Just make Rousey vs Cyborg at 135, doesn't matter if she doesn't make weight...

Make the fight for 135 but if Cyborg doesn't make weight then just go ahead and let them fight for a non title fight.

Then if Ronda backs out again and she would it will be hilarious and would look really bad in the public eye.

You realize that her opponent has the choice to fight if she doesn't make weight? I feel like with the history of this fight, Ronda would say no if Cyborg missed weight. The UFC would probably even be prepared for this by having Tate or another suitable alternate fighting on the same card.

And also given the history of this fight, I don't think Ronda would catch a lot of negative media attention for saying no; I think most of the negative attention would shift toward Cyborg for not making weight, and any chance of the fight actually happening would further diminish.

I don't agree with that at all. I think it would make Ronda look like a duck and it would confirm that again.

Well... we get to see who has a total lack of ethics here at Sherdog.

And lets make it a no rules match too.

So for the first time in history a champ has to defend the belt against an opponent who has not made the weight limit for said championship. What is the point of that. Its not about legacy its about having a contender who may have a chance of winning the belt.

How is it nonsensical that a fighter fight heavier competition, when he CLAIMS HIMSELF that he's the greatest and can beat this heavier competition? To me this situation is almost like Mayweather ducking Pacquiao (because of his talent of course...it's not the quintessential example either).

Yeah, because they did not make Lesnar make the HW limit. Only fools think weight is an issue, it's not. Cyborg has a long history of cheating in order to stack the odds in her favor, that is all this is about, Cyborg not wanting a fair fight, but wanting to make it as unfair as possible in her favor, and fools like you who hate Ronda love that idea.

I don't agree with that at all. I think it would make Ronda look like a duck and it would confirm that again.

It would make the multiple fight cheater Cyborg look like she's still cheating, and confirm she's a disgusting excuse for a human being and exactly not what MMA needs.

A fighter would have to be insane to agree to a fight at a set weight and let their opponent get away with a significant weight advantage.

Everyone is basing the discussion on Cyborg missing by a few pounds, but what if she comes in at 143? 145? Or 150+? Cyborg already missed a previous fight at 145 by 6 pounds. If Cyborg comes in at 155 and Rousey comes in at 135 would you still expect her to do the fight? How would that be a fair fight?

So here's the problem with catch weights. If Cyborg comes in 5 pounds heavy would you still expect Rousey to do the fight? What about 7 pounds over? 10 pounds over? 13 pounds over?

Let's say they do 140 and Cyborg comes in at 148, 153 or 158?

The reason Cyborg has to make the weight ONE time at 135 is so that you know that she's not going to try to game the system and come in WAY over weight. There's just way too much on the line to let Cyborg promise 135, miss weight by a ton and put Rousey and the UFC in the position of having to either cancel the fight or take the fight at a big disadvantage.

Cyborg and her camp said she can make 135. They signed a contract that said they can make 135. So prove it. Prove it ONE time and she'll make more money in ONE fight than she'll likely make for her entire working life.

It really is quite reasonable.

Cyborg should be required to show up to weigh ins with a face that looks like a women's face.

Lets be honest....... Cyborg's face looks like she has spent years doing something that makes it .............................................

Whatever.

No, No, no.

Cyborg needs to prove she can make 135 by having at least one fight there and making weight. Otherwise she'll just come in at 140 or 145 to have the advantage even if it costs her money and a shot at the title.

Luckily the UFC is smart enough not to fall into such a dumb trap. She makes weight or she gets replaced and it will be a UFC requirement. They can take the fall and say they made Ronda fight someone else that can actually make weight.

Right now they want Cyborg to prove she can make the weight, then they'll talk. Which is how it should be.

Yeah when she can call out Gina instead.

She never called out Gina, she was asked if she would fight Gina and she said yes.

"To fight her would be a real honor and I think that'd be a milestone for the sport. But, I mean, you can't fight for anyone but yourself. I wouldn't want her to fight for any other reason than if she wants to fight. It's a personal decision for everyone."

Thats sure a call out..

To prove she really is the best Ronda need to beat Cyborg because?
Is Cyborg the best female fighters?
If you says please tell me what wins makes Cyborg better than Ronda.
Because its not based on Cyborgs record.

Ronda doesn't need this fight at all. She is already on most P4P list without Cyborg.

Ronda doesn't need this fight at all. She is already on most P4P list without Cyborg.

Ronda haters need this fight.

Cyborg needs to be given $5 million, no weight cut, allowed to use steroids, and Ronda is not allowed to grapple. Otherwise Ronda is ducking.

We constantly want great fighters to go up a weightclass to prove their greatness.

WMMA has two weightclasses, the top of which is probably the female version of middleweight. Literally half the population can't even play, if they wanted to.

Its dufferunt.

not really... there are virtually no women fighting above 135. Take a look at the rankings at 145, there is hardly anybody. The 135 class would be more equivalent to a 225 class (if it existed) in men's MMA.

Honda makes the shot though, it's cyborg's fault if she cannot make weight

cyborg claims she doesnt care about the belt, just wants to beat Ronda.
It would be funny if she took the fight at 135, missed weight by a lot and had to put Ronda in a situation where she

You are acting like Ronda came out of the blue and asked for a Gina fight, and wasn't just responding to a question in an interview

Yeah and she readily admit to wanting to fight Gina at catchweight. Yup the same Gina who has been making movies for the past 5 years. Hmmm...wonder why that is.

they dont want that fight unless they can get an advantage - they as in the ufc and ronda - would be a disaster for wmma generally if ronda lost - the fight would have been made a long time ago if what i said isnt true

We constantly want great fighters to go up a weightclass to prove their greatness.

Actually fighters going up in weight is a boxing tradition. In grappling it almost never happens. Satiev for instance, often called the greatest freestyle wrestler ever, won 3 Olympic gold medals and 6 world championship gold medals, all at the same weight. No one ever said he should go up in weight for the next Olympics to "prove his greatness."

Same for Masae Ueno, the woman who won gold in Rousey's weight division in judo (she won it twice, and two world championship gold - she was better than Rousey on the ground and on her feet). She's famous as a dominant champ, and no one ever suggested she go up in weight for the next Olympics for a challenge.

And you can go through a long list of wrestlers and judoka, who stay in the same weight class from Olympics to Olympics, never going up in weight, and who are revered in wrestling and judo.

So ask yourself, why should Rousey follow the boxing tradition of going up in weight, instead of the grappling tradition of staying in your weight, given that her background is grappling? Especially since pure grappling beats pure striking more times than not - wouldn't it make sense to follow the tradition of the more effective background sport?

And I note that if going up in weight is the point and a lack of organized weight divisions isn't an issue (ie it doesn't matter that the UFC has no 145 pound division), then shouldn't Cyborg be arranging fights at 155 to challenge herself, instead of wanting to fight a smaller fighter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back