Margarito vs. Cotto

Just looking at the fights this weekend, one could easily pick Margarito, (but forget that the level of competition that Cotto has had was greater.) Hard fast puncher, good boxing skills v. tougher than hell killer Mexican.

Just looking at the fights this weekend, one could easily pick Margarito, (but forget that the level of competition that Cotto has had was greater.) Hard fast puncher, good boxing skills v. tougher than hell killer Mexican.

Not to mention that in regards to punching power, I give the edge to cotto. Cotto's left hook to the body is better than Tony's best punch. Although, his uppercut will get anyones attention.

Any word yet on where this fight will take place? If at MSG, then I think the crowd will certainly factor into the equation.

Again, I think people are underestimating Margarito's power. He's really drilled some dudes over his career. Just check out when he started ripping Cintrons body the other night. It's not only his power either, it's consistent power and in combinations.

I don't think Margarito is a power puncher. He comes from good angles and they come in volume. He punches harder than your typical swarmer....but thats about all.

He's certainly not going to be the puncher in this fight.

if margarito was a power puncher cintron wouldn't have tasted round 2.

any idea of where this fight is goin to take place?

edit: boxrec has it at MSG...and thats a shame for Tony.

It should happen wherever Cotto and his camp want it to.

That said, Boxrec won't know just yet. The venue is either going to be Atlantic City, MSG or Vegas. Personally, it makes most sense in MSG.

It should happen wherever Cotto and his camp want it to.

That said, Boxrec won't know just yet. The venue is either going to be Atlantic City, MSG or Vegas. Personally, it makes most sense in MSG.

I understand all that...just wanted Margarito to get a chance at least a few fans on his side. The Mexican buses would break down before they hit New Mexico.

The fights in the stands would be worth just as much as the one in the ring.

crossing my fingers for Vegas

This kind of fight has to be in New York. Las Vegas is not the right venue for this fight.

Didnt Arum say something about Yankee Stadium?

I still think Cotto will win although I'll be pulling for Margarito as Miguel is over-rated with people having him above Mayweather who would rape him.

I watched a couple Margarito fights again. I couldn't put my finger on it before, but I think the reason I rate his punching so highly is he seems to have excellent timing. His punches just seem to zero in on the target, from odd angles of course.

His right hand over top just seems to be a trap so he can get them to duck into his left uppercut. It's a really devastating combo for him.

Some of his squash jobs are on Youtube. His KO's can be really vicious.

Im really interested to see if Cotto can handle his uppercuts. It's exactly the punch Cotto's always been vulnerable too.

Don't know much about Margarito, but he looked impressive. I don't know if he has the punching power to hurt Cotto's style, but I think Cotto's body punches might make quick work of someone with Margarito's build. Cintron looked beated after the 1st rd, as he realized he didn't have the power to check Margo. However, Cotto's fight told me nothing I didn't know before, and it seems like his trainer's are still keeping him away from true punchers. Shane is a great fighter with great skills, but he's not hungry the way he was before his losses to Forrest. Shane is just looking for paydays, without steroids Shane isn't knocking anyone out at 147 in the top 5.

Don't know much about Margarito, but he looked impressive. I don't know if he has the punching power to hurt Cotto's style, but I think Cotto's body punches might make quick work of someone with Margarito's build.

Cintron is the hardest puncher in his weightclass. Harder than Cotto. If Tony can walk through Cintron's shots, then Cotto's not gonna "make quick work" of him. Cotto can land more consistently and accurately, and its possible for him to KO Tony, but he's not making quick work of him. Nobody makes "quick work" of Margarito.

agreed, margarito is a fighter that is a rough night for anyone, no matter how good you are.

same could be said for cotto too, with his body punches.

i lean towards cotto by dec, but im pretty sure someone has already said it... that cotto takes rounds off, and he wouldn't be able to afford to against margarito.

cotto is susceptible towards uppercuts also (which is why i thought he'd have more a problem against judah's left upper)

i think tony can land those.

i think cotto eeks this one out with hard impressive shots, but i wouldn't be surprised with a margarito win. i just wonder how cotto will deal with the pressure, cause to me, it seems like his gameplan when things go terribly wrong is just to punch harder. i dont think his jab will work well against margarito either (im pretty sure margarito's reach is longer) and tony may be able to swarm all over it.

mayweather has to fight the winner of this one, that is for sure

I still think Cotto will win although I'll be pulling for Margarito as Miguel is over-rated with people having him above Mayweather who would rape him.

I'm not a big Margarito fan, but I really see no way Cotto beats him. Stylistically, it seems like a good fight for MArgarito.

He's trying to be a cutie now and look for the snapshot ko rather than grinding away at his opponent until they have nothing left. When you're faced with a solid guy like Margarito, that pot shot cutie shit aint going to cut it.

That said... Cotto knocked "whats his name" down with a jab.. that was OH some!

No , I think since the Judah fight he sees how everyone is labeling him as a body attacking brawler, like Chavez was,and now he's trying to be more versatile by sticking the jab and using more head movement.Good idea. From his interview last night and his demeanor in and out of the ring , Cotto seems like he'd be the last guy to ever look for a snapshot KO.
Margarito vs. Cotto is anybody's fight though....

margarito and cotto are made for each other, cotto has the hand speed and foot work while margarito has the stamina and the ability to stay in cotto's face for 12 rounds, margarito only seems to have problems with tall/lanky fighters. with that said i still believe cotto gets to the body and puts antonio in the corner, should be a great fight

Back