Looper, Dredd, or Total Recall?

I don't understand the hate it's getting. It's got an interesting story (much more so than simply "alien creature gets loose and kills everyone but sigourney weaver"), the lead actors all nail their roles, and its visually spectacular with some of the best action sequences of the last few years IMO.

It's worth watching just to see Fassbender's creepily curious android, Elba's witty ship captain, and Theron's ultrabadass Vickers.

I liked it but it wasn't really even an Alien movie

The one with Mega Blocks, Mega Highways and Mega-City One.

Equus is right on...Total Recall has nothing in common with the original other than the premise. Anyone who says Total Recall 2012 was anything other than pure shit doesn't have a brain.

Why did Colin Farrell's brain have to be wiped? Did you ask yourself that? You see, in the original, there was a reason that his character had to have his memory wiped: the leader of the resistance could read minds. It was the only way that Arnie could infiltrate his network and get close to him. The entire premise of the movie doesn't make any sense in the remake.

Explains everything. It's super illegal in the future, havin you murder yourself is the way to remove all evidence because then no one else can be your murderer, you can't revenge kill etc.

A) A looper would be murdering someone in the past, where they already murder people for a job. So the first part is completely invalid.

B) A revenge kill is at least a thousand times more unlikely than letting your loop run (especially considering they all signed up for this knowing, and how would they even find out that their older self is dead, who exactly killed him, etc...)

And, for the organization doling out murders, a revenge kill would be highly preferred over letting a loop run.

It's a sloppy explanation but I think he's talking about retaliation. You may not be able to stop your own death, but if you find out who offed you and killed them it would change the future. Time travel's messy and they're trying to keep everything as tight as possible.

That makes no sense. If someone kills your older self, and you have no access to a time machine, killing said person after they have killed your older self does absolutely nothing.

Makes no sense and explains away nothing.

It's not after.

Fish and Sakar are walking when suddenly Sakar is murdered by holy shit OJ Simpson. Fish then goes back in time to tell young Sakar what will happen. Armed with this knowledge Sakar kills young OJ, thus creating more divergence, which was already on a divergence when Fish went back in time. There is no going forward in time except for the reg pleb way.

The one with Mega Blocks, Mega Highways and Mega-City One.

Which all takes place indooors...

Its a good flick, but... cmon.

Looper is fun, like the other poster above (someone) said, Dredd is good. Cerebral = looper, even though its fun as well.

this thread needs a poll

with that said, dredd

and you know this how? Maybe people REALLY did enjoy it that much more.

You're right, most of the feedback has been positive. The action scenes were underwhelming imo. I didn't hate it so whatever. The Stalone one was more entertaining.

Les Miserables. I mean 2 hours and 50 minutes of nonstop fucking singing about the French Revolution. :(

I've heard good things about Dredd. Total Recall was terrible. Looper was awesome. idk wtf everyone in this thread is talking about?

looper was poorly written, or maybe written well but executed poorly and other than joseph levit the acting was sub par. Dredd by first round explosive round.

Blasphemy. The little kid in the movie was fucking amazing. Creepy as hell. Willis was solid, as always. Jeff Daniels was awesome. The main girl was the only one who was sub-par and even that's a stretch.

How do you feel it was poorly executed?

I think Bruce Willis said it best in the movie, when JGL was questioning the logistics of time travel.

"It doesn't fucking matter"

It's time travel. The more you think about it, the more implausable it becomes. Every time travel movie suffers from it. Even the very best, like T2, or Twelve Monkeys.

Haha. I enjoyed the whole "we'll sit here for hours making diagrams with fucking straws" lines too.

That's the nature of time travel movies. They're going to have plot holes. It can't be avoided. The time travel aspect of Looper wasn't that important thematically. It was just a plot device.

Which all takes place indooors...

Its a good flick, but... cmon.

3163.gif

Dredd or Looper. Dredd was fucking awesome. Looper was okay.

I was surprised by this, btw.

Back