Karate VS UFC Kid - Took my MMA kid to a Karate tournament.

Kids cancer and diabetes cases increased, yes.

Reading yes, I know plenty of cases when ppl started read more in uni and after few years started to use glasses or contact lenses. High School students, the same story.

Not sure why this seems controversial to you, but this is from the myopia institute:
i simply asked for a citation because up until now you were doing the exact thing you were criticizing people for about CTE.

but also what are the actual rates of effect on kids?
simply going off of that little bit you quoted (an actual link would have been nice to get the full context) 1st world nations are all doomed to be made up primarily of people with bad eyesight in a few more decades...unless the rate of effect isn't all that high, similar to CTE...

i simply asked for a citation because up until now you were doing the exact thing you were criticizing people for about CTE.

simply going off of that little bit you quoted (an actual link would have been nice to get the full context) 1st world nations are all doomed to be made up primarily of people with bad eyesight in a few more decades...unless the rate of effect isn't all that high, similar to CTE...
I have better eyesight at 34 than I had at 25. Guess why, and it's not masturbation, or you would have been blind years ago.

Also, I guess you don't game much, because every hardcore gamer plays until their eyes nearly bleed.

my kid, Rhonin Swenson, is training for Youth MMA nationals (Apex Center). Then headed to worlds Rome, Italy (event sponsored by UFC). He needs some competition experience so it took him to a karate tournament. He did good. Karate guys are legit competition. Who do you think won tho?

heh.. I had him read all the comments. Here’s his semi coached response. Yup your right sherbros. Cte in full effect can’t even remember what to say

Not really fair when the other guy has a full suit of armor

Eh, you're doing a bit of strawman here. For one thing the use of screens isnt a small percent of the population in higher than 3rd world Nations, it's pretty much globally spread. What I said was I noticed an uptick in kids having significant eye problems, worse eyes than someone who has had bad eyes already since years before they were even born. And keep in mind that in my profession eyesight is a huge issue. You can't see well enough, you can't fight. You mentioned genetics, however if it IS genetics it's likely epigenetics, which are heavily influenced by environment. Why suddenly would more kids be nearsighted? What advantage would that give? Genetics dont purposely deconstruct something like eyesight unless it's an adaptation. Why would kids need to only have good enough eyesight to see something close to their face? When I talk to these kids, they also tell me that their optometrists dont recommend them reading without their glasses, or taking their glasses off and going outside. In other words they dont do much of anything that strengthens their eyes, and they do much more of what is very likely weakening them. It makes sense. But there's plenty of these out there:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/screen-time-hurts-more-than-kids-eyes-101215#1

My comment about CTE and people assuming all kids who compete in combat sports will be brain damaged had more to do with people's absolute certainty that any participation in combat sports ASSURES brain damage, but there's many confounding factors. I never debated that the risk is higher, because it is definitely higher. I pointed out that the certainty of CTE lies in a much more beloved American Sport than boxing, one which more kids participate in. So I wasnt even arguing that kids being at risk for it wasnt an issue, just that the stigma is misplaced.

Back