJJ, but by getting them to focus on GnP and wrestling. The split second you forget about the BJJ he explodes out of full guard and into half.

The way boxers open up the head is by hitting guys in the body. Body Body Head....GSP does this but on a whole other level. He goes body body head, body body, pass....it messes guys up. He's not better at any one skill than most of the high level guys in MMA, but he combines everything and meshes it better than anyone.

It's why he doesn't finish. He's a jack of all trades, master of none.

Last edited:
After listening to that interview, can anyone tell me if Melendez thinks shields is better at 170 or 185?

"I like him better at 85, he likes it better at 70"
"I didn't like big jake anyway"
"I wish there was a 178, that would be perfect"

Actually, if there was a 178 the title holder would be Silva if he went down, and if he didn't, it would be GSP. Shields would still be about 5th best at 178. You're not in SF anymore Dorothy.

No... how can you watch Jake Shields fight without going to sleep...

He is not as boring as he is made out to be.
He passes guard everytime he wants, gets the mount every time he wants etc.

I do like to see him try to finish more since he can get the most dominant positions without a real struggle and he is very active on top on the ground.

Okay, I'm a GSP nuthugger, so this is all coming from that stand point.

Jake Shields will not do a good job simulating GSP. Shields' BJJ is far superior to that of GSP. The reason why GSP is so dominant is because he never uses just one aspect of fighting.

He is great on the feet because guys are worried about his take downs. He's great at taking guys down, because they're focused on striking.

On the ground, his BJJ is effective because he mixes it perfectly with wrestling and GnP. Better than anyone in MMA.

if you had a straight BJJ match between Shields and GSP Shields wins it 10/10 times. GSP passes guys guards better than anyone (I think he set the record in the Hardy fight IIRC) not through great BJJ, but by getting them to focus on GnP and wrestling. The split second you forget about the BJJ he explodes out of full guard and into half.

The way boxers open up the head is by hitting guys in the body. Body Body Head....GSP does this but on a whole other level. He goes body body head, body body, pass....it messes guys up. He's not better at any one skill than most of the high level guys in MMA, but he combines everything and meshes it better than anyone.

It's why he doesn't finish. He's a jack of all trades, master of none.

I think you are crazy if you think GSP loses to Jake Shields 10/10, even in straight Bjj. Takedowns are still part of a grappling match, and Jake enjoys his success in top position, hence why he is being used for his top game to prepare Nicky. Jake could never get GSP down to get top position. GSP manhandles Jake to the ground at will. So now Jake has to rely on potential sweeps, as he has never displayed an overly offensive guard or submissions off his back. I think GSP gave Shields bjj too much respect in their fight. Even if you sweep GSP, have you ever seen GSP on his back? Have you seen how quickly he changes that? Go watch his fight against Condit. Hell go watch his fight against Fitch, I don't think Shields would to shit to GSP in straight grappling. GSP's Bjj is still so fuckin underrated its incredible.

shields WAS able to get dangerous dan down almost at will. if nick can prevent *some* of gsp's takedowns we can have a fun fight... but i doubt it. gsp 50-45 or maybe 49-46

Dan has no cardio and Shields was only able to get him down after he was gassed, props to surviving early though. And I don't remember GSP going for ANY takedowns in the Shields fight

Well at least Nick is training seriously and intelligently for the fight.

I'm not sure it willhelp much though .

Diaz training with Shields is not going to greatly help and/or make him "know how to deal with GSP in top position."

Diaz training with Shields is not going to greatly help and/or make him "know how to deal with GSP in top position."

Certainlyy cannot hurt.

Shields is arguably #2 to GSP in top position, positionaly bjj. He does not have the td's but once there he is stiffling. Similar to GSP he rarely stays in guard. He advances and tries to setup subs. In that area he is better at finishing them, but for training purposes that will only help Diaz.

Dan has no cardio and Shields was only able to get him down after he was gassed, props to surviving early though. And I don't remember GSP going for ANY takedowns in the Shields fight

not only that but dan had severe back surgery right after that fight from and injury he was dealing with for a long long time leading up to that fight.

he has the surgery already scheduled before he even fought shields.

doubtful that fight would go the same way now.

i would like to see them make that rematch.

Back