Junior dos Santos: "The heavyweight division is at its best moment, but lacks Fedor"

You see what happened with the last 3 ranked fighters he fought. Why do you think the next 3 would be any different.

Yeah 3 , still currently ranked fighters at the end of his career/decline. He said Fedor of 5 years ago would still be a gatekeeper , you know the one who beat 2 top ranked fighters in Arlovski and Sylvia... You again , anything not zuffa you just shit on,

Yeah 3 , still currently ranked fighters at the end of his career/decline. He said Fedor of 5 years ago would still be a gatekeeper , you know the one who beat 2 top ranked fighters in Arlovski and Sylvia... You again , anything not zuffa you just shit on,

Oh I missed the 5 yrs ago part. I don't think he'd get the belt but Fedor of 5 yrs ago could get into the top 5. He'd hit a wall when he Cormier, Bigfoot, and Barnett tho.

Truer words were never spoken about the HW division - they really are just a different breed of fighter; when almost everyone potentially has one punch KO power, it's a problem!

i love how most UFC/MMA fighters respect and honor fedor as a true MMA warrior/legend but on sherdog theres 100's of posters who just fail to see what is clear as day.... fedor is either the GOAT or top 3 all time.

i love how most UFC/MMA fighters respect and honor fedor as a true MMA warrior/legend but on sherdog theres 100's of posters who just fail to see what is clear as day.... fedor is either the GOAT or top 3 all time.

Before the last fight, Cain and JDS both said Fedor is the best heavyweight ever. How the hell do fans know more than them? These guys have known ppl he's fought and can see what he can do.

As a huge Fedor fan, I do have to admit that if Cain or JDS win this fight impressively they will have a very good chance of passing Fedor for best HW ever.

I'm getting tired of hearing about Fedor. Sure I would have liked to see Fedor vs. Junior Dos Santos, Cain Velasquez or Alistair Overeem but he retired and he says he doesn't want to fight any more. I don't want to watch someone fight who doesn't have the will to do so. Sure he's young enough to keep fighting but he had a long career and he retired when he started to decline. The drama with Dana White and the UFC was extremely lame and Fedor doesn't appear wise enough to recognize that it was M-1's fault that he didn't sign with the UFC and pissed Dana off. There are a lot of reasons to find fault in Dana White but he clearly wanted Fedor under contract and his people ruined the deal.

I say let the man stay retired and enjoy his family. Stop encouraging him to make a comeback. He doesn't even want it.

Dana was the last man in the world that should have had anything to do with Fedor's negotiations. He acted like Fedor needed him. You cant talk shit like that to someone like Fedor. Even after all the stuff Dana has said, Fedor has been completely respectful everytime He has talked about Dana

I think ppl want him to stay tired. Its just an interesting and controversial topic, Fedor in the UFC, and a topic that looks like it wont soon die. Especially since fighters continually bring him up

I dont think youll find many who will argue hes not in the top 3. The debate is about whether hes #1.

I hope the JDS wins but he's wrong. The UFC HW division is about as shallow as it's ever been.

Proof? Cain's last 4 fights have been the same 2 people!

After JDS all there is is Werdum and Barnett. Werdum already lost to JDS and Barnett who pisses clean may not be nearly as good. Barnett also lost to a newbie in Cormier.

After Werdum and Barnett who is there? Travis Browne? Stefan Struve? Ugh! That's how shallow the UFC HW division is.

He's right about Fedor being the GOAT though.

It only seems shallow because he and JDS are so good coupled with the fact that the other top guys have not done enough to warrant a title shot.

Overeem
Mir
Werdum
Cormier

Who else is there in the HW division that is top 20 and not already in the UFC?
Sergei Kharitonov?
Cole Conrad?

there really isnt a top 10 in the heavyweight, it should go
1. cain
2. junior
3. werdrum
4. daniel c
5. barnett
then nobody else has a shot at anything

Well JDS just gained some new fans from the the legion of Fedor worshippers

JDS has been calling Fedor the greatest of all time before.

