Margarito vs. Cotto

I think Cotto beats Margarito easily. Margarito's height might be a challenge for Cotto, but I think he'll get inside and pound Margarito with body shots. Cotto takes this by KO.

Not going to be a easy fight for Cotto. Margarito just beat arguably the hardest puncher in the WW division- even walked through Cintron's punches and asked for more. Margarito can easily be any hard puncher's worst nightmare.

I question if Tony can deal with Miguel starting quick and being able to adapt to what Tony shows him, which to be honest is pretty simplistic.

I don't see Tony trying to use his height so much as trying to impose his will, and we all saw that Miguel knows what to do in that situation in the Abdullayev fight and Mosley fight for examples.

I question if Tony can deal with Miguel starting quick and being able to adapt to what Tony shows him, which to be honest is pretty simplistic.

I don't see Tony trying to use his height so much as trying to impose his will, and we all saw that Miguel knows what to do in that situation in the Abdullayev fight and Mosley fight for examples.

i agree zero adjusting on tony side. he only has a plan A.
this is probably the most heat Cotto will ever feel at 147.

what was your opinion on the last few rounds against Mosely?

Was Cotto really boxing? Or was he taking some rounds off?

I "think" he was boxing but sometimes I wonder because he did spit out his mouthpiece and hit low but not sure if thats enough to convince me he took the rounds off.

i agree zero adjusting on tony side. he only has a plan A.
this is probably the most heat Cotto will ever feel at 147.

what was your opinion on the last few rounds against Mosely?

Was Cotto really boxing? Or was he taking some rounds off?

I "think" he was boxing but sometimes I wonder because he did spit out his mouthpiece and hit low but not sure if thats enough to convince me he took the rounds off.

Shane hurt Cotto with body shots in the later rounds. What you talking about?

I don't know why people think Tonys attack is simplistic, who else throws the kind of combos he does? He's got one of the best uppercuts in boxing. Not many guys even throw that punch, never mind actually being good at it. If you're not prepared for those uppercuts then he's gonna take you out! I'll say it again, uppercuts work best against shorter opponents, not only that but Cotto has shown a particular vulnerability against them.

Remember the Torres fight? Every time Cotto traded with that guy he was getting shook to his boots with uppercuts and hooks.

Like I said before, I believe Tony learned his lesson and starts early now. He even said it himself.

I am excited because both of these guys have gas tanks. It could go all night and someone is going to fold eventually. More likely Cotto than Margarito. But Cotto is definitely more skilled. So this is a toss up fight IMHO.

deadpool said:
Not going to be a easy fight for Cotto. Margarito just beat arguably the hardest puncher in the WW division- even walked through Cintron's punches and asked for more. Margarito can easily be any hard puncher's worst nightmare.

Agreed, i don't think iv'e seen anybody look that unfazed after eating so many clean shots.

Magarito was knockdown (flash) and hurt by Antonio Diaz. But that was when he was in his teens I believe. Magarito has pretty damn good chin. He will be able to take Cotto shots upstairs. Let's see how well he takes it downstairs.

If this fight goes down and Cotto wins which I both think are likely to happen how can we not get Cotto Mayweather???

I really think Cotto is our last chance against the ignorant cocky "Money" Mayweather and I pray he wins. If not Cotto I don't see Floyd losing unless he moves to 160 or higher.

Like I said before, I believe Tony learned his lesson and starts early now. He even said it himself.

I am excited because both of these guys have gas tanks. It could go all night and someone is going to fold eventually. More likely Cotto than Margarito. But Cotto is definitely more skilled. So this is a toss up fight IMHO.

Why is it more likely Cotto will fold? Last time I checked it was Margarito who had the 5 losses.

Let's be fair now. Margarito has little experience when he started. I believe his amateur record was like 20 something fights and he turned pro when he was 16. I say you can ignore those first three losses. And TKO loss by cut to Daniel Santos (fourth loss) could be questioned. The fight was so fucking close it could have went either way and i feel Magarito was capable of turning it around if he was given the last three rounds.

The only loss I take into account is the Williams fight. It was a close fight and he got outhustled. If Magarito turned it on early like he has in his few past fights, he would have won.

Let's be fair now. Margarito has little experience when he started. I believe his amateur record was like 20 something fights and he turned pro when he was 16. I say you can ignore those first three losses. And TKO loss by cut to Daniel Santos (fourth loss) could be questioned. The fight was so fucking close it could have went either way and i feel Magarito was capable of turning it around if he was given the last three rounds.

The only loss I take into account is the Williams fight. It was a close fight and he got outhustled. If Magarito turned it on early like he has in his few past fights, he would have won.

Ok, but Cotto has never lost. He's never folded. He's been hurt before by Judah, Corley, Torres, and he came back to stop all 3. I just don't see anything that would lead you to believe he would fold at all.

We all have our own opinions. Head-to-head, pressure against pressure, Magarito takes him. But of course Cotto has the skill set that does not require him to do that.

Shane hurt Cotto with body shots in the later rounds. What you talking about?

when asked cotto said he boxed late in the fight to preserve the lead.

I've seen others on here say he took the rounds off because he had a lead.

he boxed from the outside with Abdulev. He's done it before and I'm asking was he boxing or was he in trouble? or was it a little of both?

Doesn't sound logical. His fight with Mosley was close. Real close. I had Cotto winning, but it was dead close by 2 points. No way you take the late rounds off when the fight is that close. And I saw him get hurt by the body shots. It was around the tenth round when Shane accumulated a decent amount of body work and Cotto is driven back to the ropes.

