Massage or Chiropractor?

If you feel you must see a chiropractor, which I do not recommend, do not get your neck adjusted. Do your research there are many cases of people having a stroke after getting it done.

I would have to disagree with you altogether...

If you feel that you need to be see for some sort of spine or MSK issue...DO NOT go to a chiro. Go to your primary healthcare practitioner (a physician or a NP).
Or go to a physio therapist...

These individuals can all hook you up with treatments that will not cause you to put your spine at risk and should also assist you in avoiding practitioners that utilize a type of "magical thinking" in order to practice healthcare

I've been to a chiropractor a few times due to a bulging disc at L5-S1. I told him from the get go "You touch my neck, I'm done here. You do anything that causes me more pain, and I'm done." He cracked my back a few times and then I hit the inversion table. It really did help. I'd still go, but inversion tables are $150...and he's $50 a session.

I agree with both sides.

Today I took my first visit to the chiropractor where I was, in depth, informed how and why medical doctors and dietiticians are pseudoscience practictioners and how chiropractors can actually cure cancer.

Then I was told that people get sick for 2 reasons

1) There is an error in God's plan for your body (which they said was unlikely)

or

2) You need to be adjusted

Ignoring all the bullshit, I let the guy have his way with my lower back (it was free and my lower back has been bothering me for over 2 months, and you know what -- I walked out of there pain free and had one of the most intense training sessions I've had in a long time without any discomfort.

Are they usually lunatics? Yes. Can they help your pain out? Yes.

I think it relates to how it feels good to pop your knuckles. All I know is I felt a lot of stuff crack and I've been running around and jumping and bending over to try and get some pain and I can't.

I advise anyone to try one out at least once. If you don't like it, fine -- I can certainly see where their quackery could annoy people, but if you can ignore all that they actually seem to be on to something.

I've played football my whole life, linebacker, head crackin hits and powerlifting put a toll on your body. Had shoulder operation, hip and neck problems, the whole shabang. I've done plenty of physio, seen ostheopaths, acupunctures and chiros. From my experience, physio is great if you ripped, torned soft tissue, but when it comes down to joints, especially the spine, a good chiro will provide great relief. I can totally feel when my occipital in my neck can't move, and some discs in my back don't move right. Coming out of the chiro treatment, I feel all loose. Chiros don't really "fix", they sort of maintain... I have a degree in exercice science, so I'm not a complete fool, but I'm no doctor, so take it for what it's worth. Good luck!

It depends on where you think the problem is. If you feel your bones have shifted out of alignment then see a chiropractor. If you think it's a muscular problem than a massage therapist would be better.

The truth is no matter how many times your chiropractor realigns your bones, if your muscles are that tight then they will pull your bones back into the same painful position again anyway. I'm just starting out as a LMT, but I'm pretty sure that's how most chiropractors make there money.

I agree with both sides.

Today I took my first visit to the chiropractor where I was, in depth, informed how and why medical doctors and dietiticians are pseudoscience practictioners and how chiropractors can actually cure cancer.

Then I was told that people get sick for 2 reasons

1) There is an error in God's plan for your body (which they said was unlikely)

or

2) You need to be adjusted

Ignoring all the bullshit, I let the guy have his way with my lower back (it was free and my lower back has been bothering me for over 2 months, and you know what -- I walked out of there pain free and had one of the most intense training sessions I've had in a long time without any discomfort.

Are they usually lunatics? Yes. Can they help your pain out? Yes.

I think it relates to how it feels good to pop your knuckles. All I know is I felt a lot of stuff crack and I've been running around and jumping and bending over to try and get some pain and I can't.

I advise anyone to try one out at least once. If you don't like it, fine -- I can certainly see where their quackery could annoy people, but if you can ignore all that they actually seem to be on to something.

Wow...if i had been told that the 2 reasons for gettings sick are
1) an error in god's plan
or
2) you need an adjustment

I would have RUN out of that office! But hey that is just me...and i would have not been in the office in the 1st place so...

If what your chiro said to you does not give a clear-cut example of "magical" thinking i do not know what does!

You can do both- my Fiance is a massage therapist at a wellness center, people using get a combo adjustment/massage (10 min chiro, 30 min massage)

You can do both- my Fiance is a massage therapist at a wellness center, people using get a combo adjustment/massage (10 min chiro, 30 min massage)

You could do both...

But the crux of the arguement is regarding the validity of chrios...

I (and many others) would argue that you are better off seeing a massage therapist and/or a physiotherapist...

But hey...it is your neck/spine...

But do not say that you where not warned...

