Lords of the Fallen

I finally got a chance to play this over the weekend via Shareplay. Overall I found it to be a decent game but not one I'd pay full retail for right now.

I am admittedly biased as Dark Souls is probably my favorite game franchise at the moment so this game would naturally have a big shadow cast over it.

While the developer is not American, this is as close to an "Americanized" Dark Souls that you can get. In place of lore explained through obscure item descriptions, inference and context clues Lords of the Fallen clearly presents it's story via in game dialogue and audio scrolls found throughout the land. Instead of brutally punishing each mistake LoF opted for encounters with longer duration allowing players to recover and adjust to the difficulty.

The gameplay mechanics are virtually identical to Souls. My biggest gripe with this game was how non-responsive the controls were. Souls has it's own issues with some quirky control moments but LoF felt very slow and weighted to me even playing as a rogue. This could very well have been lag issues since I was playing a stream from my friend so it could have just been me. Same for the graphics; I was thoroughly underwhelmed by them but it could have been poor resolution from the stream, I suppose.

When compared to Souls I feel like it is clearly inferior but judging it on it's own I think it's a pretty decent game. It's a perfect game for the 2nd quarter lulls gaming often sees to tide you over until the next big release but not something I am excited about running out and getting today.

Ancient Labyrinth will have an emphasis on puzzle solving, exploration, and new enemy encounters. The DLC will introduce The Library, a new puzzle-filled location that will deeper explore the history of the game's protagonist, Harkyn. Players will also be faced with battling a magical ancient Lord, whose powers will constantly change throughout the fight.

The DLC will include a new demon-focused quest, as well as new side-quests and NPCs. Additionally, Ancient Labyrinth will introduce a new puzzle-based mechanic, along with new weapons and armor.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/06/lords-of-the-fallen-ancient-labyrinth-dlc-announced

adding in a puzzle system? Thats a kinda cool

The DLC info actually annoys me quite a bit. I really enjoyed the combat in the Darksiders series but was pretty thoroughly annoyed with how much time was spent doing non-combat oriented things.

You know what this game reminds me of? Doom, all the secrets and stuff like that

Looks like playing as a Rouge is makes the game much much harder

NG+ has been somewhat of a letdown. Haven't seen something that's even close to end game first round weapons and I'm 3 bosses in. I do have to say it's been ultra fast though.

Yeah, that's what I've read about NG+, doesn't really open up anything new. Just beat it this morning and did took out the Warden.

I was going crazy trying to open the path to the Annihilator. Wandered around for like an hour before I figured out I missed a switch by the big chained up guy. Really started steam rolling guys once I got The Last Will great sword, not that I wasn't already dropping dudes with the My Axe, but the Last Will had a huge damage increase even with only one rune slot. Was pretty much one-shotting everything leading up to the soilders in the Citidel. Once I hit them they were taking a few more hits, but still dropping like flies.

Didn't even see what kind of attacks the last boss did. Popped Rage and charged in with a leaping heavy attack into the standard combo and dropped him right as Rage was wearing off.

Overall I had a lot of fun with the game. It's just a rental from Gamefly so I don't think I'm going to go for another round with the NG+ since I have Dead Rising 3 and Dragon Age comes out in a few days. Will probably pick up again when the price drops and hit up the DLC.

I have just started this game, I am at the worshiper and I have to say I really like it, I think it went way under the radar for how good a game it is, they could make a lot of improvements but its a solid game as is.

It's not Dark Souls, but its everything I love about Dark Souls in a different package and scope, so I hope the franchise continues and adds depth in the future.

I really love how they narrate events with the voice notes you pick up, it feel's very "Diabloesque" in a very good way.

Last edited:
Looking for some tips for a beginner here. Just got this game this weekend. Having some good fun so far. Only a few hours into it so far. But, I'm pretty sure I went the wrong direction with my build (Cleric/Solace magic). I'm to the part with the huge spider. This thing wrecks me every time I poke my head into the room to give it a go. Any suggestions?

FYI, I never played any of the Souls games. Closest thing I've played is the first Darksiders.

When the 2nd one comes out im sure they will enhance the game much much more. And rumors is that they offered a job to hideo kojima

Looking for some tips for a beginner here. Just got this game this weekend. Having some good fun so far. Only a few hours into it so far. But, I'm pretty sure I went the wrong direction with my build (Cleric/Solace magic). I'm to the part with the huge spider. This thing wrecks me every time I poke my head into the room to give it a go. Any suggestions?

FYI, I never played any of the Souls games. Closest thing I've played is the first Darksiders.

This guy does a very good walkthrough of the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAkZWQ6kMvU&list=PL7RtZMiaOk8heGV0PGSsQWGxwlLOY85MO

DoMeFavors, thanks for the info. Looks like I passed up a fair bit of stuff I should have picked up on the first level. Looks like it's time to gear up a bit differently, and start over! LOL

DoMeFavors, thanks for the info. Looks like I passed up a fair bit of stuff I should have picked up on the first level. Looks like it's time to gear up a bit differently, and start over! LOL

No shame in restarting lol...in these type of games(dark souls, demon's souls, bloodborne) I think I started a different character after an hour or two in each of them...it's tough because I don't like spoilers but in these games you can miss so much if you don't check out walkthrough's...

No shame in restarting lol...in these type of games(dark souls, demon's souls, bloodborne) I think I started a different character after an hour or two in each of them...it's tough because I don't like spoilers but in these games you can miss so much if you don't check out walkthrough's...

I feel the same way. My play time has changed over the years with career/wife/kids, so I don't have the time I use to with multiple runs to experience everything. These days for games with tons of stuff to potentially miss, I'll fall back on walkthroughs to make sure I don't miss stuff since I'm not going to play through again.

I really did like this game and will probably play through it again.

Here is the thing with the Spider in my experience, if you die in the first attempt, then getting in and started in the next attempts can be tough, as soon as you go in get ready to jump to the right to avoid the web it spits, then get ready for it's jump at you.

Once in the arena and fighting, what works for me is to stay just in range that makes it do it's 3 attacks, I dodge them then get my shots in after the third. When it throws it's seeds for those things to grow I back away and get it to follow and do the same strategy.

I tend to use either Stab or Shift to help make it a quicker fight.

Is this worth getting? It's pretty cheap. I'm gonna get it anyway, I love Action RPGs. But I have bloodborne and sotfs to get through too.

Is this worth getting? It's pretty cheap. I'm gonna get it anyway, I love Action RPGs. But I have bloodborne and sotfs to get through too.

I'm waiting for it to drop into the $10 range before I get it. I have some stuff I'm playing now anyways. The new DMC reboot has been really good so far.

Definitely worth getting. Fun game.

Back