Lorenzo Fertitta: Ronda Rousey is 'the most impressive athlete' the UFC has ever had

Lorenzo Fertitta was recently interviewed by Graham Bensinger, and Fertitta lavished praise upon Ronda Rousey.

Here are some of his comments:

"Why can't Ronda Rousey be the biggest, most popular athlete in combat sports? And that's her whole attitude. And that's why she is getting there. And she's blazing the trail, and I think what's happening for females in sports, the most interesting story, the most important story in sports is the UFC. Because we've embraced it, we don't treat them any differently. They headline big PPV events. They get paid the PPV points when they're champions, no different than the guys do.

"Ronda Rousey's whole life has been transformed from being an ex-Olympic athlete, the first [US] woman to ever win a medal in Judo in the Olympics, and you find yourself literally living out of your car. Because what's the outlet after the Olympics for someone who's a wrestler or a Judo player? And here we come with the opportunity to be on a worldwide stage.

"She has been the most impressive athlete we ever worked with, here at the UFC. I put her up there with the best of the best. Not just for what she can do in the Octagon, but the way she handles herself outside the Octagon. The way she manages her own discipline, the way she trains, the way she balances that with, now she's a worldwide movie star, with these big, big roles that she does."

Your thoughts?

My thought...

F*** this douchebag. He starts to be like dana. Telling lies.
I used to respect him. But lost it completely lately after all the bullshit.
Man i do i dislike the ufc more and more each day

My thought...

Which are the lies?

My thought...

You should stop watching brother. I think youll be happier if you do. Ill miss you man! Now go. Get outta here and dont turn around.

I think that Ronda is probably up there. But I don't see her being a more impressive athlete than the likes of GSP, or Brock Lesnar.

Never a good thing if a boss is full of shit and brainless

Which are the lies?

She isnt the greatest athlete by far. There are about 10 times as much man practicing judu than there are females. So for a female to stand out its much more easy. Let alone the ones that transition to mma. The athletes in the male division face way harder competition and have evolved and trained much more than the female divisions. Ronda is a good athlete but among mediocre (at the most) competition she stands out. But not because she is the greatest athlete ever in the ufc. Its just because the contrast with the rest is so big.
Most men nowadays in the ufc are better athletes.

Never a good thing if a boss is full of shit and brainless

A lot of bosses are full of shit. That's part of what makes them bosses. They're not brainless, however, as they know what they are doing.

The brainless ones are the likes of you, who doesn't get that they aren't brainless.

They constantly justify her position in the sport with her popularity outside of it. It is funny.

She isnt the greatest athlete by far. There are about 10 times as much man practicing judu than there are females. So for a female to stand out its much more easy. Let alone the ones that transition to mma. The athletes in the male division face way harder competition and have evolved and trained much more than the female divisions. Ronda is a good athlete but among mediocre (at the most) competition she stands out. But not because she is the greatest athlete ever in the ufc. Its just because the contrast with the rest is so big.
Most men nowadays in the ufc are better athletes.

Let me rephrase what Lorenzo said: "She has been the most impressive athlete we've worked with".

Every single fighter in the UFC is an athlete, by definition.

Saying that Ronda is the most impressive DOES NOT mean that she's got the best cardio, benchpresses more than anyone, etc.

It just means that she, all in all, is the most "impressive".

You can be impressive in lots of ways.

Geez.

Let me rephrase what Lorenzo said: "She has been the most impressive athlete we've worked with".

Every single fighter in the UFC is an athlete, by definition.

Saying that Ronda is the most impressive DOES NOT mean that she's got the best cardio, benchpresses more than anyone, etc.

It just means that she, all in all, is the most "impressive".

You can be impressive in lots of ways.

Geez.

So basically it means nothing. It has no value at all since you could put any random operational criteria on it you want.
Bit deceptive isnt it??

Lorenzo's not wrong.

There isn't any current champions with the athletic background R3 has. Cain might be the closest with a Top-5 finish in the NCAA's and a JC championship. Weidman has multiple Top-10 finishes in the NCAA's so he'd be the next closest. Former champ BJ Penn is closest when it comes to international competition with his world BJJ titles.

Compare that to Ronda and in addition to her Olympic success, she's been a gold medal world champion several times. She's won both at home and abroad in a very competitive sport. She came into the UFC as a one dimensional fighter and improved herself, rounding her game to the point where she owns one of the fastest KO's in UFC history. Who else in the UFC has athletic accomplishments that compare?

Randleman-jumping.gif

1478151219_0fb28cbc3e_o.gif

So basically it means nothing. It has no value at all since you could put any random operational criteria on it you want.
Bit deceptive isnt it??

Look man its not mindblowing Lorenzo is sayin. Ronda may not have the competition that can compete with her but she trains like she does. This girl did things in judo that american girls werent doing on her level. You dont have to agree but its not like its complete bullshit. She is legit. Its not her
fault the competition cant compete with her.

Hype hype

Has to happen when your company is failing

Back