Margarito vs. Cotto

So, this match looms according to fightnews. I'm really excited about it. It's going to be a viscious war between two of the best boxing has to offer.
I'm picking Margarito. I think Cotto is the better fighter at this point, but I don't think he's in the right state of mind. He's kind of reminding me of Shane Mosely after his move from lightweight. He's trying to be a cutie now and look for the snapshot ko rather than grinding away at his opponent until they have nothing left. When you're faced with a solid guy like Margarito, that pot shot cutie shit aint going to cut it.

That said... Cotto knocked "whats his name" down with a jab.. that was OH some!

I don't know I think Cotto will have his way with Margarita. I think they need to set up Cotto vs De La Hoya but he's got two fights already booked. Don't try to toss him in with mayweater just yet.

Would love to see Cotto, Margarito, Mayweather all fight each other.

As much as i would like to see cotto loose for the first time it sounds like a really tought fight you have to give the edge of fighting in the outside to cotto with his jab and footwork and the inside to margarito but he also has to get good defense because he just wont stand there and not trade body shots with him i want to see cottos chin tested and see how he deals with pressure but will be agood fight for sure

I am looking forward to this one should be real nice... My heart says Margarito but my money says Cotto

Don't think this fight can be anything but exciting. As of now I'm taking Cotto, because he's faster and sharper technically. Enough so to negate Margarito's size advantage and unreal punch output. I don't think Tony will be throwing as recklessly against Cotto as he was with Cintron.

If Margarito had power he would of knocked out Cintron with the way Cintron was fighting and if Cintron had power he would of knocked out Margarito because they both fight way too open...

Cotto is going to pick him apart but Margarito is tough as fucking nails. Cotto isn't going to stand in front of him because that's just stupid of him to do... he's going to jab in, grind him out, put him against the ropes and beat him down.... I think it will be a late K.O in 10/11 rounds.

If Cotto beats Margarito, I think his next fight will be Quintana again to get the WBO WW belt, so then he will be the WBA, IBF, WBO Welterweight Champion and then Mayweather will have to fight him. I think this is what Bob has in mind... it's pretty obvious.

If Margarito had power he would of knocked out Cintron with the way Cintron was fighting and if Cintron had power he would of knocked out Margarito because they both fight way too open...

Cotto is going to pick him apart but Margarito is tough as fucking nails. Cotto isn't going to stand in front of him because that's just stupid of him to do... he's going to jab in, grind him out, put him against the ropes and beat him down.... I think it will be a late K.O in 10/11 rounds.

If Cotto beats Margarito, I think his next fight will be Quintana again to get the WBO WW belt, so then he will be the WBA, IBF, WBO Welterweight Champion and then Mayweather will have to fight him. I think this is what Bob has in mind... it's pretty obvious.

he already beat quitana.:rolleyes:

he already beat quitana.:rolleyes:

I know he did, but Quintana holds the WBO belt. I think Bob will want Cotto to unify the titles if he beats Margarito for the IBF title and if he fights Quintana again and beats him he will be the WBA, IBF AND WBO WW Champion.... this will pressure Mayweather into fighting him plus making it more of a super fight. It's smart promotion and business.

I know he did, but Quintana holds the WBO belt. I think Bob will want Cotto to unify the titles if he beats Margarito for the IBF title and if he fights Quintana again and beats him he will be the WBA, IBF AND WBO WW Champion.... this will pressure Mayweather into fighting him plus making it more of a super fight. It's smart promotion and business.

for 20 mil PBF would fight the big show.

I agree with you guys that this will be a great fight. My take is that Magarito will win by late round tko. He's just tougher than Cotto. If you notice in the Mosley fight, Shane was most effective when he started to pressure Cotto late in the fight. The difference is that Shane only fights in spots, Tony never lets up. I don't think Cotto will be able to stand up to the pressure.

Two pressure fighters with good body work. I really don't care who wins (even though I am a bigger fan of margarito) because the winner has a good chance in fighting PRETTY BOY next year. Both of them will give PRETTY BOY a helluva fight.

FOTY potential...

i'd much rather Margarito fight Cotto than any other fight at 147

Cotto will make Margarito look like Alfonso Gomez

Ha, pretty bold quote. You better watch a few more fights for each fighter and see how their styles match up.

Cotto lunges in for the body A LOT. He's going to be eating stiff straight shots all night.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of both fighters, but Cotto has run into problems before with other fighters that weren't even on Antonio's level.

Margarito Via late stoppage is my pick.

I don't think he's in the right state of mind. He's kind of reminding me of Shane Mosely after his move from lightweight. He's trying to be a cutie now and look for the snapshot ko rather than grinding away at his opponent until they have nothing left.

The Gomez fight was the only time I've seen Cotto act like that. I don't think he'll fight that way against Margarito. Gomez' greatest accomplishment was KO'ing an aging Gatti, who was fighting at a weightclass that's too big for him. Margarito is a much more accomplished fighter. Cotto will give him more respect. The Gomez fight was basically a tune-up for Cotto vs. Cintron or Margarito and maybe Cotto vs. Mayweather later this year.

I think Cotto beats Margarito easily. Margarito's height might be a challenge for Cotto, but I think he'll get inside and pound Margarito with body shots. Cotto takes this by KO.

Back