Junior dos Santos: "The heavyweight division is at its best moment, but lacks Fedor"

Really depends what you mean by great though. For me it's different than a 'who beats who' question.

For example, Jack Dempsey is a far greater fighter than Wlad Klitschko, yet if you put the two of them in a ring together. Wlad would walk it.

Greatest is based on judging people by the standards of their own times, with the knowledge, training, equipt, that was available. That's why so many 'mould breakers' are judged to be great. I think prime Fedor would have struggled against Cain/JDS but he was such a freak of nature with incredibly well-rounded skill set, he remains the heavyweight goat (and p4p goat for me)

Dempsey by KO

I dont think youll find many who will argue hes not in the top 3. The debate is about whether hes #1.

no your right, most people do accept he's top 3 all time i just noticed on sherdog there is like a thread once a week in the "worldwide MMA " topic that tries to discredit fedor's entire career.
it annoys me how people use these arguments to try and down fedor career:
1.) he didn't fight anyone/he was a can crusher
2.) when he fought "real" competition (strikeforce) he lost
3.) pride fc was fixed and fedor just fought freakshows.
it just bug's me personally, so when someone like JDS or Cain speak about fedor and how great he is i enjoy it.

I don't like JDS, but I respect the comments about Fedor made by him.

JDS knows who the GOAT is and he'll follow in Fedor's footsteps once he mauls Cain, though he'll probably have to face Cormier once he beats Cain who is another beast. It will be a tough road at HW for anybody.

those two fights would be amazing.
i'd like to see jds vs a prime andrei or a prime kharitonov...
dem hands

Dos Santos vs. a 2004/2005 Kharitonov would be goddamn epic. Sergei was a supreme technical boxer, had a chin of iron and was just an extremely tough human being.

This guy
ildhrn.jpg

vs.

This guy
tumblr_meag08DrMc1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

...would be a dream fight.

you seem to understand the way promotion works

Haha right. Respecting people you're trying to sign? Almost unheard of.

Im a bigger fan of Dana than most, but that is on him. Fedor is such a quiet respectful fight he's not going to sign because the bald guy from the UFC is being a douche, calling him overrated, etc.

If he had let the Fertitas deal with it and let Fedor have some freedoms doing Sambo and what not, it could have been. I guess the co promotion thing was in the way too

JDS knows who the GOAT is and he'll follow in Fedor's footsteps once he mauls Cain, though he'll probably have to face Cormier once he beats Cain who is another beast. It will be a tough road at HW for anybody.

Im the biggest Fedor fan ever, but Ill give credit when its due. If Cain or JDS win decisively, they very well may pass Fedor as HW goat. I really like that they both have respect for him, as Im sure Fedor does for them.

Dos Santos and Barnett are definitely my 2 favourite HWs.

Don't know if Dos Santos will be able to make the proper adjustments to win but I hope he does!

Dos Santos ftw!

Dos Santos vs. a 2004/2005 Kharitonov would be goddamn epic. Sergei was a supreme technical boxer, had a chin of iron and was just an extremely tough human being.

This guy
ildhrn.jpg

vs.

This guy
tumblr_meag08DrMc1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

...would be a dream fight.

I am quite confident JDS would beat Sergei. I think JDS is tougher and has more power. My personal opinion.

Im the biggest Fedor fan ever, but Ill give credit when its due. If Cain or JDS win decisively, they very well may pass Fedor as HW goat. I really like that they both have respect for him, as Im sure Fedor does for them.

I remember back when JDS was going to fight Overeem for his first defence, everyone was saying how JDS would have been HW goat over fedor if he won.

Yep. And does anyone seriously think that if it was Fedor with a spent JDS in a second round that he would not have been able to finish him? Fedor would have subbed him. I love Cain, don't get me wrong, but Fedor would have dispatched JDS's worn out ass before the end of the second round.

This is great but Fedor probably wouldn't have lasted 3 minutes with JDS. Sorry for bursting your bubble.

JDS is so great, I almost wish he wasn't going to get an ass whipping this Sat.

I am the biggest JDS fan ever and I hope he destroys Cain but no way does he surpass Fedor as HW GOAT. AS and GSP are in the running for GOAT but nobody is even remotely near surpassing Fedor as HW GOAT imo. JDS and Cain will have to go on a tear and win their next 5-6 fights in a row for me to consider them in the running. They both have a brutal loss on their record already ffs.

I am quite confident JDS would beat Sergei. I think JDS is tougher and has more power. My personal opinion.

Sergei's shoulder popped out whilst Overeem had him in a crucifix-style position and was kneeing him in the face like 20 times in a row. The guy didn't tap or call to the ref to stop it, just took his beating because he's that kind of guy. Being a legit Paratrooper and serving in the military for real probably shows how mentally and physically durable the guy really is.

Not saying Junior is tough, he most certainly is. Standing with Mark Hunt and taking a real pasting from Cain for 5 rounds showed that the guy's spirit is hard to break. As for power, I agree, Junior has legit 1-shot KO power and anyone who gets connected on cleanly and hard by him will probably go down. I think Sergei is technically a more proficient boxer perhaps, I think he defends better and his accolades from his amateur Boxing career go a long way to show how his pedigree when it comes to fisticuffs is legit as it comes.

Sergei's shoulder popped out whilst Overeem had him in a crucifix-style position and was kneeing him in the face like 20 times in a row. The guy didn't tap or call to the ref to stop it, just took his beating because he's that kind of guy. Being a legit Paratrooper and serving in the military for real probably shows how mentally and physically durable the guy really is.

Not saying Junior is tough, he most certainly is. Standing with Mark Hunt and taking a real pasting from Cain for 5 rounds showed that the guy's spirit is hard to break. As for power, I agree, Junior has legit 1-shot KO power and anyone who gets connected on cleanly and hard by him will probably go down. I think Sergei is technically a more proficient boxer perhaps, I think he defends better and his accolades from his amateur Boxing career go a long way to show how his pedigree when it comes to fisticuffs is legit as it

I agree with all of this but keep in mind Junior still has the option of taking it to the ground if Sergei's winning the standup.

I agree with all of this but keep in mind Junior still has the option of taking it to the ground if Sergei's winning the standup.

And he'd be tangling with a guy that hung with a prime Minotauro on the mat and beat Semmy Schilt via mounting him and landing some of the most disturbingly violent ground and pound I've ever seen. In fact, early on in his career Sergei was a submission guy by trade, using his Sambo base. Only in the Ninja fight did he showcase his striking for the first time on the big stage.

Junior is a sold grappler too however, his takedowns against Mark Hunt and Shane Carwin looked pretty good, and he really beat Hunt up on the ground pretty badly if I remember. Certainly interesting. He wouldn't submit Sergei but he could do some damage there I think.

This is great but Fedor probably wouldn't have lasted 3 minutes with JDS. Sorry for bursting your bubble.

So Nelson, Carwin and Cain can go to decision with JDS and fat ass 40 year old Hunt can go 15 minutes with JDS, but prime Fedor would lose to JDS in less than three minutes?

You've lost all credibility.

Back