Junior dos Santos: "The heavyweight division is at its best moment, but lacks Fedor"

unfortunately that was 250 pound k-1 sergei :(
he has an mma bout coming up and i wish someone would remind him that he has a background in sambo

It's crazy, Sergei used to have a legit ground game, it disappeared when he got out of shape for years. I mean I'm pretty sure he was on the ground for at least a few minutes against Werdum and was fine then his ground game looked non existent years later against Monson.

It's crazy, Sergei used to have a legit ground game, it disappeared when he got out of shape for years. I mean I'm pretty sure he was on the ground for at least a few minutes against Werdum and was fine then his ground game looked non existent years later against Monson.

yep, he use to be a real good grappler. was taught sambo in the military and then continued his training with volk han and fedor at russian top team. he's still my 2nd favorite hw of all time but man...could have been an mma champ but instead got caught up on kickboxing

Thanks for sharing T.S.

I think JDS is being a bit too modest here. I love Fedor but he would get wrecked against at least 50% of the HW division right now.

Now if we are talking in his prime? that's a different story :)

Prime Sergei would box JDS up.

I strongly disagree because the one thing that Sergei never ever had was good box defense. He could take major punishment but jds just has special power that not many fighters have. I think jds would take him out, it would probably look a lot like yvel fight.

Ever notice how close JDS's face is to this one?
Troll_Face.png

I'm getting tired of hearing about Fedor. Sure I would have liked to see Fedor vs. Junior Dos Santos, Cain Velasquez or Alistair Overeem but he retired and he says he doesn't want to fight any more. I don't want to watch someone fight who doesn't have the will to do so. Sure he's young enough to keep fighting but he had a long career and he retired when he started to decline. The drama with Dana White and the UFC was extremely lame and Fedor doesn't appear wise enough to recognize that it was M-1's fault that he didn't sign with the UFC and pissed Dana off. There are a lot of reasons to find fault in Dana White but he clearly wanted Fedor under contract and his people ruined the deal.

I say let the man stay retired and enjoy his family. Stop encouraging him to make a comeback. He doesn't even want it.

I don't know how Dana became the hero in this story, the way he was shooting his mouth off. There are some things Fedor seems to value more than money and one of those things is not subjecting himself to an infantile shit like Dana White.

Yep. And does anyone seriously think that if it was Fedor with a spent JDS in a second round that he would not have been able to finish him? Fedor would have subbed him. I love Cain, don't get me wrong, but Fedor would have dispatched JDS's worn out ass before the end of the second round.

You could've said the same thing, but in a more respectful manner.

the ufc knows what its doing, they bash people outside orgs then suck them off when they are a part of it - if that doesnt make sense to you, then you def have no idea what you're talking about - what they say in the media is strategic, it has nothing to do with being 'respectful' - its about money and getting your way - they didnt get fedor because they couldnt agree on terms / money / co promotion etc. - when uyou cant get someone, its time to bash them, ufc is mean to most everyone who they cant control - they did the same with overeem but overeem came over - they did the same w other fighters as well - you say what makes sense at the time - ufc is an aggressive negotiator, and it doesnt always work

lol at defending the UFC's bullshit. "What they say in the media is strategic" is only accurate if you mean to say that Dana wouldn't be such a loudmouthed bitch if the UFC wasn't powerful enough to get away with it. And the proof is the way he acted when Pride was #1: he was a TOTALLY different person, very respectful to the fighters and the fans.

Dana's on an ego trip and right now he can get away with it.

Dana was pissed off that he couldn't sign a deal with M-1 to get Fedor in the UFC. M-1 wanted co-promotion which was unacceptable to the UFC. Yes, Dana did badmouth Fedor after the incident calling him overrated but Fedor's management blew that deal.

Dana was slinging shit before they were negotiating.

lol at defending the UFC's bullshit. "What they say in the media is strategic" is only accurate if you mean to say that Dana wouldn't be such a loudmouthed bitch if the UFC wasn't powerful enough to get away with it. And the proof is the way he acted when Pride was #1: he was a TOTALLY different person, very respectful to the fighters and the fans.

Dana's on an ego trip and right now he can get away with it.

but they are able to get away with it - its not about defending them, they're just really powerful and can do what they want in the mma world - i dont particularly like them really, but i can see how someone in their position would do what they do

I hope the JDS wins but he's wrong. The UFC HW division is about as shallow as it's ever been.

Proof? Cain's last 4 fights have been the same 2 people!
Obviously someone has forgotten about the Timmy/AA trilogy. And title fights featuring Monson and B. Vera... HW is stacked right now.

Bigfoot was finished before he entered his prime, Fedor was finished after he left it.

