Lets be honest - Conor has poor defence

I don't know if I'd say it's poor but it is definitely not very good defense. He doesn't really need elite defense because: A) He has a large reach advantage over just about everyone at 145, B) He has a very solid chin, and C) His volume offense is so potent that it keeps his opponent constantly defensive and overwhelmed.

I don't think he's ever called Conor "brilliant", just that he was pretty good. Anyone that calls Conor "technically brilliant" this stage of his career is just a fanboy. He's a puncher now with zero head movement. He's regressed quite a bit actually. His offensive boxing is impressive I'll give him that..

I've seen the argument that he's regressed and i'm not sold on it. I see the differences in how he fights but I think that is more that his opponents are at a higher skill level.

You can't just wait around for the flawless stand up performance on Chad Mendes like he's Ivan Buchinger. There are other things going on and pushing the pace for taking some punches is a worthy trade off if it means Mendes forcing Mendes to exchange and use his gas tank.

He absolutely looked as sharp as he ever had against fellow striker Holloway.

hes relying too much on his chin now - that wont last forever

Mendes has nasty power, of course Floyd is a better boxer, just as Mendes is a way better wrestler. So powerful punches with effective striking and god-tier wrestling is one dimensional?

Junior has beastly boxing and legit defensive grappling. That's two things he's great at.

Tonwy vs the well-rounded (but not elite anywhere) Couture is a prime example. If your grappling is too weak an average grappler can easily take advantage. Now, Randy is a good wrestler but only average as a submission grappler yet he had no problems taking down, guard passing, and submitting Toney.

You'll mention Mercer vs Sylvia again, but Tim has no grappling. He uses a long jab to set up his striking, playing right into Mercer's strength.

You also fail to differentiate between a wrestleboxer and a Muay Thai bjj fighter. Both excel against a pure boxer.

Floyd, and boxers in general, are the most one dimensional fighters you will ever find. Sit down, kid.

This is the problem. I guarantee no-one was saying this before Mercer VS Sylvia. Sylvia was gunna smash him - no ifs, buts, or maybe's. Then when it lasts 40 seconds its all "but, but, but......can we do it again please?". U cant make blanket statements & then make excuses when it doesnt go they way you 100% assured everyone it would.

Boxers in general are the most 1 dimensional fighters you will find? Absolutely. Would they still win fights? Absolutely.

I have no idea just how well they'd do. No-one fking does, thats what I've realised. There are people on here with 20,000 posts who have no idea what they're talking about. Remember getting shouted down for saying Nate Diaz would beat Jim Miller & so didnt bet big on a 2/1 shot because I assumed the guy with 10k posts knew what the hell he was talking about. Not making that mistake again.

Like everyone else, I thought boxers were obviously the toughest guys on the planet. Then when I started watching MMA 5yrs ago I went all the way to wall the other way & assumed they'd lose every fight to an MMA guy. Now, I'm somewhere in between.
Apparently Mayweather couldnt win 1 fight in MMA, yet Lesnar came in & WON THE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE FFS!!!.... And please, lets not pretend anyone on sherdog gave him a shot in hell beforehand.

Now, simmer down.....kid.

This is the problem. I guarantee no-one was saying this before Mercer VS Sylvia. Sylvia was gunna smash him - no ifs, buts, or maybe's. Then when it lasts 40 seconds its all "but, but, but......can we do it again please?". U cant make blanket statements & then make excuses when it doesnt go they way you 100% assured everyone it would.

Boxers in general are the most dimensional fighters you will find? Absolutely. Would they still win fights? Absolutely.

I have no idea just how well they'd do. No-one fking does, thats what I've realised. There are people on here with 20,000 posts who have no idea what they're talking about. Remember getting shouted down for saying Nate Diaz would beat Jim Miller & so didnt bet big on a 2/1 shot because I assumed the guy with 10k posts knew what the hell he was talking about. Not making that mistake again.

Like everyone else, I thought boxers were obviously the toughest guys on the planet. Then when I started watching MMA 5yrs ago I went all the way to wall the other way & assumed they'd lose every fight to an MMA guy. Now, I'm somewhere in between.
Apparently Mayweather couldnt win 1 fight in MMA, yet Lesnar came in & WON THE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE FFS!!!.... And please, lets not pretend anyone on sherdog gave him a shot in hell beforehand.

Lol no, most of us had Mercer winning since Tim is a one dimensional striker with less striking acumen.

Lesnar won the title because he's a grappler, able to get into a position to use ground and pound. A wrestler with a strong sub game or strong ground and pound is no longer a one dimensional fighter. Mayweather wouldn't do shit in mma. 135 and 145 are filled with lifelong grapplers. Hell, even Conor who got taken down easily by Mendes has a brown belt in bjj. He was able to scramble and impose his will. How does Mayweather do that? Run away? Lol you are really reaching.

Why you would compare a boxer to Lesnar is beyond me.

Sylvia (24-5 in MMA) is coming off of a humiliating 36-second loss to Fedor Emelianenko last July, and there's one thing Cox is right about in trying to sell this as a legit fight: Mercer may be old, but he's a former Olympic gold medalist and has been boxing his whole life. Sylvia has not.

