Here is the full report
Final report outlines missed opportunities to stop Maine’s deadliest shooting
A special commission says the Army Reserve and local police missed opportunities to intervene and seize weapons from a spiraling reservist responsible for the deadliest shootings in Maine history.
By PATRICK WHITTLE and DAVID SHARP
Updated 6:35 PM EDT, August 20, 2024
Share
LEWISTON, Maine (AP) — Both the Army Reserve and police missed opportunities to intervene in a gunman’s psychiatric crisis and initiate steps to seize weapons from the spiraling reservist responsible for the deadliest shootings in Maine history, according to the final report released Tuesday by a special commission created to investigate the attacks, which killed 18 people.
The independent commission, which held 16 public meetings, heard from scores of witnesses and reviewed thousands of pages of evidence, reiterated its earlier conclusion that Maine law enforcement officers had authority under the state’s yellow flag law, but didn’t use it, to seize reservist Robert Card’s guns and put him in protective custody weeks before the shootings.
The 215-page report also faulted the Army Reserve for failing to do more to ensure Card’s health and deal with his weapons. And it pointed out that no one used New York’s red flag law to initiate steps to seize the gunman’s weapons when he was hospitalized last summer, even though the law had been used on non-New York residents before.
A special commission says the Army Reserve and local police missed opportunities to intervene and seize weapons from a spiraling reservist responsible for the deadliest shootings in Maine history.
apnews.com