Karate VS UFC Kid - Took my MMA kid to a Karate tournament.

I think good for your kid having the heart to scrap, and take care of himself in a fight if he needs to.
I also think he's a kid and shouldn't be getting such a head start on the head trauma.
/thread

Get him into wrestling instead of tae bo nonsense if you actually want him to be good at mma

This is good stuff TS. Quit listening to whiney shercouch potatoes about letting your kid fight. It's great going semi (hard) contact at that age. He'll be ready to whip ass of any bully that steps to him in high school.

That's how we trained and sparred at that age and i went to college, got two degrees, and now own two businesses. I felt like nothing could stop me because i had confidence from being in scraps like that.

Some of these women replying need to go back to mumsnet.

Flame on pussies.

The first video shows the Karate Kid wearing a full mask. That's truly unfair and he would be basically fearless when he fights with that mask and extra padding on. Your kid did really well considering that was not a fair fight.

I actually thought the mma kid won the karate kid was fully padded up the mma kid just had the head gear which kind of seem somewhat unfair either they both wear chest protectors or don't. When they clinched the ref broke them up, doesn't the mma kid get a chance to score a td a official mma move? The mma kid was catching kicks & countering. The Karate kid did look more active but I thought the mma kid was more effective with his fighting...

l
good stuff from the kid, but if one day he tells you he really doesn’t wanna do it, listen to him.

Man is this ever true..

At about 14 my son worked up the nerve to tell me he really wasn't interested in the sports he was doing and I was coaching... I asked him: "Well what do you want to do?"

He is now a professor who graduated with his doctorate (debt free)

As long as you are still doing things together it's a win.

Not a hit on TS who is clearly having a blast with his son.. Well done Bro.

Apparently head movement and defense is banned on this tournament

Man is this ever true..

At about 14 my son worked up the nerve to tell me he really wasn't interested in the sports he was doing and I was coaching... I asked him: "Well what do you want to do?"

the Hogwarts Phd doesn't count in the real world

upload_2020-1-29_9-22-28.jpeg

Karate doesn't work and is useless just like kung fu UNLESS you are trained by a kung fu master like Tank Abbott

1394159659-2cz2af8.jpg

Not sure how I'd feel about my kid's brain, which is well away from being fully developed at that age, taking that many shots.

Man is this ever true..

Well fathered, Sherbro. How the fook did you do it debt-free though?

my kid is training for Youth MMA nationals (Apex Center). Then headed to worlds Rome, Italy (event sponsored by UFC). He needs some competition experience so it took him to a karate tournament. He did good. Karate guys are legit competition. Who do you think won tho?

You sound like an irresponsible dad.

Some of these responses are a mess. No one is judged more quickly and less wisely in our society than parents.

Don't really care who won. The amount of padding on both kids prevents any sort of need for defense and proper technique. Both are overly aggressive since the consequences for their aggression is minimal to non-existent. Obviously the padding is required since they are kids but other than how to wing hooks and round houses hard I'm not sure what either gets out of this gigantic cluster fuck of a contest. Youth and HS wrestling mixed with some very very light sparring (shadow boxing almost) is the path I took with my son. Wrestling taught him consequences for being overly aggressive particularly since the team may be depending on him in a dual match scenario and maybe you already have your son in wrestling. This looks dumb, really dumb however there is no doubt both kids are tough and in it to win it. Keep in mind my favorite saying is that if a MMA fighter's best attribute is toughness (or aggression) that is just a nice way of saying the fighter is a quality punching bag.

My son boxes twice a week and sparred a legit 15 rounds last week.. Am I supposed to make a video?

I'm probably taking him out soon because I don't want him getting brain damage, and he has chosen to spar.
Why? He will be brain damaged. Get him out and let him do wrasslin or jitsu until he comes of age and understands the risks of getting hit in the head.

Back