Karate VS UFC Kid - Took my MMA kid to a Karate tournament.

Man is this ever true..

At about 14 my son worked up the nerve to tell me he really wasn't interested in the sports he was doing and I was coaching... I asked him: "Well what do you want to do?"

He is now a professor who graduated with his doctorate (debt free)

As long as you are still doing things together it's a win.

Not a hit on TS who is clearly having a blast with his son.. Well done Bro.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with preferring academics over sports. Sports are important for learning actually how to work out and stay healthy, but when it comes to reliably having job opportunities, academics is unmatched. I'd say your son made the right decision.

Karate doesn't work and is useless just like kung fu UNLESS you are trained by a kung fu master like Tank Abbott

1394159659-2cz2af8.jpg
<TheWire1>

What second Video do people keep referring to?
{<huh}

Philosophy major here, almost went that same route but the prospects of finding a good paying job as a professor is tough at least in Wisconsin. State schools the profs only make like 40K a year and I had higher aspirations than that. Ended up getting my philosophy degree but going into business/management as a career. Making good money now so it worked out. Philosophy is an underrated degree imo.

Interesting... Jr. got his undergrad at Beloit College...

I taught in the Wisconsin Tech college system for ten years and found the pay outstanding!!! Scott Walker has done some damage but I know lots of WI teachers still clearing over 100K.... Wont see that in the South.

Yer right about philosophers being underrated... Lawyers hire philosophers to sort contract language on major stuff... nobody can weave or unweave language like philosophers.

my kid is training for Youth MMA nationals (Apex Center). Then headed to worlds Rome, Italy (event sponsored by UFC). He needs some competition experience so it took him to a karate tournament. He did good. Karate guys are legit competition. Who do you think won tho?

Yikes . Too young to be taking shots to the head.

Oh man. I was expecting point-fighting sport karate. Light contact.

Those kids are getting after it, jeez.

Yeah, there's so many different types of rules and levels of contact in Karate that it can end up being pretty fucked.

I remember when I was like 14 and a white/yellow belt, It was fully contact, but you were expected to not throw 100% kill shots. Then you got a few belts up to like brown and it was okay.

But then I"d wait around and watch the full contact black belt karate guys fight, and these dudes were just sparking each other cold in the first exchanges non stop. It was nuts. Really made teenage me wonder if trying to get to that level was really a good idea. Fuck brain damage.

<TheWire1>
Username fits user.

Aren't you worried about permanent damage?
Don't you feel you are living through him and he is gonna hate you for that at some point when he leaves MMA at 22 to work in a grow shop?

heh.. I had him read all the comments. Here’s his semi coached response. Yup your right sherbros. Cte in full effect can’t even remember what to say!

Yeah, there's so many different types of rules and levels of contact in Karate that it can end up being pretty fucked.

I remember when I was like 14 and a white/yellow belt, It was fully contact, but you were expected to not throw 100% kill shots. Then you got a few belts up to like brown and it was okay.

But then I"d wait around and watch the full contact black belt karate guys fight, and these dudes were just sparking each other cold in the first exchanges non stop. It was nuts. Really made teenage me wonder if trying to get to that level was really a good idea. Fuck brain damage.

Teenage you sounds wiser than most. What style were you training in?

I hate kids but if i cared about them i wouldn't have them training MMA at such a young age.

We still don't know about the long term effects of CTE because mma's only existed around 30 years.

Well I'd say it's safe to say any sport with the potential of head trauma will cause CTE. Look at football or boxing both of which has been around for over a hundred years. The fact is that children are still growing, physically and mentally, does anyone think throwing in some concussions during that time will be good for the person in the long run?

You idiots acting like 9 year olds wearing headgear are going to concuss each other <45>

Had the MMA Kid winning. Karate kid had all the advantages like Armor, helmet and size.
Karate Kid still lost

heh.. I had him read all the comments. Here’s his semi coached response. Yup your right sherbros. Cte in full effect can’t even remember what to say!

Shit man, I wanted to drop praise for making sure the kid is active and being there to support and all that. But fuck. They are landing pretty hard shots on each other.

