Junior dos Santos: "The heavyweight division is at its best moment, but lacks Fedor"

The HW division is loaded. Tons of great fights to look forward to.

Dana White is still mad about the Fedor situation to this day:

Dana White: Brock Lesnar and I wanted to make the Fedor Emelianenko fight 'so bad'

By Shaun Al-Shatti @shaunalshatti on Oct 17 2013, 9:49p

fedorvshendersonfanhouse-91.0_standard_709.0.jpg

HOUSTON -- There was a time not long ago when Fedor Emelianenko was considered to be the greatest heavyweight on planet. But despite his mystique, his titles and his indomitable streak, the Russian could never agree to terms with the UFC.

Now retired, Emelianenko recently attributed the insurmountable divide between the two sides to his belief that UFC President Dana White

If this is the HW divisions best moment that's kind of sad as the HW division is the weakest one in the UFC and has less than 30 fighters. Sure Cain JDS 3 is a blockbuster but beyond that fight the divisions in pretty bad shape with very few young guys coming up. The HW divisions best moment was back when the Lesnar fights were drawing boxing PPV Numbers and the immediate aftermath when the division appeared stacked. Around a year and a half ago that period ended.

i love the respect fedor gets by UFC Champs and fighters. this is great.

i love the respect fedor gets by UFC Champs and fighters. this is great.
The list of fighters, analysts and fans who give Fedor his proper due is immense.

Honestly the only group I regularly see trying to shit on him and diminish him and his accomplishments are the usual rabid Anderson fans who feel they have to try and tear down everyone believing that elevates Anderson, and the rabid Pride haters.

Dana is not the hero but he's not the villain either. The villain is Finkelstein and his cronies who run M-1. They wanted co-promotion with the UFC which meant half the profit and the event not being recognized exclusively by the UFC brand. Greedy or not the UFC brand is everything to its owners and the UFC and M-1 are not equals in market share so it was unreasonable for them to demand that. Strikeforce went along with it because they needed big stars like Fedor. The UFC never needed Fedor. Understand that we didn't see Fedor vs. Lesnar or Fedor in the UFC period because of M-1 not because of anything Dana White said after negotiations.

No, he wasn't and it would make absolutely no sense for him to do so. He wanted Fedor in the UFC for a Lesnar-Fedor superfight. He started talking shit because they didn't take the deal. First it was against M-1 who he called "crazy Russians" because they wanted the UFC to finance the building of a stadium in Russia. Then he started talking about Fedor himself calling him overrated because he couldn't sign him (later he said signing Fedor had become his obsession).

Dana never officially told the media what the terms of their deal was but this was the rumor:

• 6 fight contract worth $30 million
  • an immediate title shot
  • a cut of the Lesnar/Fedor PPV going directly to M-1
  • Fedor was free to wear as many items with the M-1 logo as he wished
  • allowing Fedor to compete in combat Sambo

Fiveouncesofpain.com - Report: Fedor turns down six-fight, $30 million deal with the UFC

If there's any truth to that then M-1 really are a bunch of crazy Russians. They could have made good money with a deal like that and Fedor would have made 5x as much per fight with the UFC as he did in Strikeforce. But M-1 still made co-promotion the deal breaker. I know M-1 denies the $30 million figure but the UFC has the money to promise that much and more so they seem more credible to me.

I don't understand why Fedor went along with it honestly. Maybe they took advantage of the language barrier and deceived him. I can understand being turned off by Dana after the insulting comments but all of that happened after they turned down the deal.

Now you're just being a UFC shill.

The $30 million proved to be absolute bullshit after the incident with Carmichael Dave. Some papers were released from M1's side and Dana looked like a fool because of it. If you were as plugged into the situation as impartially as you claim to be you would absolutely remember this.

and lol at "No, he wasn't and it would make absolutely no sense for him to do so."

No shit! Why do you think we're ripping on Dana for being an idiot? Because it made no sense for him to do so and he compulsively did it, like he was unable to help himself, but he did it anyways.... long before negotiations, despite what you think.

i said that because those are the right strategies - i am very intersted in stuff like that, its used by most any party in business - its just that people here dont understand and get upset, like yourself - ufc's behavior is very rational for someone who dominates a market - people like yourself have no idea about the strategy and just get upset and vilify the ufc, but really, what they do is legal and rational based on their competitive positioning

if there were a legit competitor, a 50% market share owner, in theory, then the ufc would get its act together real fast

Promoting your brand and diminishing the competitions is quite different from Dana's temper tantrums. You need to do quite a bit more reading or even spring for some night classes because you don't know what you're talking about.

Promoting your brand and diminishing the competitions is quite different from Dana's temper tantrums. You need to do quite a bit more reading or even spring for some night classes because you don't know what you're talking about.

you're stubborn ignorance is exactly one of the reasons why it works - i knwo for you this discussion has turned into a pissing contest, but i'm happy to educate you more if you want to tone down your bitchiness - feel free to PM me if you want, otherwise we'll just agree to disagree

Lesnar was annoying but I have to say, the HW division misses him.

Now you're just being a UFC shill.

The $30 million proved to be absolute bullshit after the incident with Carmichael Dave. Some papers were released from M1's side and Dana looked like a fool because of it. If you were as plugged into the situation as impartially as you claim to be you would absolutely remember this.

First of all I did acknowledge that it was a rumor and that M-1 denied the rumor. I do recall that. I wasn't aware that Carmichael Dave was the source of the information but looking back on it he appears to have defended the credibility of his source and I can't find any info that outright refutes it just a news article by Loretta Hunt which reports what I already acknowledged; that M-1 denied the $30 million figure.

What papers are you talking about?

and lol at "No, he wasn't and it would make absolutely no sense for him to do so."

No shit! Why do you think we're ripping on Dana for being an idiot? Because it made no sense for him to do so and he compulsively did it, like he was unable to help himself, but he did it anyways.... long before negotiations, despite what you think.

Provide some evidence that Dana White compulsively bashed Fedor before even negotiating with him. That would indeed make him an idiot to bash a fighter and then try to sign him. But where is the evidence?

In His latest interview He said He is done fighting, He's retired and doesn't think about stepping into the ring/octagon anymore.

So you can keep daydreaming about the Emperor's return or face the harsh reality.

I'm not sure I agree with JDS that HW is at its best right now. It's certainly up there but 2 years ago it was better, even just inside the UFC. Two good HW's in Carwin and Lesnar are gone. Kongo, a solid gatekeeper, is gone as well. I haven't seen good replacements for them. Outside the UFC, Fedor is retired and Kharitonov, a good HW, wasn't picked up by the UFC and hasn't fought in a year.

HW's probably thinner than it was a couple years ago.

In His latest interview He said He is done fighting, He's retired and doesn't think about stepping into the ring/octagon anymore.

So you can keep daydreaming about the Emperor's return or face the harsh reality.

And here I thought JDS was facing reality by mentioning Fedor. It's not as if the man is dead or his decade of domination never happened. I'm glad to see someone in his position giving respect to an all time great.

Thanks for posting. Can't help but like JDS.

I think Fedor can still compete, but the fact that he still doesn't fight in UFC shows me that their is fear on some level. There should be nothing holding him back (except his managers and Putin).

I'd rather see him against Cain, that would be the most exciting fight. I think JDS would demolish Fedor at this point, based on his style. I agree with the Mir fight though, that would be exciting as well.

Yes, Fedor would have a much more competitive fight with Cain. JDS is a horrible matchup for him.

Back