Khazmat opens as a -165 favorite over Leon Edwards

Another reminder that his fans are absolutely delusional.

I said schizophrenic because any other thought would be born out of a complete delusion from reality. Edwards should be the favorite. And you did say something about Khamzat's victories that you still haven't explained..

Edward's rank and win streak is overrated, but only in the sense that he definitely did deserve it when he first got it, but has since not progressed while other people are still fighting and winning (arguable, as I list below). Any drop in ranking he should have from where he is right now would only be due to guys winning in his absence.

Why he earned that rank: He's got an 8 fight win streak. He choked out Tumenov who was #14 at the time. (Tumenov had just lost to Gunnar Nelson after a 5 fight win streak). He's Luque's only loss in a string of 11 fights. He didn't beat "the same" Cowboy Conor beat. The Cowboy he beat was more comparable to the Cowboy Till beat. Who was still good enough to knock out Yancy Meideros, Alex Hernandez, tap Perry, and beat Iaquinta, which was good enough to maintain #11 at welterweight. Gunnar was still good enough to tap Oliveira at the time to earn a #13 ranking and to save himself from falling too far after being blinded by Ponz. And the cap of that streak was RDA. Now, I realize RDA fell far since, but really only for losing to top guys. You have to think of where RDA was at the time Edwards beat him. He had moved up to welterweight while still highly ranked at lightweight. RDA went backwards for welterweight opponents, dominating #11 Saffedine, #6 Magny, & #2 Lawler. Think of him as washed or undersized now if you want, but he deserved his position. He fought Colby in a competitive fight for the interim title, then lost to Usman. Literally the two best guys at the weight. Then he rebounds with a welterweight victory of #7 lightweight Kevin Lee. RDA very much deserved to be #4 at the time, so Edwards beating him very much deserved taking the #4 spot from him.

So the question is, since Edwards was #4 since July 2019, what welterweight got a win / streak to surpass him? Covington remained above him for beating Lawler & Woodley. Masvidal remained above him too, by beating Nate Diaz. (Notice how those are opponents who, when looked at with as strict of a magnifying glass as the one you used against Edwards' competition, are also washed and shit). Burns rocketed past him by beating 4 opponents; Kunchenko, Gunnar, Maia, and Woodley. Completely fair. Wonderboy maybe by beating Luque and Neal, but that Showtime knockout was still pretty fresh for people (You know showtime, he's that "tweener" who "aged terribly" using your words). Woodley's on a 3 fight losing streak to Usman, Burns, & Colby. All top dogs, but he's getting embarrassed each time. At least RDA took a few rounds from Colby. Maia's current run over Good, Martin (severely underrated), and Askren, before being derailed by Burns maybe should earn him a spot above Edwards. Chiesa's 3-0 at welterweight with wins over the corpses of Diego and Condit, and then had that win over RDA right after Edwards, so Edwards just CAN'T be behind him.

So where should Edwards be then? #6 or 7 at the worst? Sure, a big problem with WW is it's stagnancy, cuz the people winning don't challenge other winners, and the losers are the guys who actually fight top competitions (RDA, Woodley, Lawler). But you really can't put Edwards any lower than that, and even if that is his new position, putting this fight together with Khamzat is still a fucking sham and he should be favored.

You must be one of the biggest Leon Edwards fans on the planet I guess, nothing else explains the level of mental gymnastics you just went through.

The guy's top 3 wins are against an RDA coming off a 1-2 streak and on a 1-4 streak around the fight, Cowboy coming off a 1-3 streak, and Gunner Nelson or a green Vicente Luque we can revisionist history (5th fight in UFC, Belal Muhammad was his only quality fight to that point).

If you're a fan of his fine, but don't come flying in and call me schizophrenic because of your fucking emotions and shit. Nah bro, Edwards is overrated as fuck. And that's all I really said. Anyone with a brain knows Khazmat hasn't accrued quality wins and is relatively green/unproven, but my entire point was Edwards is too despite some shitty win streak. He's proven nothing.

The guy is ranked 3rd in his division after not fighting for 1.5 years and have ZERO top 10 wins in his division, or another division either.

Name another fighter who has been ranked in the 2-3 elite range in a division with zero fucking top 10 wins, I'll be waiting.

Edit: Excuse me, RDA was ranked comically at 4th when he fought Edwards who was ranked 12th. So somehow Edwards by beating a guy who was 1-2 in his last 3 fights (beating Kevin Lee) jumped from 12th to 3rd and has maintained the ~3rd ranking spot for 1.5 years despite fighting zero times.

