Massage or Chiropractor?

I have friends who are orthopedic surgeons and they say that over half of their cases are induced by a chiropractor. Secondly, there's a chiro office outside my academy and once I saw an ambulance take a patient to the hospital, neckbrace and everything.

I have friends who are orthopedic surgeons and they say that over half of their cases are induced by a chiropractor. Secondly, there's a chiro office outside my academy and once I saw an ambulance take a patient to the hospital, neckbrace and everything.

Although some may pass this off as "anecdotal" it is in line with my own experience speaking with physicians. Also i have read several articles stating that exact same fact.

Very interesting piece of data

I'm about to be liscenced in massage therapy. If you think your pain comes from the position of you bones then go see a chiropractor. If you think the problem comes from tension in your muscles then a massage therapist would be your best coarse of action. Perhaps you could try doing some yoga to help lengthen your muscles and increase your range of motion. You don't even have to join a class if you don't have the time. There are many tapes available that you can try in the comfort of your own home.

If you do decide that your problem is muscular than I hope you seek out a talanted massage therapist. It will improve your Jits and also the quality of your everyday life. Make sure you let your therapist know your specific needs so that you get the most out of your sessions.

You could not be more wrong.

Yes try out a massage therapist, or even a physiotherapist, but if you value your back/spine and the money in your wallet do not go to a chiropractor.

I will not even get into why these individuals are called "back quacks" but what they "practice" so far out of the realm of science and plausibility it is ridicious. Do yourself a favor and do a little research on chiropractors "believe" that they are capable of doing. Than match that with research on how the body actually works/functions...

If you have done that, and still want to go to a chiropractor...hey...do not say that i did not warn you

how is there not some regulatory body on them already? I mean every other shady profession gets on the front page of cnn.com and even the cool ones (Like prostitution in NV) but no one ever really sees those guys getting slammed in court or anything

I'm about to be liscenced in massage therapy. If you think your pain comes from the position of you bones then go see a chiropractor. If you think the problem comes from tension in your muscles then a massage therapist would be your best coarse of action. Perhaps you could try doing some yoga to help lengthen your muscles and increase your range of motion. You don't even have to join a class if you don't have the time. There are many tapes available that you can try in the comfort of your own home.

If you do decide that your problem is muscular than I hope you seek out a talanted massage therapist. It will improve your Jits and also the quality of your everyday life. Make sure you let your therapist know your specific needs so that you get the most out of your sessions.

course and licensed.....sorry

No offense Paige, but you have missed the crux of our discussion.

If you have pain from the "positition of your bones" i hate to disappoint you but there is not a lot you can do about that. You bone position is just that...what you get it what you are (for lack of a better term) stuck with. It is possible to go to a phyiso therapist and strengthen the surrounding areas to provide support and structure to the site in question, but you cannot "move" the positions of your bones to reveal pain...
That is not really how things work...

Well that is not true...you can have a variety of different surgical procedures (depending on the specific site and problem) to "fix" problems related to problems with "bone positioning"...but that is a different subject

how is there not some regulatory body on them already? I mean every other shady profession gets on the front page of cnn.com and even the cool ones (Like prostitution in NV) but no one ever really sees those guys getting slammed in court or anything

I am not sure about the USA (i live in Canada), but...

Chiros have gotten to where they are by mis-information and mis-representing themselves. I believe here in canada they are "self regulated" meaning that they have been (for lack of a better term) granted a "professional status" and have the ablitiy to regulate themselves (same is true of physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, etc)...

How have they got to that point...

It is beyond me! Again to the best of my knowledge it is simply a matter of misinformation on the part of the chiros...and a lack of understanding of indivdiuals withing various government agencies that are responsible for the approval of such things...

Sad really

yeah I can see that- I guess with contractors that ruin homes you have certain websites that list them all as kind of a blacklist, I wonder when someone will create the same for these guys- there may already be one

yeah I can see that- I guess with contractors that ruin homes you have certain websites that list them all as kind of a blacklist, I wonder when someone will create the same for these guys- there may already be one

It is hard to regulate pseudo-science. By having a list of "bad chiropractors" you are implying the others are legitimate. It is the same as psychics, by making a list of "fakes" you are saying the rest are (possibly) real. This analogy may seem like a stretch, but if you look up innate intelligence (the basis of chiropractics) it may seem fairly reasonable..