Are you serious? You know Werdum and Bigfoot have been doing extremely well since crossing over (besides Bigfoot's run ins with Cain). Werdum is like #3 right now. Bigfoot had 2 big upsets.

And Fedor would destroy anyone outside of the top 5 in the UFC still

Big Foot got KOed by a LHW and was getting wrecked against Brett Rogers, he would lose to plenty of HW in the UFC now.

but they are able to get away with it - its not about defending them, they're just really powerful and can do what they want in the mma world - i dont particularly like them really, but i can see how someone in their position would do what they do

You were defending them... or at least outright stating that their actions are really a savvy business and negotiation strategy that people here might not be able to appreciate. If that were the case Dana's personality would be described throughout business and economic textbooks... instead of psychology textbooks.

Thanks for sharing T.S.

I think JDS is being a bit too modest here. I love Fedor but he would get wrecked against at least 50% of the HW division right now.

Now if we are talking in his prime? that's a different story :)
I think JDS meant a Fedor in his prime.

I hope the JDS wins but he's wrong. The UFC HW division is about as shallow as it's ever been.

Proof? Cain's last 4 fights have been the same 2 people!

After JDS all there is is Werdum and Barnett. Werdum already lost to JDS and Barnett who pisses clean may not be nearly as good. Barnett also lost to a newbie in Cormier.

After Werdum and Barnett who is there? Travis Browne? Stefan Struve? Ugh! That's how shallow the UFC HW division is.

He's right about Fedor being the GOAT though.

No he's not wrong. He's right on both counts. No one should doubt this is the strongest HW division in UFC history. The only comparison is with the pride HW, and the two are very close. When Fedor, Nog, CC were on top.

But right now you have Cain and JDS. Then Cormier, Barnett, Werdum (has actually evolved into a very good HW), BigFoot, Overeem, Hunt and then a bunch of other guys. I won't name Browne because i don't want to make a name off of him. But thats a pretty stacked division.

I don't know how Dana became the hero in this story, the way he was shooting his mouth off. There are some things Fedor seems to value more than money and one of those things is not subjecting himself to an infantile shit like Dana White.

Dana is not the hero but he's not the villain either. The villain is Finkelstein and his cronies who run M-1. They wanted co-promotion with the UFC which meant half the profit and the event not being recognized exclusively by the UFC brand. Greedy or not the UFC brand is everything to its owners and the UFC and M-1 are not equals in market share so it was unreasonable for them to demand that. Strikeforce went along with it because they needed big stars like Fedor. The UFC never needed Fedor. Understand that we didn't see Fedor vs. Lesnar or Fedor in the UFC period because of M-1 not because of anything Dana White said after negotiations.

Dana was slinging shit before they were negotiating.

No, he wasn't and it would make absolutely no sense for him to do so. He wanted Fedor in the UFC for a Lesnar-Fedor superfight. He started talking shit because they didn't take the deal. First it was against M-1 who he called "crazy Russians" because they wanted the UFC to finance the building of a stadium in Russia. Then he started talking about Fedor himself calling him overrated because he couldn't sign him (later he said signing Fedor had become his obsession).

Dana never officially told the media what the terms of their deal was but this was the rumor:

• 6 fight contract worth $30 million
  • an immediate title shot
  • a cut of the Lesnar/Fedor PPV going directly to M-1
  • Fedor was free to wear as many items with the M-1 logo as he wished
  • allowing Fedor to compete in combat Sambo

Fiveouncesofpain.com - Report: Fedor turns down six-fight, $30 million deal with the UFC

If there's any truth to that then M-1 really are a bunch of crazy Russians. They could have made good money with a deal like that and Fedor would have made 5x as much per fight with the UFC as he did in Strikeforce. But M-1 still made co-promotion the deal breaker. I know M-1 denies the $30 million figure but the UFC has the money to promise that much and more so they seem more credible to me.

I don't understand why Fedor went along with it honestly. Maybe they took advantage of the language barrier and deceived him. I can understand being turned off by Dana after the insulting comments but all of that happened after they turned down the deal.

You were defending them... or at least outright stating that their actions are really a savvy business and negotiation strategy that people here might not be able to appreciate. If that were the case Dana's personality would be described throughout business and economic textbooks... instead of psychology textbooks.

i said that because those are the right strategies - i am very intersted in stuff like that, its used by most any party in business - its just that people here dont understand and get upset, like yourself - ufc's behavior is very rational for someone who dominates a market - people like yourself have no idea about the strategy and just get upset and vilify the ufc, but really, what they do is legal and rational based on their competitive positioning

if there were a legit competitor, a 50% market share owner, in theory, then the ufc would get its act together real fast

Back