Karate VS UFC Kid - Took my MMA kid to a Karate tournament.

As a former amateur & professional boxer, former pro kickboxer & a black belt in both kickboxing & Kajukenbo Kempo, I've been around martial arts & combat sports since just shortly after my 13th birthday. I got my start in Isshin Ryu Karate which had a lot of hard contact in sparring but no headshots were allowed. Which toughened me up physically & mentally & more than prepared me for my switch to Tae Kwon Do at 15. Where there was, even more, sparring in class but it was all pitty-pat stuff & I was frequently admonished for being too aggressive & using excessive contact. Even some of the adults didn't like to spar with me. I stuck with TKD for about two years until I failed my red belt test for forgetting an advanced pumsae in the middle of my test which embarrassed me & made me realize that I no longer wanted to be wasting my time on TKD or other TMA. So, I found a local boxing gym & it changed my life.
I learned the fundamentals quickly & was put into hard sparring pretty quickly but by then I was 17 & I although I had to get rid of a lot of bad habits first I had my first amateur fight after only two months in the gym. I won but it was a war & if I'd had my druthers I'd have waited another month or two before fighting but that's how it was done back then. The thought was that you only got better by fighting as often as possible whether it was sparring in the gym or fighting in the arena.
So, after close to 50 amateur fights I was ready to turn pro because I wasn't your classic amateur boxer looking to outpoint my opponent. I was a walk-in banger & a brawler which meant that I wasn't going to win any major amateur tournaments so since I fought like a pro I turned pro. And it was while doing so that I switched my training to a different gym. One with a lot more pros in it & it was a hybrid boxing/kickboxing gym so while preparing for my pro boxing bouts I also cross-trained in kickboxing & within a year I earned my black belt.
I also learned different methods of training as well. That conditioned just as well as hard sparring did but put fewer miles on the odometer. Whereas as an amateur I might do four to six rounds of hard sparring a day at my new gym with my new trainers I'd spar sometimes eight or ten rounds every other day but it would all be bodywork only. Then the following week we'd add just jabs to it. No power shots except to the body. Until it was closer to fight time then we'd full-on spar but for only four rounds at a time. Which went against the grain of accepted practice at the time but it worked well for me.
Of course, later on in my career, I negated a lot of that when I was hired as a sparring partner for champions & top contenders who sparred full-on much more often & at much more intense levels but it was my job so I had to do what I had to do. But IMO that's where most of the damage that I absorbed occurred was during those training camps.
But I'd do it all over again if I could with the exception that I might have fought a bit more defensively at times rather than getting into exchanges as often as I did.

So, with all this experience what would I tell @Irresponsible Dad regarding his son?
Pretty much what many of the others have suggested thus far. To go easy on the amount of hard sparring that he does at this age. There's no reason for him to be taking any unnecessary shots. So, if you see that he'd stunned or hurt stop the sparring/fight & let him recover from it & learn from it. There's always a next time. Especially at his age.
Plus I'd switch things up to grappling for a while so he doesn't get burned out on striking. Balance things out.
I'd definitely give him some amateur boxing experience if he plans to pursue MMA at a high level but I wouldn't put him in the ring until he 15 or 16 years old.

great advice! Thank you so much. He will read this for sure. Good luck brother!

Your kids a beast but imo he should have caught that leg from karate kid and pulled it to the side so karate kid is turned around and he could get a few shots in. I'm probably explaining it in a fucky way but it's what Jorge did to Cowboy to knock him down.

This is good stuff TS. Quit listening to whiney shercouch potatoes about letting your kid fight. It's great going semi (hard) contact at that age. He'll be ready to whip ass of any bully that steps to him in high school.

That's how we trained and sparred at that age and i went to college, got two degrees, and now own two businesses. I felt like nothing could stop me because i had confidence from being in scraps like that.

Some of these women replying need to go back to mumsnet.

Flame on pussies.
Hell ya brother! Thanks.

Teenage you sounds wiser than most. What style were you training in?

Some small local style called Shim Bu Kai or something. I don't think it was a very traditional style though, because I remember there was another dojo in the same town where they weren't allowed to practice punches to face or some shit, meanwhile, we were doing all the stuff you'd expect from karate, but also learning things like thai clinches, elbows, knees and some grappling.

lmao if you think this is worse than what midwestern wrestlers go through at that age, go outside more.

good stuff from the kid, but if one day he tells you he really doesn’t wanna do it, listen to him.
Right. Or even football players. I did both and i took worse hits than anything here. People are just soft pussies on the dog

romero would annihilate him, tell him to sign the contract

My man, any travel level wrestler would toss this kid on his head. Wrestling is the best base if your goal is to be competitive in mma. If @Irresponsible Dad wants to be responsible he would get him into serious wrestling and train boxing and BJJ on the side at an mma gym. Aaron pico is honestly the best blue print for mma training as a kid , only problem is he refuses to use his wrestling and was thrown to the wolves

Defend your thread ts. Sherdog smells blood.
8NpvbtDue3pt8ER7xdk5ErPLlzSDzuEHxrhHOaVsDdvPhsTldPveMAny26tmpX7lQZ6hySp_Upz8Ul7IibXDXh74OlTvThm1HYkmIebGziAG5kbfgdRUHao3RCc

Kid would be a legend if he trained with Edmond T and learned the tried and trued art of HEAD MOVEMENT!

I think the worst part of all this is this dad lets his 12 year old read sherdog

He’ll stand and bang and he’ll sprawl n brawl!

good work, TS! May JBG smile upon your family!

Pico.jpg
Arron pico in USFL:

My man, any travel level wrestler would toss this kid on his head. Wrestling is the best base if your goal is to be competitive in mma. If @Irresponsible Dad wants to be responsible he would get him into serious wrestling and train boxing and BJJ on the side at an mma gym. Aaron pico is honestly the best blue print for mma training as a kid , only problem is he refuses to use his wrestling and was thrown to the wolves

He is a travel wrestler. Third at states (MD). Does Greco and freestyle. He was second at kids pans (worlds IBJJF) in BJJ. Won states in boxing silver gloves got second place in regional silver gloves. And is the National mma 97# champion for USFL the organization Arron pico fought in as a kid.

he is following the Arron pico blueprint to a tee. Sooo.. good advice brother. We are on it.

Arron pico in USFL:

Back