Lords of the Fallen

Was hoping this would be in the mail today, was really bummed when it wasn't. Was hoping to get a little bit of playtime in this week and dive in fully this weekend.

How is the control scheme? Might end up doing some remote play on the Vita, what does L2/L3/R2/R3 do? Since those buttons simulated to the rear touch pad, anything that needs quick response to those buttons is really awkward. Destiny did a really good job with remote play, but games like Bound by Flame were almost unplayable because the reliance of those buttons.

R3 locks on to an enemy like Dark Souls. R2 is a heavy weapon attack. L3 is for sprinting. L2 is off hand use: either weapon attack, some shields have a special attack (L1 is block for everything, but some shields have a 2nd block with L2), ranged magic attack via gauntlet.

im watching the "this is how you dont play" of dsp's playthrough on you tube and man its pretty great

He ends up rage quitting after a game breaking glitch where an enemy heals itself and if you run after it, the game crashes.

You know these guys are Ex witcher devs...why?

CarefreeAgileHorsechestnutleafminer.gif

this game looks absolutely gorgeous. Defiantly smacks souls games in the face there, but im a huge fan girl of these kind of games. The more the marrier

Tried progressing. I can lure the First Warden over to me without aggroing the other enemies but just spams an attack that one shots you so I'm still fucked. Trying way too hard to be like Dark Souls but missed everything that makes Souls games fun.

This snuck up on me. I'll be interested to see what some of the Souls guys like Victor Maitland, sgt. jumpy, and vorpalraddish think. Nothing Vaati or ENB has said has really swayed me one way or the other.

This game was never been on my radar. I might look into it .

EDIT
- watched some vids and dont like the look of it.

Last edited:
Tried progressing. I can lure the First Warden over to me without aggroing the other enemies but just spams an attack that one shots you so I'm still fucked. Trying way too hard to be like Dark Souls but missed everything that makes Souls games fun.

I watched Lobos play the alpha and he liked the weight of the weapons and how they felt. He said they did a better job in that aspect than Souls games did.

The big names in dark souls, epicnamebro, vitya, are saying it's even slower and a little clunkier than the souls games, but still is fun.

I watched Lobos play the alpha and he liked the weight of the weapons and how they felt. He said they did a better job in that aspect than Souls games did.

Swing speed is retardedly slow. And enemies can cancel your attacks. Lobos also beat this game in under an hour. Crazy bastard.

I dont think there is character customisation at the start. I think you just play as the same character each time.

Really? What have you heard?

it was shown behind closed doors. But what we known, its Dark souls in a dark sci-fi setting.

The Surge is set some 60 to 70 years in the future, when the technology that humanity has come to depend upon has turned against it. Süß showed a single piece of concept art (above) of the post-devastation world in which The Surge takes place, where enhanced humans and inhuman creatures live among the ruins of a technologically gifted society.

Players will assume control of a survivor in that world, an ordinary man who wears a powerful, industrial-grade exoskeleton. It's not express built with military combat in mind, but that's where the game's crafting system and modular upgrades will come in, Süß said. Those systems will tie into The Surge's combat, which will allow players to target specific limbs of tech-enhanced enemies, lop them off and harvest their technology.

The Surge's combat will be faster-paced than that of Lords of the Fallen, Süß said, and complemented by exo suit powers, possibly including short bursts of flight for air-based attacks. Deck13 wants to give players a broader range of options in their approach to combat. Customization of the player's exo suit will lead to different play styles, Süß said, using Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare's futuristic exoskeletons as an example of potential upgrade paths.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/6/9108177/the-surge-deck-13-gamescom
a post from someone on neogaf

From what I read here and in another interview, it seems it is a Melee Combat game in the vain of Lords of the Fallen, but in addition the Exo enhance your abilities, like the whole new Areal Combat they want to introduce, and I'd believe there would be more enhancement, not to mention you will be able to customize your exo. Last but not least there will be some sort of remote weapons, they will either be very limited or they will just help you in close combat: attracting enemies or stunning enemies.

Well to answer a few posts. I play DS and this with a PS3 controller. The initial controls are probably very well thought out, but in a reactionary game I prefer the dark souls one button to one command method and the second option for controls in the options is pretty much dark souls control setup. Kudos to the devs for that.

