Social Letters from Joe Biden reveal how he sought support of segregationists in fight against busing

JonesBones

Excuse my contraflow
@Steel
Reaction score
Bad white man!

(CNN)Joe Biden's road to a third presidential bid has been lined with a series of explanationsand apologies, illustrating the challenges of preparing a long record of public service for fresh scrutiny under the spotlight of the 2020 campaign.

Yet he rarely discusses one of the earliest -- and most controversial -- issues he championed in the Senate: his fight against busing to desegregate schools.

It was more than four decades ago as a battle raged across the country -- and in Congress -- over sending white students to majority-black schools and black students to majority-white schools often far away from their own neighborhoods. Biden forcefully opposed the government's role in trying to integrate schools, saying he favored desegregation, but believed busing did not achieve equal opportunity.
In a series of never-before-published letters from Biden, which were reviewed by CNN, the strength of his opposition to busing comes into sharper focus, particularly how he followed the lead of -- and sought support from -- some of the Senate's most fervent segregationists.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/11/politics/joe-biden-busing-letters-2020/index.html

40 years ago?

Come on

Well people are still crying about the Nazis everyday and calling everyone one and that was even longer ago. Past racial crimes matter a lot. CNN broke this story and is all over it.

Weird how this is all such a big deal now huh?

I wonder how much difference Twitter and others have made in the last 10 years. They certainly were nowhere near as relevant during Obama and not everyone was looking into people's past to find any dirt. If anything, it is a result of Me Too and social media imo.

I have no problem with his position. The fact he would seek support from working Congressman, since that's necessary, wherever he thought it most likely, is a matter of coincidence, and not an indication he supported segregation by association.

This will be yet one more test of liberal hysteria. If they take the bait, I can't even...

Man, they're going in hard on this dude. He hasn't even officially announced he's running. LOL.

He was for integration but wasn't for making kids ride extra distances to get to school. How is this controversial?
content.php

Last edited:
I wonder how much difference Twitter and others have made in the last 10 years. They certainly were nowhere near as relevant during Obama and not everyone was looking into people's past to find any dirt. If anything, it is a result of Me Too and social media imo.

I think it's much more a result of him possibly running for the Dem nomination, which makes him a target for the "circular firing squad" as Obama put it.

I think it's much more a result of him possibly running for the Dem nomination, which makes him a target for the "circular firing squad" as Obama put it.

lol at circular firing squad. That's a good one. But what forms that circle? One could argue Twitter. Twitter is a circle. It expands and intensifies the circle at least. Now, normal people can slander somebody on Twitter and it just spreads.

Pedo and racist? The left should love this motherfucker.

Haha Dems are destroying their only viable candidate

Bad white man!

(CNN)Joe Biden's road to a third presidential bid has been lined with a series of explanationsand apologies, illustrating the challenges of preparing a long record of public service for fresh scrutiny under the spotlight of the 2020 campaign.

Yet he rarely discusses one of the earliest -- and most controversial -- issues he championed in the Senate: his fight against busing to desegregate schools.

It was more than four decades ago as a battle raged across the country -- and in Congress -- over sending white students to majority-black schools and black students to majority-white schools often far away from their own neighborhoods. Biden forcefully opposed the government's role in trying to integrate schools, saying he favored desegregation, but believed busing did not achieve equal opportunity.
In a series of never-before-published letters from Biden, which were reviewed by CNN, the strength of his opposition to busing comes into sharper focus, particularly how he followed the lead of -- and sought support from -- some of the Senate's most fervent segregationists.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/11/politics/joe-biden-busing-letters-2020/index.html

Without reading the actual letters, I'd say that he had a point. Bussing a few blacks to a white school did not end inequality for blacks in general.

Without reading the actual letters, I'd say that he had a point. Bussing a few blacks to a white school did not end inequality for blacks in general.

You and Madmick have made this situation too nuanced. Most people just wanna see black and white. I seriously doubt Biden did this out of racism.

Back