I'll say right now if this fight actually goes through, Mercer will beat Sylvia. Tim is 6'8" and weighs around 260 pounds, but he's not a boxer.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2009/2/25/772329/ray-mercer-to-fight-former

Boxers in general are the most 1 dimensional fighters you will find? Absolutely. Would they still win fights? Absolutely.

But you don't want to talk about a mediocre Kimbo Slice destroying Mercer? Or James Toney looking like a helpless sack of potatoes against an older Randy Couture?

Smaller gloves also means that it's much harder to defend against punches. People forget that. A lot of what works in boxing defensively will not work in MMA for that reason alone. Freddie Roach himself admitted that when he was working with MMA fighters. That is without even mentioning the threat of takedowns, knees, clinch, kicks etc. When boxers get in to trouble they often hold their opponents to get a break. You try that in MMA and it' over for a boxer. Sylvia was a tailor made match-up for any boxer. Slow, lumbering fighter who won't try to take you down. Ask James Toney about MMA when all aspects are employed. Toney claimed that he would be murdering people with the smaller gloves. He claimed that he would be the first to get a KO from off of his back. He claimed that he would never surrender to a submission. Talk is cheap motherfucker.

Lesnar had an extensive wrestling background. Let's not pretend that didn't play a huge role in his success. How many takedowns has Mayweather ever stuffed? How many submissions has he defended against?

High-level professional boxers who have trained MMA like David Haye have confessed that wrestling is absolutely grueling on your cardio. It weakens your legs and ruins your punching power. How well equipped is Mayweather for handling that?

Last edited:
Conor has a great chin, great hands (angles and power) and ridiculous mental strength/confidence, but that kind of sums up his skill set. His Kicks are slow and telegraphed, and this post summarises well how poor the rest of his game is.

Not to discredit Conor but I think it really proves something I heard Brian Stann once say. He explained that what really separates the elite in MMA is a freakish level of overall durability, so when people only factor in size and skill, they are leaving out a huge factor in what makes an athlete successful in MMA.

As skilled and athletic as Conor is, if he had a glass jaw he would have been knocked cold in several fights now.

He's got a granite chin. That's the only thing saving him right now... he does not have exceptional defense.

Conor has a great chin, great hands (angles and power) and ridiculous mental strength/confidence, but that kind of sums up his skill set. His Kicks are slow and telegraphed, and this post summarises well how poor the rest of his game is.

What the F? No they are not. LOL! Some of his kicks are thrown with no wind-up whatsoever. You are literally making things up. Only his spinning kicks are that way but he still landed on Brandao.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/countdown-to-boston-what-to-watch-out-for-when-conor-mcgregor-meets-dennis-siver/8183

His strikes, especially his kicks, often come with much less wind up than Siver's and that is just one reason why Conor's stand-up gives his opponent far less time to react - a basic tenet of Karate.

His Kicks are slow and telegraphed, and this post summarises well how poor the rest of his game is.

Nope, you just don't know what you're watching out for. His kicks, for the majority, are there to setup his counter striking.

Ps. Those slow & telegraphed kicks contributed heavily to mendes gassing.

I guess a fighter like Machida who backpeddles the whole fight has "exceptional defense". It's far easier to do if you refuse to take risks. There is a big difference between having poor defense and taking calculated risks. Do people even know what rolling with the punches means? It's not just about chin. The Mendes fight was the first time that Conor ever had so much as a scratch on his face and it was from an elbow on the ground. Some of the commentary is embarrassing around here.

Conor has a granite chin, but really bad defense. Guy gets tagged by everyone, Mendes landed the majority he threw, Conor doesn't even flinch tho. He better improve it for LW because if not Pettis is gonna kick his head off.

Pettis struggles when put under extreme pressure it seems to me. Dos Anjos came at him in exactly the same manner I'd imagine Conor would.

I guess a fighter like Machida who backpeddles the whole fight has "exceptional defense". It's far easier to do if you refuse to take risks. There is a big difference between having poor defense and taking calculated risks. Do people even know what rolling with the punches means? It's not just about chin. The Mendes fight was the first time that Conor ever had so much as a scratch on his face and it was from an elbow on the ground. Some of the commentary is embarrassing around here.

Conor doesn't roll with punches. I know you morons like to parrot everything that the fanatics say about him, but no. Anderson Silva is the king of rolling with punches in MMA, he also had the best footwork in MMA for a very long time, along with incredible head movement. That's good defense, son.

Conor's great talent is masking what he's going to do with his kicks or using them to set up the counter striking he's so good at. He's actually a very clever fighter who just happens to be very aggressive as well.

Not sure what he was thinking with that flying knee attempt in the first 10 secs against Mendes though. That's the only thing that struck me as particularly stupid from his performances in the UFC.

Actually according to this thread Machida has terrible defense, since he actually gets hit in his fights.

Conor doesn't roll with punches. I know you morons like to parrot everything that the fanatics say about him, but no. Anderson Silva is the king of rolling with punches in MMA, he also had the best footwork in MMA for a very long time, along with incredible head movement. That's good defense, son.

His eyes rolled when Weidman caught him.

Back