Right so this may just be a case of UFC rankings being fucking dogshit, but even then Edwards is clearly overrated as fuck and that's my entire original post you are responding to and I stand by it 100000%. One questionable overrated top 10 win, also a top 5 win, over RDA. 12 to 3.

So if Khazmat beats Edwards is he ranked 3rd? He should be right.

Last edited:
Wow! That’s wild. But, this is Dana’s new guy. I doubt he would have pushed for this fight if he wasn’t confident that Chimaev would beat him.

Why is Leon Edwards supposed to be good again? He has literally beaten no one.
His best wins are over tweener RDA and Cerrone, which has aged terribly. He beat Luque nearly 4 years ago, and outside of that he's beaten Barbaerna and Gunner Nelson? lol?

I think you could argue Edwards was/is as much of a hype job as Khazmat is. At least Khazmat fought a ranked guy at MW and knocked him dead. Leon has more volume of quality wins, sure, but it's not like he's even beaten a top 10 guy...ever. Or I guess Luque is a fringe top 10 guy, who he beat 4 years ago when he probably was fringe top 15.
You say who has Edwards beat while defending a fighter who’s never fought a top 20 opponent lol

RDA was #4 when Leon beat him, and he's also Colby's best win

Right he was technically ranked 4th. An extremely suspect UFC special ranking there considering he was 1-2 in his last 3 fights, and Edwards was ranked 12th while fighting RDA and somehow leapfrogged to 3.

Colby's best win was RDA? Well there's a clear difference here everyone with an IQ over 75 should realize. It's that Colby beat a version of RDA that was coming off a 3 fight win streak over Saffedine, Magny, and Lawler. Then Colby beat him.

Covington has also proven himself by having a very competitive fight with Usman, arguably and imo winning or 2-2 up until the 5th round where he was TKO'd and Usman broke his jaw or whatever happened.

Also I'd disagree. Tyrone Woodley is now over the hill but is criminally underrated and lacks all respect at this point. I'd say that was a better win 'arguably'. Regardless - Woodley, Maia, Lawler - is way better to me than - Green Luque, Gunner, Cowboy for Edwards.

Covington has proven himself. People don't like him or whatever, that's fine. But as a fighter he's proven himself far more than Edwards. And I never said Edwards was bad here, I simply said he is overrated as fuck, which he is. He's ranked 3rd because he beat an RDA coming off a 1-2 stretch. And cause he's British and they need the market probably? There's no other logical explanation.

You say who has Edwards beat while defending a fighter who’s never fought a top 20 opponent lol

Right, so when did I ever say Khazmat Chimaev is a proven fighter with tons of quality wins?

The difference here is that I can accept the UFC sliding Chimaev to 14 on their fake rankings. I actually think that's perfectly fine and not just pure marketing hype.

Where as Leon Edwards is ranked 3rd. He hasn't fought since March 2019 where he beat a "#4 ranked" RDA who was coming off a 1-2 stretch (Lee, Usman, Covington) in the division. So I don't think that justifies catapulting someone from #12 to #3, nor do I think Edwards has proven himself.

If he fought Usman again and had a competitive fight or waxed Masvidal or fought Covington close or beat him or dominated Woodley, or beat Wonderboy even. Then yeah, I'd be saying something different.

The amount of times I see someone go: "This formerly ranked guy wasn't a good win, cuz he's lost his ranking since" and then follow that up immediately with "This currently ranked guy wasn't a good win, cuz he wasn't ranked at the time," never ceases to amaze me.

It's as good as someone literally saying, "Don't listen to me because my reasoning depends on my feelings."
Couldn't agree more. That shit gets old really, really fast.

I'm honestly struggling to understand how exactly a quality poster like yourself finds the motivation to even engage at all with the type of posters that post absolutely nothing of actual substance like you described. I hardly post anything these days myself, so I gotta say, I'm impressed with both your persistence and patience, and also your obvious passion for the sport!

It feels like every time I see a post from you, it's filled with deliberate, well fleshed out arguments that I find myself agreeing with pretty much every single time. Anyway, just wanted to give you some props for being one of the posters that make this forum a place I still come back to time and again.

Just put 200 down on him. Those odds are a steal imo.
Khamzat smashes the guy with ease.