I have to say your kid throws a mean right hand. But what happens when someone throws a meaner right hand and he doesn't see it?

I mean even those shots that are just jerking the head around in the headgear/helmet. We've learned enough at this point to know you don't have to be KOd to take the brain damage. Just all those shots rattling the brain, especially while it's still developing.

I really want to see something other than child abuse, but I can't.

Yeah see he’s already stuttering and lots of “uhs...”, he’s basically a 12 year old Chuck Liddell

That was like watching arena football. Can we get some defense?

I thought the Karate kid won because he stayed at the end of MMA kid's punches. MMA kid needs to stop throwing that thing that kind of resembles a right hook in competition until it actually is a right hook. And use footwork to get in range instead of flailing his way in. I'm guessing the rules didn't allow for takedowns, because I think MMA kid would have won handily if so.

Neither of the kids looked very athletic for 12, MMA kid doesn't look very big, and I think good, big, athletic wrestlers their age would likely Dan Severn either one.

Last edited:
As a former amateur & professional boxer, former pro kickboxer & a black belt in both kickboxing & Kajukenbo Kempo, I've been around martial arts & combat sports since just shortly after my 13th birthday. I got my start in Isshin Ryu Karate which had a lot of hard contact in sparring but no headshots were allowed. Which toughened me up physically & mentally & more than prepared me for my switch to Tae Kwon Do at 15. Where there was, even more, sparring in class but it was all pitty-pat stuff & I was frequently admonished for being too aggressive & using excessive contact. Even some of the adults didn't like to spar with me. I stuck with TKD for about two years until I failed my red belt test for forgetting an advanced pumsae in the middle of my test which embarrassed me & made me realize that I no longer wanted to be wasting my time on TKD or other TMA. So, I found a local boxing gym & it changed my life.
I learned the fundamentals quickly & was put into hard sparring pretty quickly but by then I was 17 & I although I had to get rid of a lot of bad habits first I had my first amateur fight after only two months in the gym. I won but it was a war & if I'd had my druthers I'd have waited another month or two before fighting but that's how it was done back then. The thought was that you only got better by fighting as often as possible whether it was sparring in the gym or fighting in the arena.
So, after close to 50 amateur fights I was ready to turn pro because I wasn't your classic amateur boxer looking to outpoint my opponent. I was a walk-in banger & a brawler which meant that I wasn't going to win any major amateur tournaments so since I fought like a pro I turned pro. And it was while doing so that I switched my training to a different gym. One with a lot more pros in it & it was a hybrid boxing/kickboxing gym so while preparing for my pro boxing bouts I also cross-trained in kickboxing & within a year I earned my black belt.
I also learned different methods of training as well. That conditioned just as well as hard sparring did but put fewer miles on the odometer. Whereas as an amateur I might do four to six rounds of hard sparring a day at my new gym with my new trainers I'd spar sometimes eight or ten rounds every other day but it would all be bodywork only. Then the following week we'd add just jabs to it. No power shots except to the body. Until it was closer to fight time then we'd full-on spar but for only four rounds at a time. Which went against the grain of accepted practice at the time but it worked well for me.
Of course, later on in my career, I negated a lot of that when I was hired as a sparring partner for champions & top contenders who sparred full-on much more often & at much more intense levels but it was my job so I had to do what I had to do. But IMO that's where most of the damage that I absorbed occurred was during those training camps.
But I'd do it all over again if I could with the exception that I might have fought a bit more defensively at times rather than getting into exchanges as often as I did.

So, with all this experience what would I tell @Irresponsible Dad regarding his son?
Pretty much what many of the others have suggested thus far. To go easy on the amount of hard sparring that he does at this age. There's no reason for him to be taking any unnecessary shots. So, if you see that he'd stunned or hurt stop the sparring/fight & let him recover from it & learn from it. There's always a next time. Especially at his age.
Plus I'd switch things up to grappling for a while so he doesn't get burned out on striking. Balance things out.
I'd definitely give him some amateur boxing experience if he plans to pursue MMA at a high level but I wouldn't put him in the ring until he 15 or 16 years old.

Back