Let us Review Usman's Title Reign for a sec

WW is kinda in a weak period right now. Most the greats have aged out, and the guys left have glaring holes in their game. Burns size and chin, Colby and Usmans stiff and awkward striking, etc. Still though, can't fault the man when he's beating everyone they put in front of him.

how was woodley doing before usman he

also he didn t got ko ed my a midget

We should not even bother looking at Pre UFC stats. Khabibs legacy is great because of his UFC accomplishments.

He fought in the hardest division
He finished all p4p guys
He never lost
He wins by large margin (10-8/finish)
He doesnt get damage at all
He never even lost a round clearly

His tenure was very short in comparison to other GOAT candidates is my point

I love Khabib, love watching him fight, love his style. Just isn't the GOAT, that's all.

And his pre-UFC fights are particularly bad considering the fighters he gets compared to.

WW is kinda in a weak period right now. Most the greats have aged out, and the guys left have glaring holes in their game. Burns size and chin, Colby and Usmans stiff and awkward striking, etc. Still though, can't fault the man when he's beating everyone they put in front of him.

This argument is used all the time. It was used against Silva for MW all the time, and even GSP.

"Nick Diaz has no wrestling"

"Fitch has no striking"

"Shields has no striking"

I think sometimes we lose the value of how talented some fighters are and how they make their division look worse because of it. Khabib included.

His tenure was very short in comparison to other GOAT candidates is my point

I love Khabib, love watching him fight, love his style. Just isn't the GOAT, that's all.

And his pre-UFC fights are particularly bad considering the fighters he gets compared to.

This argument is used all the time. It was used against Silva for MW all the time, and even GSP.

"Nick Diaz has no wrestling"

"Fitch has no striking"

"Shields has no striking"

I think sometimes we lose the value of how talented some fighters are and how they make their division look worse because of it. Khabib included.
I can agree with that to an extent. For instance, it's hard NOT to imagine Khabib doing the same thing to any other 155er in history. With Usman though, I think he would lose rather handily to GSP, prime Hendricks, or prime Lawler.

Gaethje should have never been boosted up on the pfp list. Possibly the worst ground game of any top 10 fighter on the roster.

Where was Dustin on the list when Gaethje was boosted? Because he already beat Gaethje head to head and is universally considered the superior fighter.

Conor was coming off a 2 year layoff as well, hasn’t looked the same since the Floyd fight. His PFP status has been pure marketing for years, he’s not even top 10 at LW for all we know.

Far and away the best win of the three is Dustin.

Masvidal, Burns, and Colby is arguably a better pair. Burns proved once again he can beat the beat WW’s in the world, it’s still dumb how he is still called a LW
when you beat someone on a 12 fight winning streak, you deserve a p4p ranking. even if he's on the tail end of his career, you snapped the streak. That has to be worth something.

The floyd fight is bs narrative. He beat took a round off poirier in the rematch. Conor was still somewhat of an elite fighter. Sure, some tough can could probably beat him if he was matched up, but he was still competitive with a p4p lw for at least one round. Then he got knocked out. Should he be on the list now? Of course not. Was he washed because of Floyd? Of course not. Khabib broke that guy, dustin finished it off.

I wholeheardteldy disagree with your ww pair. I think those guys aren't great fighters. They're good fighters. No one will ever mistake Masvidal, Burns, or colby as best fighters in the world. Usman is only pp4p because its by default. Adesanya should be in front of him but he lost in another weight class.

Had adesanya not faced Jan, he'd still be in front of Usman even with a boring performance from the second vettori fight.

- Hugged and Layed on top of Woodley (who lost all his next fights) for 5 rounds to earn the belt

- Went to a life and death war with Colby and barely managed to win at the last second, stoppage was questionable also.

- Got Journeyman Jorge on a short notice and hugged him for 5 rounds.

- Got LW reject Gllbert Bums who managed to drop him, but it was a decent win.

- Gave Journeyman Jorge another unearned free title shot just so he could pad his record with an extra defense, cool KO though

He's obviously a great fighter and possibly current P4P king, but people are trolling when they compare his reign to Khabib, right? He beat the elite of the elite and made it look effortless. All of Khabib's opponents where ranked in P4P list... Meanwhile Usman is fighting Journeymen.. Not his fault though, current WW is just sad.
We can go through his whole resume. Again, he's a hofer. I don't want to say he isn't but lets go through notable names.

RDA - Not his weight class. He got beat by Michael Chiesa. A former LW journeyman. Not his weightclass.
Demian Maia - 2 fight losing streak coming after challenging for the title. This is the same spot Woodley was in when facing Colby covington for a rematch. By then peopople knew he was on the decline. You can't lose 3 in a row and still be elite. He lost 2 heading into the fight with usman.

Tyron Woodley - Great win

Colby Covington - Good win. Colby is not all time elite.

Gilbert Burns - Good win, snapped his 6 or 7 win streak. But burns isn't an elite fighter. No one ever mistaken him for being one. Look at the quality of wins he got that secured him a title shot. Yesteryear fighters with Woodley coming off 1 loss to cap off the title shot. Woodley was only one fight removed from fighting usman. I'm not saying woodley was shot as a fighter then. I'm just saying he got that shot by beating maia and woodley alone.

Jorge Masvidal twice - Again, journeyman Jorge.

14-0. I mean, it's good. I'd like to have that resume if you told me I could be a fighter. I'd take it. 14-0 in the ufc. However, those are not impressive names. I'm sorry, not in the time Usman fought them.

I give 5-3 gaethje more cred than some of those names because he beat a p4p guy. Even if he caught him on the tail end. Khabib and Tony at one point in time were neck and neck. If Usman had a similar rival but someone beat that rival and usman beat the person who beat the rival, I'd rank that high for usman too but no one in that division is p4p except usman.

Back