Looper, Dredd, or Total Recall?

I recommend both Looper and Dredd, if I had to choose between them I think I liked Dredd a little bit more. Haven't seen the new Total Recall yet.

That makes no sense. If someone kills your older self, and you have no access to a time machine, killing said person after they have killed your older self does absolutely nothing.

Makes no sense and explains away nothing.

well the quote wasnt really answering the "plothole" that was addressed.

i just watched it. thought it was great.

what the quote was answering was "why dont other looper's kill you instead of you closing your own loop". if you know the looper that kills you, you can retaliate should you want to live beyond 30 years. if you do that, you fuck everything up.

the answer to "why not let the looper's live" is because the future mafia wants to eliminate the loopers' connection to them. there are other questions that arise from there, but that specific question was explained in the movie.

edit: err, wait. you can't retaliate because you'd find out after they killed you...so i dunno. i guess the criminals of the future havent figured out the best solution.

Last edited:
Looper and Dredd were both awesome. Looper was an actually intelligent thought l provoking sci fi and Dredd was just bad ass.

edit: err, wait. you can't retaliate because you'd find out after they killed you...so i dunno. i guess the criminals of the future havent figured out the best solution.
The reason every Looper is supposed to kill himself is because if someone else did, nobody would time travel. Just kill dude in the same timeline when he's not looking. There's your retirement, jerkoff.

So instead of LOOPER, they want guy who goes back in time to warn himself he's gonna get killed but if that's what they got, they'd bitch and say it should be the other way.

I think the Loopers killing themselves makes sense.

Every Looper knows what they're getting into by agreeing on taking on the job. They know the consequences of not closing their loop. It's part of the contract.

Total Recall was shit, I didn't like Looper, Dredd was awesome.

I got to agree with this... I couldn't watch Looper or the new Total Recall.. I fell asleep on the new Batman movie with Joker back then and I recently laughed my ass off every time Bane talked in the new one before falling asleep halfway through it...

Dredd on the other hand, is one of the most bad ass movies I have EVER seen.. It goes down with classics such as Bloodsport, Kickboxer, Maximum Overdrive, Dawn of the Dead remake, Predator, Aliens, Tombstone, T1 and T2, Army of Darkness.... Dredd to me was THAT good...

I'm watching it now...

This is my personal opinion... I just threw down my personal list of epic movies.. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few... Most are older movies... Dredd is one of the first modern classics ever for me...

/rant/

I think the Loopers killing themselves makes sense.

Every Looper knows what they're getting into by agreeing on taking on the job. They know the consequences of not closing their loop. It's part of the contract.

it makes sense just fine, but it's not like a fool proof plan - which is conducive to the plot. i mean, that's why the movie takes place.

so STFUTGF is right. it's not a plot hole. rather, it's the plot's catalyst.

The reason every Looper is supposed to kill himself is because if someone else did, nobody would time travel. Just kill dude in the same timeline when he's not looking. There's your retirement, jerkoff.

So instead of LOOPER, they want guy who goes back in time to warn himself he's gonna get killed but if that's what they got, they'd bitch and say it should be the other way.

the whitebelt was trying to work through it logically, which should be a complimentary process rather than a detriment to the movie.

but playing his game, he's right. there are better ways the looper system could have been handled (by the characters). finishing someone else's loop or whatever. have your pick.

i watched the interview of the director with the quote that was used in this thread. in that interview, he talked about how he considered having a scene where Jeff Daniels criticized the system, but ultimately felt it was superfluous and preferred to let it give way to discussion. so good call on RJ's part.

I get it. It seems like the story they want is for them to team up to sniff out the Rainmaker together, then come to the realization they are what is in fact creating him.

But, it doesn't make sense to go through the trouble of sending an old looper back in time when they could more easily kill him without it. If there's another method, I am all ears.

Back