Margarito vs. Cotto

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Cracky, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

So, this match looms according to fightnews. I'm really excited about it. It's going to be a viscious war between two of the best boxing has to offer.
    I'm picking Margarito. I think Cotto is the better fighter at this point, but I don't think he's in the right state of mind. He's kind of reminding me of Shane Mosely after his move from lightweight. He's trying to be a cutie now and look for the snapshot ko rather than grinding away at his opponent until they have nothing left. When you're faced with a solid guy like Margarito, that pot shot cutie shit aint going to cut it.

That said... Cotto knocked "whats his name" down with a jab.. that was OH some!

2. Ancient Warrior

Ancient Warrior Gold Belt

I think Cotto's got the advantage, because I believe he's got a better skillset and is capable of going into a trenches war without folding under Margarito's pressure.

If Antonio had a bit more one-punch KO power, I might have felt different.

3. prontostar

prontostar Gymmy TUNDAH!

at least we will find out if cotto's chin problems were related to cutting weight.

4. Tam-Tam

Tam-Tam Management vs Labour

Cotto is trying to be a cutie? Jeez, boxing needs more cuties then.

5. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Cotto didn't have "chin problems."

That said, I think this fight is tougher now for Cotto than it was before. Before Tony lost to Williams, he had a couple of lack-luster performances. Now he seems hungrier again, and walked through a bunch of Cintron right-hands to get what he wanted. People used to say Tony's chin was suspect, too, because he's been dropped before. Don't think that's so much of a problem now. Cotto can and will do his best to hurt Tony to the body, but if that isn't successful I don't think he's got the speed to out-box Tony for 7 rounds or more.

6. Tam-Tam

He had the speed to outbox Mosley for about 10 rounds. Speed won't be anything even close to being a problem.

Stamina, punch output...big stinky Mexican in his face? Thats difference.

7. Sinister

Once again I meant foot-speed. Maybe I should say that more often.

8. Tam-Tam

Without question you should. Jerk.

9. prontostar

prontostar Gymmy TUNDAH!

it'll be something if margarito wins. a PBF fight will finally make financial sense in PBF's eyes.

10. Too $hort

Too $hort Guest

I agree cotto must break margarito down,if he dosent he will have problems but he is strong enough to back margarito up and margarito loves to fight on inside and I feel cotto can really hurt margarito on the inside with body shots but I feel cotto would be making a mistake fighting on the outside were margarito can get off his punches at a high rate,another I wonder if margarito wants to trade at a high rate becasue if cotto hurts him your not going to bee seeing 100 punches a round from tony

11. prontostar

prontostar Gymmy TUNDAH!

when was the last margarito lost to a person shorter than him?

12. 5acrossYOeye

5acrossYOeye Silver Belt

cotto wont be able to take rounds off in this one.

that could be a problem.

13. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

Yeah he was shifting around Citnron like a pimp. Margarito really impressed me with hsi foot speed

14. Jerome_1

Jerome_1 Guest

15. Sinister

I think you got it a little backwards. Tony doesn't throw as much volume at-range as he does in close, that's how Paul got over on him. Cotto would do best to stay at-range and go in-and-out behind his power-jab. Power-jab, right hand to the body, left hook to the body, then get the Hell back out.

And I don't think he's strong enough to back Tony up if Tony's in-shape.

16. Marciano1

Marciano1 Brown Belt

what will Cotto do when he's facing a guy throwing 100+ punches per round....and who can also attack with body punches?

Margarito by KO

17. El Ninja

El Ninja Blue Belt

Margarito is a machine, isn't he? This is one tough fight to call...

18. Kamehameha

Kamehameha Boricua

Margarito has a mandatory defense against none other than Clottey, who made Tony look like a bum before he broke his left hand. That fight will probably be run over but it's another good fight to see if it does happen. Clottey had a great style vs. Margarito; his tight guard soaked up alot of Tony's wide punches and Clottey is very fast.

vs. Cotto, i'd see Cotto like a chainsaw vs. Tony the tree. Mexicans have tough chins but that does nothing against body shots.

19. Tam-Tam

Clottey is an excuse making loser. He 'breaks his hand' in every fight. His stamina is ratshit. ANyone can look like a superstar for four rounds of a twelve round fight, if they blow their load in that period.

Toni beat Clottey's ass, comfortably. He's a 12 round fighter. CLottey is not. He'll look for a way out somewhere along the line.

20. ssx

ssx Brown Belt

I think Cotto is the goods and has all the tools but sometimes, he goes into periods of regression in tough fights where he loses focus (like he did against Mosley) I'm thinking it may be due to conditioning, hell his style is tough to maintain for 12 rounds no matter who you are. If Cotto gets the version of Margarito that fought Williams, Clottey etc. Cotto wins, if he get the version that fought Golden and then Cintron last night, I'd say it's a pickum fight. Hell if I was at 147, I'd avoid Margarito like the plague.