Just make Rousey vs Cyborg at 135, doesn't matter if she doesn't make weight...

BonesNose**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
...it will be an exhibition match-up, but at least the fight would happen, the fight would be at 135 so even if Cyborg won they wouldn't need to create a new category. This seems like the solution, other than Ronda finally agreeing the catch-weight (instead of pretending she can beat any men) or instead of seeing Ronda leave the UFC.

The UFC and Ronda seem to believe she cannot lose anyway, why duck this solution?

Ronda needs to demand to fight cyborg at any weight

to prove she is the best ever

You will get attacked by the Rousey fanatics, but you are not wrong.

You will get attacked by the Rousey fanatics, but you are not wrong.

They could even be open to Cyborg about it, and grant her a contract with a good enough pay to make up for the lack of belt-possibility and money-loss due to not making weight.

...it will be an exhibition match-up, but at least the fight would happen, the fight would be at 135 so even if Cyborg won they wouldn't need to create a new category. This seems like the solution, other than Ronda finally agreeing the catch-weight (instead of pretending she can beat any men) or instead of seeing Ronda leave the UFC.

The UFC and Ronda seem to believe she cannot lose anyway, why duck this solution?

It would make sense. Every other fighter has still taken the fight where the other fighter missed weight. However, unlike what they've said and you've just said, Ronda and the UFC DON'T think its an easy win, and she would NOT accept a fight if Cyborg came in at, say, 138. They'd act like this is the first time someone's not made weight, just like they act like Cyborg is the first fighter to ever fail a test - and 80% of Sherrdiggady, and 99% of the world would eat it up like they were the back end of a human caterpillar.

Ronda can't lose, dawg. She wins, even if she doesn't fight. We gotta just accept it and focus on other fights.

I don't get it. Isn't that exactly what has been offered to Cyborg, repeatedly, these last 2 years?

They could even be open to Cyborg about it, and grant her a contract with a good enough pay to make up for the lack of belt-possibility and money-loss due to not making weight.

Yep.
It really isn't as complicated as the criers make it.

Ronda and the UFC DON'T think its an easy win,

I agree with this, but I meant that's what they try to make it seem publicly, so if it's really their stance then they should JUMP on the solution I proposed...was pointing out at the hypocrisy when I said "why duck the solution".

I don't get it. Isn't that exactly what has been offered to Cyborg, repeatedly, these last 2 years?

Not if she misses weight. She'll be the whipping post of the MMA world.

Ive always liked your av. Big fan of the Lizard King back in my youth.

Yes, but it seems like the reason against it is always "she wont make weight", so if she wont, then let's do this work-around. Make it explicit between her and the UFC, it might change things. With a renegotiation of the contract pay of course. Let's be honest, Dana knows she can't really make 135, it'd be bad for her and probably make the match-up pointless.

I agree with this, but I meant that's what they try to make it seem publicly, so if it's really their stance then they should JUMP on the solution I proposed...was pointing out at the hypocrisy when I said "why duck the solution".

No, I know where you were coming from. We've got the same stance. Ronda and Zuffa have the most hypocritical claims in the history of organized sport.

When Michael Johnson and the US media acted like Donovan Bailey wasn't the fastest man on earth for winning the race that always laid claim to that title, and argued that dividing his 200 time by 2 (ya, starts slow you down) made him the fastest, and then had them do a 150, where he pulled up half way through while getting his ass kicked due to an 'injury'..... well, if anyone remembers that, it still wasn't as embarrassing as the entire Rousey tough-guy talk with zero, and I mean zero intent on ever backing a single word of it up.

You realize that her opponent has the choice to fight if she doesn't make weight? I feel like with the history of this fight, Ronda would say no if Cyborg missed weight. The UFC would probably even be prepared for this by having Tate or another suitable alternate fighting on the same card.

And also given the history of this fight, I don't think Ronda would catch a lot of negative media attention for saying no; I think most of the negative attention would shift toward Cyborg for not making weight, and any chance of the fight actually happening would further diminish.

Yes, but it seems like the reason against it is always "she wont make weight", so if she wont, then let's do this work-around. Make it explicit between her and the UFC, it might change things. With a renegotiation of the contract pay of course. Let's be honest, Dana knows she can't really make 135, it'd be bad for her and probably make the match-up pointless.

So basically you want the UFC to tell Cyborg something akin to this "Psst. Just sign to fight Ronda at 135...and then trick her into fighting you at catch-weight like you have been demanding all along by intentionally missing weight. We won't pull you from the fight, and since you have no interest in the 135 title, the only consequence is the fight will not be for the title....and you might lose a % of the biggest payday of your life." ?

Or am I misunderstanding your sentiment?

Seems unethical bro.

Back