Karate VS UFC Kid - Took my MMA kid to a Karate tournament.

My son boxes twice a week and sparred a legit 15 rounds last week.. Am I supposed to make a video?

I'm probably taking him out soon because I don't want him getting brain damage, and he has chosen to spar.

Totally with you on boxing sparring. I’m only allowing Rhonin to spar in boxing once a month and no more competing in boxing. It was okay when he was younger but 13 and up... they hit hard and go hard. The boxing gyms are way to aggressive with sparing. It is crazy what those kids do... shertards think I’m bad...

Why does the other kid has a better headgear? Your boy won

Well fathered, Sherbro. How the fook did you do it debt-free though?

When he changed majors to Philosophy, I told him he needed to be the best in the world if he wanted to ever go to grad school or get paid for the degree.

He apparently listened :)

Karate doesn't work and is useless just like kung fu UNLESS you are trained by a kung fu master like Tank Abbott

1394159659-2cz2af8.jpg

Healty getting kicked in the head when you are 9 years old. These kids will grow up to be real rocket scientists.

Honestly I think having your children involved in organizational competition from a young age is a great outlet for them to learn from. My son plays hockey, I’ve got him hitting the bag, but the wife thinks he’s still to young for martial arts (6yo). I’m sure there’s going to be detractors here for your parenting decisions, but if your boy truly loves training and the competition... more power to you, good luck to your family Sherbro.

Well don't know how I feel seeing minors compete in full contact Karate or other full contact sports involving head trauma...
Better let him compete in point-karate and grappling to sharpen his movement and skill as long as he's still developing.

People are so miserable these days..sheesh.

Man they were going at it and there are some skills there.

Thanks for sharing this.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume this kids mom wasn't around when he got his name placed on the birth certificate

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume this kids mom wasn't around when he got his name placed on the birth certificate
Haha no doubt... but she is all in now that he is champ. She is his main sparring partner. I don’t know if he would be so good without her and him going at it everyday in the gym.

Totally with you on boxing sparring. I’m only allowing Rhonin to spar in boxing once a month and no more competing in boxing. It was okay when he was younger but 13 and up... they hit hard and go hard. The boxing gyms are way to aggressive with sparing. It is crazy what those kids do... shertards think I’m bad...

Sparring in boxing gyms shouldn’t really be called sparring.

It’s a fight with bigger gloves, basically. Shits ridiculous.

Your kid can definitely scrap. I would be careful with that shit though, and monitor how much sparring he’s doing when it comes to striking sports for obvious reasons.

One of the biggest eye openers for me was going from a boxing background into Muay Thai. The difference in sparring was unreal. Boxing sparring was just an all out war with broken noses and knockouts being a frequent occurrence, even in headgear. Muay Thai sparring on the other hand, was rarely done above about 50%.

The interesting thing was both methods produced brilliant fighters, but I know which sparring method I would rather have my non-existent son partake in.

Dang, those kids are JUST BLEED fans. Props to them and they are throwing nice kick/punches. I bet they can beat the shit out of all their classmates.

Also throwing better punches than 99% of WMMA fighters in UFC.

weird replies to this thread......

alot of you are nancying it up over padded kids throwing down...how would you feel about kids playing football or hockey or motorsports?

ever seen someone get crushed headfirst into the boards from behind in hockey? or a kid quarterback get absolutely leveled by some massive further along in puberty other kid?

the kids are padded up, precautions have been taken...theyre good to go

how do you think you build superstars if you dont start them in a sport early? how can someone learn to Not get injured if they start out jumping into the deep end of a contact sport without the slow build up to it?

my kid is training for Youth MMA nationals (Apex Center). Then headed to worlds Rome, Italy (event sponsored by UFC). He needs some competition experience so it took him to a karate tournament. He did good. Karate guys are legit competition. Who do you think won tho?

better competition than during many UFCs
still shit though

Sparring in boxing gyms shouldn’t really be called sparring.

It’s a fight with bigger gloves, basically. Shits ridiculous.

Your kid can definitely scrap. I would be careful with that shit though, and monitor how much sparring he’s doing when it comes to striking sports for obvious reasons.

One of the biggest eye openers for me was going from a boxing background into Muay Thai. The difference in sparring was unreal. Boxing sparring was just an all out war with broken noses and knockouts being a frequent occurrence, even in headgear. Muay Thai sparring on the other hand, was rarely done above about 50%.

The interesting thing was both methods produced brilliant fighters, but I know which sparring method I would rather have my non-existent son partake in.

Exactly what I’ve seen. Both methods produce great fighters. Why spar all the time. In boxing they made one kid put his foot in a tire. Then all the other kids (10+ kids) lined up one by one put there foot in the tire and beat the one kid up. After one kid beat him up they would stand next to him and cheer. So you had kids beating on him and the other kids cheering him on not to give up. Rhonin did it and was fine with it but It was one of my lowest points in watching him train. We didn’t go back to that gym after that. They make good boxers over there tho.

but having a Muay Thai base and sparing 50% for years makes me wonder wtf those boxing gyms are thinking sometimes.

When he changed majors to Philosophy, I told him he needed to be the best in the world if he wanted to ever go to grad school or get paid for the degree.

He apparently listened :)

Philosophy major here, almost went that same route but the prospects of finding a good paying job as a professor is tough at least in Wisconsin. State schools the profs only make like 40K a year and I had higher aspirations than that. Ended up getting my philosophy degree but going into business/management as a career. Making good money now so it worked out. Philosophy is an underrated degree imo.

I hate kids but if i cared about them i wouldn't have them training MMA at such a young age.

We still don't know about the long term effects of CTE because mma's only existed around 30 years.

Back