So have other brazilian fighters like Aldo

You really know Fedor truly is the greatest of all time when brazilian fighters are calling him the GOAT instead of Anderson :D

Bigfoot was finished before he entered his prime, Fedor was finished after he left it.

Are you serious? You know Werdum and Bigfoot have been doing extremely well since crossing over (besides Bigfoot's run ins with Cain). Werdum is like #3 right now. Bigfoot had 2 big upsets.

And Fedor would destroy anyone outside of the top 5 in the UFC still

What about an outside of the top 5 LHW/MW like Hendo?

Just something interesting I thought I'd share. Probably has nothing to do with anything, but there's what appears to be the cyrillic F (Ф) character in his logo design. JDS has also said that Fedor is his idol. So is this a coincidence or something else?
Shape5_BridgeofHope_logo.png

Thanks for the translation btw!

Man, the Fedor worship is a little excessive.

Yes, Fedor is probably the heavyweight with the best resume as of now, considering the depth of the division back then. But, it's not wrong to say he could eventually be passed up by a current or future fighter. But, in the mind of Fedor worshipers, he's the best there ever will be. Period, full stop. Have some perspective.

Regarding the HW division, I say it was probably better back in Fedor's day. There were a number of fighters who hovered around that HW-LHW cutoff and just didn't cut weight. Nowadays, those guys make LHW. What would HW look like today if the Ryan Jimmos, James Te-Hunas, Glover Teixeiras, Guses and Jones didn't cut weight and flooded HW instead? It'd be an arguably much deeper division. The game is played differently now, for better or worse.

I hope the JDS wins but he's wrong. The UFC HW division is about as shallow as it's ever been.

Proof? Cain's last 4 fights have been the same 2 people!

After JDS all there is is Werdum and Barnett. Werdum already lost to JDS and Barnett who pisses clean may not be nearly as good. Barnett also lost to a newbie in Cormier.

After Werdum and Barnett who is there? Travis Browne? Stefan Struve? Ugh! That's how shallow the UFC HW division is.

He's right about Fedor being the GOAT though.

If it's so shallow ... why don't all those LHWs stop cutting weight and just fight at HW where they can stop worrying about cutting weight and fight against these "shallow" HW fighters?

Really depends what you mean by great though. For me it's different than a 'who beats who' question.

For example, Jack Dempsey is a far greater fighter than Wlad Klitschko, yet if you put the two of them in a ring together. Wlad would walk it.

Greatest is based on judging people by the standards of their own times, with the knowledge, training, equipt, that was available. That's why so many 'mould breakers' are judged to be great. I think prime Fedor would have struggled against Cain/JDS but he was such a freak of nature with incredibly well-rounded skill set, he remains the heavyweight goat (and p4p goat for me)

Man, the Fedor worship is a little excessive.

Yes, Fedor is probably the heavyweight with the best resume as of now, considering the depth of the division back then. But, it's not wrong to say he could eventually be passed up by a current or future fighter. But, in the mind of Fedor worshipers, he's the best there ever will be. Period, full stop. Have some perspective.

Regarding the HW division, I say it was probably better back in Fedor's day. There were a number of fighters who hovered around that HW-LHW cutoff and just didn't cut weight. Nowadays, those guys make LHW. What would HW look like today if the Ryan Jimmos, James Te-Hunas, Glover Teixeiras, Guses and Jones didn't cut weight and flooded HW instead? It'd be an arguably much deeper division. The game is played differently now, for better or worse.

Yeah those are really good points. But under that thinking process, Fedor could have made LHW easily also. He reminds me of Cain and Cormier. Could probably make light heavy easy enough but its their speed, tenacity, technique and cardio that really sets them apart from the other heavyweights

fedor still goat.jds knows

Yep. And does anyone seriously think that if it was Fedor with a spent JDS in a second round that he would not have been able to finish him? Fedor would have subbed him. I love Cain, don't get me wrong, but Fedor would have dispatched JDS's worn out ass before the end of the second round.

Back