I've gone to chiropractors for years. I pretty much get adjusted 3-4 times annualy and I've never had one who told they could cure cancer or anything like that. I've also never had a stroke. I have experienced signifigant pain relief though. For what it's worth, my wife used to be medicated for migraines, but once she started getting adjusted a few years ago, she no longer has headaches. Many "mainstream" doctors just want to throw medication at a problem rather than actually fixing anything. But I suppose the over medication of the general populace is a disccussion for another thread.
I've also had massage and those can be excellent theraputic tools as well. Personally, I think you get the most benefit when you combine the two treatments. In fact, it's not uncommon to for chiropractors to employee massuses for that very reason.

1- accupucture
2-yoga

if 1 and 2 dont work, ask around and look for a good chiro via word of mouth.

If having to choose between a chiropractor OR massage therapist, I'd go with the massage therapist.

I've used both and in fact I'm seeing a chiropractor right now. About 7 months ago I strained my lower back doing stiff legged deadlifts (was so bad I couldn't even stand up) but got over it with rest and meds. Eventually I went back to doing normal things but my lower back wasn't as strong as it could/should be, and I re-strained it again recently, not bad, but a big part of it came from sleeping on shitty military beds.

I think getting a massage once a month is great for the body, but there are times when your body NEEDS to be adjusted. My lower back just felt tight, sore, and in general it just felt like there was tons of pressure right above my glutes/bottom lower back.

After just one visit to the chiropractor my lower back felt almost 100% better by the next day. I just recently had my second visit and it feels great, like it should feel. And thankfully my chiropractor doesn't want me to keep coming in, he just wants me to get back to being healthy instead of seeing him all the time like most chiropractors want.

If having to choose between a chiropractor OR massage therapist, I'd go with the massage therapist.

I've used both and in fact I'm seeing a chiropractor right now. About 7 months ago I strained my lower back doing stiff legged deadlifts (was so bad I couldn't even stand up) but got over it with rest and meds. Eventually I went back to doing normal things but my lower back wasn't as strong as it could/should be, and I re-strained it again recently, not bad, but a big part of it came from sleeping on shitty military beds.

I think getting a massage once a month is great for the body, but there are times when your body NEEDS to be adjusted. My lower back just felt tight, sore, and in general it just felt like there was tons of pressure right above my glutes/bottom lower back.

After just one visit to the chiropractor my lower back felt almost 100% better by the next day. I just recently had my second visit and it feels great, like it should feel. And thankfully my chiropractor doesn't want me to keep coming in, he just wants me to get back to being healthy instead of seeing him all the time like most chiropractors want.

I hate to be the one constantly pointing this out...but

Your back never NEEDS to be adjusted. I am sure that you would agree that your lungs need O2. But your back does not NEED to be adjusted...
If you have evidence/research that refutes the claim that i have made...i would love to see it (i am not trying to be sarcastic...i am serious). Current research demonstrates that in certain few circumstances chiro may have some effect (again that is MAY...and not even a definite effect...just a possible effect)...but the majority of the research demonstrates that it has NO effect (never mind any theoratical plausibility)

Current research demonstrates that the "benefits" of chrio are essentially the same type of benefits that you would get from a massage from a registered MT.

So do yourself a favor and skip the chiro and go directly to the MT!

Lol @ Bucketbot getting all bent out of shape in this thread.

i paid for a massage and my back is still not better.
after a couple slams on the mat it hurts again
whenever i can find the time iw ill go to a chiropractor.

Massage all the way. 100%. Nothing relaxes me like a deep tissue massage followed by a Happy Ending.

oh btw get a girl cause they go down quite a ways on your butt (an inch or two down the crack)

a couple months ago i messed my back up really bad flipping tires. I literally needed someone to come help me out of bed to take a piss in the morning. I would say massage therapist and muscle relaxers may do the trick

Lol @ Bucketbot getting all bent out of shape in this thread.

LOL at me indeed!

Hey man it is your back...do what you want with your body. Someone can on here asking for advise/information and i provided that.

Several other individuals have included there thoughts and opinions...or wanted to discuss the matter...
And i was happy to do that with them.

I am not getting bent out of shape at all. I am simply attempting to provide accurate science/evidence based information to those that may not otherwise have access to it.
Not bent out of shape in the least...again just trying to help out

Individuals are coming and asking for advice, or making various claims regarding chiro...
All i have done is provide the other side of the arguement or provided the science/evidence information on the subject

By all means head down to your local chiro and get adjusted...
Be complete in the dark regarding what he/she is doing to YOUR body...
If you do ask what he/she is doing...be completely content with the "magical thinking" explanation that you get!

all the best to you in your ingnorance!

try acupunture or acupressure

worked wonders for me

Ah man...do i have to go into the science (or should i say lack of science/efficacy) regarding this one as well!

I am offically becoming "that guy":icon_chee

Back