5, Cotto's work rate definitely droppd off in those last rounds. I dont know if he was trying to box or take rounds off thinking he was farther ahead, but I know what youre saying.

Doesn't sound logical. His fight with Mosley was close. Real close. I had Cotto winning, but it was dead close by 2 points. No way you take the late rounds off when the fight is that close. And I saw him get hurt by the body shots. It was around the tenth round when Shane accumulated a decent amount of body work and Cotto is driven back to the ropes.

I agree the fight was close. I thought Cotto won as well but SSM was walking him down late.

There was judge who gave Cotto rounds 6-11. so not matter what your or my scorecard said it was the judges that counted here.

Some have said the last rounds where Cotto was "boxing" have said he outboxed SSM.

I think you know why I'm asking this....if he was taking these rounds off he might be a little more trouble that some think because Tony will push the fight from Rnd 1 in a different way than anyone he's ever seen.

if you say so...maybe if quintana beats paul again. maybe.

yeah it would make it MORE INTERESTING... but I think Bob Arum for the sake of Cotto having 3 belts will make this fight happen after Margarito... it won't be as big as a draw as Margarito unless they hype it up as a big rematch Champion VS Champion type of thing.

BUT this only happens IF Cotto beats Margarito which is what he should ONLY be focusing on right now. I think Cotto will beat Margarito but it will be a very tough fight. I even think Margarito will knock him down more then once but he will come back in the later rounds like the Ricardo Torres fight.

Every time Cotto gets hurt it's like he wakes up and just fucking kills dudes. This will be Cotto's toughest opponent but I think he will pull off the win by razor close decision or late K.O. Margarito has good upper cuts but you don't think Cotto's camp or everyone else knows that? He's going to train for that and I think Margarito has a strong chin but taking a couple of shots to the body from Cotto then opening your mouth to breath leaves you wide open for a nice left hook on your chin to send you out on your ass.

P.S. to 5acrossyoeye

Think about it. IF Cotto beats Margarito, then defeats Quintana look how big the Mayweather VS Cotto fight would be instead of it happening now or after the Margarito fight.

Miguel Cotto V.S. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Miguel Cotto The undefeated pride of Puerto Rico and the current WBA, IBF and WBO Welterweight Champion of the world will face off with the also undefeated acclaimed pound for pound best fighter in the sport and current WBC Welterweight Champion of the world Floyd Mayweather Jr. . A fight millions of fans have been waiting for! They will unify all four titles on ?? / ?? / 09 ( <-- hopefully ) and one question will be answered who is the best Pound for Pound fighter in Boxing today. HBO PAY-PER-VIEW!

Sounds like the fucking super fight of the century and I think this is how Bob wants it to happen and Mayweather because win or lose for both fighters this will be the biggest cash cow ever. Especially if they do this in Yankee Stadium I think this fight will fill up the whole damn stadium.

yeah it would make it MORE INTERESTING... but I think Bob Arum for the sake of Cotto having 3 belts will make this fight happen after Margarito... it won't be as big as a draw as Margarito unless they hype it up as a big rematch Champion VS Champion type of thing.

BUT this only happens IF Cotto beats Margarito which is what he should ONLY be focusing on right now. I think Cotto will beat Margarito but it will be a very tough fight. I even think Margarito will knock him down more then once but he will come back in the later rounds like the Ricardo Torres fight.

Every time Cotto gets hurt it's like he wakes up and just fucking kills dudes. This will be Cotto's toughest opponent but I think he will pull off the win by razor close decision or late K.O. Margarito has good upper cuts but you don't think Cotto's camp or everyone else knows that? He's going to train for that and I think Margarito has a strong chin but taking a couple of shots to the body from Cotto then opening your mouth to breath leaves you wide open for a nice left hook on your chin to send you out on your ass.

P.S. to 5acrossyoeye

Think about it. IF Cotto beats Margarito, then defeats Quintana look how big the Mayweather VS Cotto fight would be instead of it happening now or after the Margarito fight.

Miguel Cotto V.S. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Miguel Cotto The undefeated pride of Puerto Rico and the current WBA, IBF and WBO Welterweight Champion of the world will face off with the also undefeated acclaimed pound for pound best fighter in the sport and current WBC Welterweight Champion of the world Floyd Mayweather Jr. . A fight millions of fans have been waiting for! They will unify all four titles on ?? / ?? / 09 ( <-- hopefully ) and one question will be answered who is the best Pound for Pound fighter in Boxing today. HBO PAY-PER-VIEW!

Sounds like the fucking super fight of the century and I think this is how Bob wants it to happen and Mayweather because win or lose for both fighters this will be the biggest cash cow ever. Especially if they do this in Yankee Stadium I think this fight will fill up the whole damn stadium.

First off...I don't dislike Cotto. I actually like him a lot. He has heart and he brings it. Humble. Not much to dislike about Cotto.

I don't think belts draws the fans and I think the two of them could make this a mega event by the end of 08 without including Quintana. Cotto already KO'd Quintana.

Cotto fighting someone else before PBF well how about Cotto -ODLH? You could put that in Yankee Stadium.
Once he waxes ODLH then Floyd could fight there as well. My plan is better because it makes more money for Arum's fighter and gives him more exposure than Quintana ever dreamed of AND he doesn't have to beat someone else AGAIN.

Floyd wasnt a mainstream name till be beat ODLH. Neither was Sugar Shane. Or Quartey.

what you think about that idea?

Back