Looper, Dredd, or Total Recall?

3163.gif

Look at that fuckin scowl. I can't believe anyone disliking this movie.

It's not after.

Fish and Sakar are walking when suddenly Sakar is murdered by holy shit OJ Simpson. Fish then goes back in time to tell young Sakar what will happen. Armed with this knowledge Sakar kills young OJ, thus creating more divergence, which was already on a divergence when Fish went back in time. There is no going forward in time except for the reg pleb way.

False. A) The looper hit men do not have personal access to time travel.

B) Sakar will not be murdered in the same time in which he and Fish are "walking". Sakar will captured and transported back decades and killed, thus Fish has no idea who actually does the murdering. The only thing Fish could warn against are Sakar's captors, which are present regardless of who kills him in the past.

C) If the above points weren't in play (which they are), if a looper hit man and his friend are willing to go through all of that trouble, then they would absolutely be willing to go through the trouble of just not killing themselves in the first place. i.e., create a signal in the beginning to warn that it is you, like humming a tune, tilt of the head, etc...

Just recently watched all 3. Dredd was awesome. Great cinematography and Karl Urban showed the menace the character deserved.

False. A) The looper hit men do not have personal access to time travel.
You're incorrect. Bruce Willis travels back in time on his own accord, because he wants to prevent the death of his wife.

B) Sakar will not be murdered in the same time in which he and Fish are "walking". Sakar will captured and transported back decades and killed, thus Fish has no idea who actually does the murdering. The only thing Fish could warn against are Sakar's captors, which are present regardless of who kills him in the past.
Ah, I see that we're not even talking about anything.

I need to bring it back to your original post.

Looper plot hole. Don't have the fucking people kill themselves and you wont have so many "letting your loop run" situations.

Unbelievable.
Okay, that's not a plot hole. What you're saying is very much like don't get in the car if you don't want a car chase. The car chase is the point.

You're incorrect. Bruce Willis travels back in time on his own accord, because he wants to prevent the death of his wife.

Ah, I see that we're not even talking about anything.

I need to bring it back to your original post.

Okay, that's not a plot hole. What you're saying is very much like don't get in the car if you don't want a car chase. The car chase is the point.

No. Back to your point

Fish and Sakar are walking when suddenly Sakar is murdered by holy shit OJ Simpson. Fish then goes back in time to tell young Sakar what will happen. Armed with this knowledge Sakar kills young OJ...

The attended hit is not murdered in that time. He is transported back in time, so how could he be warned that OJ is going to kill him, so he could kill OJ first?

If he is able to warn him of anything, it's that he will be killed in general. They already know this, decades in advance, when they originally sign up.

The attended hit is not murdered in that time. He is transported back in time, so how could he be warned that OJ is going to kill him, so he could kill OJ first?

If he is able to warn him of anything, it's that he will be killed in general. They already know this, decades in advance, when they originally sign up.
You're not following my example. My example dictates Sakar is murdered before there's any transport back in time. If you don't follow the example, of course the rest of it will be lost.

You have a problem with WHY they set up the Looper system this way. But it makes sense. You join the mob, and the mob tells you you'll have to eventually kill yourself -- but you, as a young person, won't know when you'll do it until after it's done. When you've done it, you, as a young person, get to retire and burn away your retirement until they come to get you.

The reason why they kill you is to keep the time disturbance to a minimum. The reason why YOU kill you is the same thing.

If another person kills your older version, then this movie is not called LOOPER but rather BACK IN TIME EXECUTIONER and frankly that title stinks.

You're not following my example. My example dictates Sakar is murdered before there's any transport back in time. If you don't follow the example, of course the rest of it will be lost.

You have a problem with WHY they set up the Looper system this way. But it makes sense. You join the mob, and the mob tells you you'll have to eventually kill yourself -- but you, as a young person, won't know when you'll do it until after it's done. When you've done it, you, as a young person, get to retire and burn away your retirement until they come to get you.

The reason why they kill you is to keep the time disturbance to a minimum. The reason why YOU kill you is the same thing.

If another person kills your older version, then this movie is not called LOOPER but rather BACK IN TIME EXECUTIONER and frankly that title stinks.

I stopped reading at the underlined, because that is the whole point of the movie. The movie would not even exist if it were feasible to kill them (or anyone) in the present day/future. They are transported back in time, then murdered.

My point is why not have another looper kill them after they are transported back in time. Everything is the same, except the looper hit man is someone other than the targeted hit's former self.

This is what you call circular reasoning. Check out the last line of my previous post.

This is what you call circular reasoning. Check out the last line of my previous post.

Your first line dictates that everything following is invalid. I edited my last post. Re-read it and see that I am correct.

I can see what you're saying; it's just not addressing a plot hole. That's not a plot hole.

The problem with your scenario is due to the story points. Follow the bouncing ball if you can.
Say Bruce Willis isn't future JGL, like you want. Let's keep Bruce. Let's make his intended executioner Paul Dano. So Paul Dano misses his shot to cap Bruce and has to do all the things JGL did. Dano is faced with this situation: He must stop Bruce Willis, who is about to shoot Emily Blount and then wound Mexican Andy Richter, thus turning him into the Rainmaker. So he shoots him before he does. And that's it. Movie's over. Right?

The problem is Paul Dano creates the situation in which Andy becomes the Rainmaker. The only way he can prevent it is by removing himself, and his future version --- but whoops, that's not Bruce Willis.

I would watch Dredd, because I haven't seen it yet. Looper was great. I watched it without any expectations and it was one of the most original sci fi movies I've seen. Which leaves me to believe that the people that didn't like it rather see rehashed concepts.

Last edited:
Out of these three:
#1 Looper
#2 Total Recall
#8 Dredd

I can see what you're saying; it's just not addressing a plot hole. That's not a plot hole.

The problem with your scenario is due to the story points. Follow the bouncing ball if you can.
Say Bruce Willis isn't future JGL, like you want. Let's keep Bruce. Let's make his intended executioner Paul Dano. So Paul Dano misses his shot to cap Bruce and has to do all the things JGL did. Dano is faced with this situation: He must stop Bruce Willis, who is about to shoot Emily Blount and then wound Mexican Andy Richter, thus turning him into the Rainmaker. So he shoots him before he does. And that's it. Movie's over. Right?

The problem is Paul Dano creates the situation in which Andy becomes the Rainmaker. The only way he can prevent it is by removing himself, and his future version --- but whoops, that's not Bruce Willis.

While its true Paul Dano wouldn't be able to stop Bruce Willis by shooting himself, that has nothing to do with the Looper system. JGL shooting himself is a personal action that he takes, nothing to do with the Mob or its setup at all. The question is why should someone close their own loop when an easier option exists.

oooh thanks for reminding me. i rented looper last night and fell asleep. i have like 4 hours to watch it.

Back