Gameplay wise it's dark souls lite in the combat and I haven't been really impressed by any fights yet but I'm only a couple bosses in so far as I have to work a lot this week I won't get too much further before late next week. The weapon/magic system is interesting at the least but I've read reviews that say your character becomes pretty OP at the end. I don't know how the NG+ system works yet so I don't know how I feel about that. Realistically though my NG Dark souls characters always crush bosses by the end anyway.

One interesting disagreement I have with most peoples opinions is that I feel like this game actually requires you to play a lot more defensively than souls. There are just a lot less opportunities to attack. I pretty much run a blitz strategy on every boss in souls because I don't like to waste time. My Kalameet kill on the ENB class challenge was 2:21. The enemy combat system isn't very smart and it's hard to bait hittable attacks a lot of the time. Makes some bosses take forever.

Then you have ELEX

-
two hour interview with creative director Björn Pankratz
- idea for the game came up with planned Star Trek easter eggs for earlier Gothic games
- hero has a name (not revealed yet)

- Elex is a drug everybody in the universe is after
- Elex reached the game's planet via meteorite impact
- Intake of Elex results in continous loss of humanity (also refered to as "coolness")
- Elex causes mutations to addicts

- catastrophe on the planet caused the rise of several different groups
- some heavily rely and focus on tech, some dropped every modern technology and sort of live in the middle age
- civilisation before the catastrophe similar to our current status
- devs want to adress serious issues (acceptance of drugs in society, 'right' form of society...)

- huge world, barely scripted, exploration
- 3rd person view, skill system, join fractions, melee, magic, ranged weapons
- crafting
- streamed world, no loading screens
- in-house engine with PBR
- no outsourced inventory management, minimal HUD (GS speculation: Dead Space like)
- optional tutorial

- fans of Gothic will definitely recognize the Piranha Bytes touch
- Pankratz says Gothic 3 was "too generic", "barely any dialogue", "stories not involving", promises to alleviate these issues in Elex
- no pick-one-out-of-three ending in Elex (apparently also a huge flaw of Gothic 3? i dunno)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173210040&postcount=87

This one happens to have mechs as well if you go to the next page the translate the german interview

Cheesed the graveyard prick with the gauntlet and made it passed where I was stuck. Infiltrator boss is next but I've got some exploring and likely farming to do. Time to get overleveled.

You know these guys are Ex witcher devs...why?

CarefreeAgileHorsechestnutleafminer.gif

this game looks absolutely gorgeous. Defiantly smacks souls games in the face there, but im a huge fan girl of these kind of games. The more the marrier

I kind of disagree. Souls spends less time hyper-pixelating individual mob encounters and the floor (seriously, lol) and more time on making unbelieveable environment backdrops/landscapes. Dark souls gives you a scope of how insignificant you are with their landscapes and makes the game feel so much more epic because of it. To me this is far better graphically than trying to throw as many pixels into my opponents over designed foot armor...

For example this:
itjQwd079yV0E.jpg

Or:
8670347906_2219b4cef0_z.jpg

or:
3282742-1399128453.jpg

Dark souls does an amazing job with the "What the hell have I gotten myself into now" moments with it's revealing of landscapes. Just my opinion.

He ends up rage quitting after a game breaking glitch where an enemy heals itself and if you run after it, the game crashes.

oh yeah man i watched the whole thing, it was hilarious. he raged harder than normal.

it was shown behind closed doors. But what we known, its Dark souls in a dark sci-fi setting.

Was reading about that the other night but didn't find half as much info, thanks.

I'm a bit disappointed there isn't going to be a Lords of the Fallen 2 but it's cool that they're taking a step in a new direction.

Reminds me of this pic:

hack%20souls_zpskybrkhu7.jpg

im gonna pick this up, just need to figure out if i want to get it on Friday or tomorrow

EDIT

Me neither...not a big fan of the over-the-top fantasy art-style of Warhammer/WoW and this seems to fit that mold. That's not really enough to turn me off, but I'm not really psyched either. I put it on my wishlist in hopes that it goes on sale when Bloodborne comes out.

I simply can't get into this. Shitty combat+overpowered enemies and no path to travel. Every motherfucker I fight had a giant shield.

ibgcDirLFSPYYS.gif

it looks like its getting 7s and 8s across the bored. So i guess a mild 80% score? it seems worth the cash, still not sure what to get it for.