It is hard to regulate pseudo-science. By having a list of "bad chiropractors" you are implying the others are legitimate. It is the same as psychics, by making a list of "fakes" you are saying the rest are (possibly) real. This analogy may seem like a stretch, but if you look up innate intelligence (the basis of chiropractics) it may seem fairly reasonable..

Excellent point my man!

I was not as clear as i could have been in my post addressing this matter. I spoke to issues surrounding the regulation of chiropractors, but i should have included a statement such as the one you made.

I would argue that the comparison that you are making is not far off at all. In fact it is a rather good one in my opinion.
"Professions" (and i use that term lightly) that do not base their practices on logic, reason and science are extremely similar if not the same...whether they be psychics or whether they be chiropractors...

A harsh statement...yes...

But as you mentioned looking at the core of chiropractic (that is innate intelligence and sublaxations) this comparison because relevent and makes perfect sense

Sorry all...i am going to bump this one more time in the hope for a response...

TTT for a response from "guynamedtroy"

Quackwatch does, in a way.
At least I THINK he has a section on the site listing some science based chiros (weird shit, when you think about it, just go to school and become a PT)
And you should see how the CAM proponents slam dr Barrett all over the blogosphere and stuff, those guys can get nasty.

Ironically, chiropractics is at least safe, UNLESS you actually do have disc problems!

Hehe, yeap.
I remember listening to a pretty reasonable chiro who did an interview on some podcast a while back (might have been sgu, might have been IG, not sure) and he was saying he used imaging of a persons spine, and if there was nerve impingement, he didn't treat.
Which is ironic, seeing as that's what chiro theory tells us is at the root of all ills and basically what chiro is all about treating.

I'll see if I can find the interview again, it was pretty interesting.

Quackwatch does, in a way.
At least I THINK he has a section on the site listing some science based chiros (weird shit, when you think about it, just go to school and become a PT)
And you should see how the CAM proponents slam dr Barrett all over the blogosphere and stuff, those guys can get nasty.

Hehe, yeap.
I remember listening to a pretty reasonable chiro who did an interview on some podcast a while back (might have been sgu, might have been IG, not sure) and he was saying he used imaging of a persons spine, and if there was nerve impingement, he didn't treat.
Which is ironic, seeing as that's what chiro theory tells us is at the root of all ills and basically what chiro is all about treating.

I'll see if I can find the interview again, it was pretty interesting.

I am pretty sure that that was was an SGU podcasts (although other podcasts may have certainly covered the same issue)...
And well the gentleman that i am thinking of, was still quite knowledgable, this beliefs regarding the effects/uses of chiro where still....questionable to say the least

I went to a chiropractor once. He put some device on my back that was supposed to tell what the inter-vertebrae pressure was. Then he cracked my back and ran the device again. Of course before the back crack he stated that the pressure was un-normally high. After the "adjustment" he used the device again and said i was within normal limits. I asked what the norms and stuff were on the device and he didnt know what i was talking about.......i wont go back

I went to a chiropractor once. He put some device on my back that was supposed to tell what the inter-vertebrae pressure was. Then he cracked my back and ran the device again. Of course before the back crack he stated that the pressure was un-normally high. After the "adjustment" he used the device again and said i was within normal limits. I asked what the norms and stuff were on the device and he didnt know what i was talking about.......i wont go back

If you feel you must see a chiropractor, which I do not recommend, do not get your neck adjusted. Do your research there are many cases of people having a stroke after getting it done.

Go to the Cairo and get a good cracking. Then go to a massage place a few days later to work out t he kinks. For real that's the best way to go.

Wow...are you BSing me or is that a real story!?

I have never heard of that type of device before! I will have to look that one up!

A new level of quackery!

Back