You must be one of the biggest Leon Edwards fans on the planet I guess, nothing else explains the level of mental gymnastics you just went through.
HAHA! Im fucking done, mate. MY mental gymnastics, when ive detailed multiple times the flaws in your logic that you've done nothing to disprove. Whatever you say, bud. AND you've still not mentioned who this make-believe ranked middleweight is that you created for Khamzat. You're really not doing a good job letting people know you live in this world.

If you're a fan of his fine, but don't come flying in and call me schizophrenic because of your fucking emotions and shit. Nah bro, Edwards is overrated as fuck. And that's all I really said.
Talking about being emotional, but someone's been a real salty Sally about that schizo comment, and it's not me.

But here, let me olive branch something. I didn't call you a schizo. I was using the universal "you" just like you were doing. You said, "you could make an argument.." I recognized you weren't specifically meaning i could. So when i said, "you could if.." I meant the same. Relax

HAHA! Im fucking done, mate. MY mental gymnastics, when ive detailed multiple times the flaws in your logic that you've done nothing to disprove. Whatever you say, bud. AND you've still not mentioned who this make-believe ranked middleweight is that you created for Khamzat. You're really not doing a good job letting people know you live in this world.

Talking about being emotional, but someone's been a real salty Sally about that schizo comment, and it's not me.

But here, let me olive branch something. I didn't call you a schizo. I was using the universal "you" just like you were doing. You said, "you could make an argument.." I recognized you weren't specifically meaning i could. So when i said, "you could if.." I meant the same. Relax

You were one billion percent going through olympic level mental gymnastics by talking about Gunner beating a guy ranked #11 in 2016 and then having a close fight...etc. But it's all good, we're arguing excessively and autistically about this. And for the 90th time my entire point is that Edwards is overrated, not that he is bad.

Avatar bet? You seem extremely confident in Edwards, and I'm fine taking Chimaev. So you want to do a bet on the fight? Makes sense right? Idk how long you usually keep it but let's say 1 week, nothing crazy. Deal?

You were one billion percent going through olympic level mental gymnastics by talking about Gunner beating a guy ranked #11 in 2016 and then having a close fight...etc. But it's all good, we're arguing excessively and autistically about this. And for the 90th time my entire point is that Edwards is overrated, not that he is bad.

Avatar bet? You seem extremely confident in Edwards, and I'm fine taking Chimaev. So you want to do a bet on the fight? Makes sense right? Idk how long you usually keep it but let's say 1 week, nothing crazy. Deal?

giphy.gif

Right he was technically ranked 4th. An extremely suspect UFC special ranking there considering he was 1-2 in his last 3 fights, and Edwards was ranked 12th while fighting RDA and somehow leapfrogged to 3.

Colby's best win was RDA? Well there's a clear difference here everyone with an IQ over 75 should realize. It's that Colby beat a version of RDA that was coming off a 3 fight win streak over Saffedine, Magny, and Lawler. Then Colby beat him.

Covington has also proven himself by having a very competitive fight with Usman, arguably and imo winning or 2-2 up until the 5th round where he was TKO'd and Usman broke his jaw or whatever happened.

Also I'd disagree. Tyrone Woodley is now over the hill but is criminally underrated and lacks all respect at this point. I'd say that was a better win 'arguably'. Regardless - Woodley, Maia, Lawler - is way better to me than - Green Luque, Gunner, Cowboy for Edwards.

Covington has proven himself. People don't like him or whatever, that's fine. But as a fighter he's proven himself far more than Edwards. And I never said Edwards was bad here, I simply said he is overrated as fuck, which he is. He's ranked 3rd because he beat an RDA coming off a 1-2 stretch. And cause he's British and they need the market probably? There's no other logical explanation.
Colby also beat Woodley coming off two bad beatdowns, if you're not going to give Leon credit for RDA then Colby certainly doesn't deserve any for Woodley.

Leon also beat RDA more dominantly than Colby did.

-165 for the GOAT future multiple division champ??? Against some guy Masvidal beat up backstage who hasn’t fought in a year?

How do the bookies have it so wrong when Sherdog has it so right?

Is this the easiest best ever? Sherbros will be rich
<GinJuice>

That's what the hype machine will get you.

I expect the odds will shift closer to the fight. Anyone that thinks this will be more than a light round of wrestling for Edwards is seriously confused.

He might win, but MMA oddsmakers do not know SHIT. And it’s a fact of life that the talking heads known as “analysts” are no better at predictions than a coin toss. Be it politics or athletics.
Put your money down where you please, but don’t cry when you lose it. The only people who know less than the analysts are those of us who use them to make decisions.

Back