I simply can't get into this. Shitty combat+overpowered enemies and no path to travel. Every motherfucker I fight had a giant shield.

Sounds like you really just suck at the game. Its really the same basic principle as souls games

I'd say the graphics are without a doubt significantly better than Dark Souls. You can talk about art design in terms of backdrops and stuff (personally I think this game does a good job in that regard too), but regarding actual graphical fidelity it isn't even close. In terms of difficulty, I only played Dark Souls 2 but I would say this game is without a doubt on par with that game. Once I learned to properly roll in Dark Souls 2 there was no longer any difficulty in the game, really. I died a few times in Amana due to those homing missiles, but on the whole it was a really easy game (never played the first one). The rolling isn't quite so "OP" in this game, so far at least, so in that regard the combat is more difficult. However, the spells will definitely make your character OP so if you go that route (they require attribute points into Faith) you will be probably killing things no problem. For example, 1 point into the 2nd Brawler spell removes the energy requirement for weapon attacks for a short period. Meaning I can, assuming I don't get hit/interrupted, spam my greatsword heavy attack and kill almost anything. I've run into a few higher level areas where the enemies barely lose HP from my greatsword so they would still be an issue.

Sounds like you really just suck at the game. Its really the same basic principle as souls games

It's shittier than Souls games. The camera gets stuck everywhere leading to cheap deaths, enemies have gigantic shields and often gank you, combat is slower than molasses. The only thing I enjoy in this game are the boss fights because they're legitimately challenging. They require strategy instead of just spamming attack buttons. I was on the edge of my seat fighting the Commander and Worshipper because I was always one hit from death.

I like the spells too. Rage is awesome.

I'd say the graphics are without a doubt significantly better than Dark Souls. You can talk about art design in terms of backdrops and stuff (personally I think this game does a good job in that regard too), but regarding actual graphical fidelity it isn't even close. In terms of difficulty, I only played Dark Souls 2 but I would say this game is without a doubt on par with that game. Once I learned to properly roll in Dark Souls 2 there was no longer any difficulty in the game, really. I died a few times in Amana due to those homing missiles, but on the whole it was a really easy game (never played the first one). The rolling isn't quite so "OP" in this game, so far at least, so in that regard the combat is more difficult. However, the spells will definitely make your character OP so if you go that route (they require attribute points into Faith) you will be probably killing things no problem. For example, 1 point into the 2nd Brawler spell removes the energy requirement for weapon attacks for a short period. Meaning I can, assuming I don't get hit/interrupted, spam my greatsword heavy attack and kill almost anything. I've run into a few higher level areas where the enemies barely lose HP from my greatsword so they would still be an issue.

wait a second you already beat this game?

EDIT

Same. I think it's good that it's getting decent reviews but I just can't help myself in comparing it to DS and it certainly seems to be way short on the Souls charm and game play depth. I love Souls for the odd lore, atmosphere and mystery of figuring out how things work. To have those things kind of dumbed down really turns me off.

Same. I think it's good that it's getting decent reviews but I just can't help myself in comparing it to DS and it certainly seems to be way short on the Souls charm and game play depth. I love Souls for the odd lore, atmosphere and mystery of figuring out how things work. To have those things kind of dumbed down really turns me off.

I watched FightinCowboy in youtube . He is doing a playthrough..
didnt look too good .

I HATE that boss so much.

He killed me a handful of times. I just took it slow, knocked the armor off his legs, popped a Rage when he went to heal and went to town two-handing My Axe. I actually hate those Tyrant assholes more.

I watched FightinCowboy in youtube . He is doing a playthrough..
didnt look too good .

Shame. My buddy picked it up today and I'm going to put Shareplay to the test and see what it's all about.

I like this game, not as much as souls games but I liked it, have played it with different builds, strength build was my fav, followed by agility.

Just picked it up.

Played about 45 minutes past the first boss. Using a rogue/deception build.

In the well of death area. Annoying as fuck. Not enough checkpoints for the amount and strength of enemies in this area.

these graphics might convinced me to get a ps4. It really is a drastic change.

Shame. My buddy picked it up today and I'm going to put Shareplay to the test and see what it's all about.

lemme know what you think pl0x. If memory serves, you've plugged a lot of time into Souls.

Back