Junior Dos Santos: "If Cain Velasquez Takes Me Down, You Guys Will See My BJJ"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does a black belt mean anymore?

There are plenty of guys who have black belts who can't do shit off their backs.
Most grapplers are only great from certain areas or just average everywhere. It's rare you find a BB great from every area because most people are either on top or bottom experts based on how they like to grapple and how they tend to get it to the ground.
When it comes to MMA fighters I've seen many MMA fighters get their black belts simply based on their success in MMA. How many BBs have we seen that are simply not that great in a MMA setting but just average? Even if JDS is a good blackbelt I don't see his guard being that great seeing as he is huge and seems the type of guy to be on top more than bottom.
This is usually the stereotype in BJJ, which of course isn't always true. The skinnier smaller guys tend to be better from the guard, as they always get taken down and end up there. While the bigger stockier guys tend to be better from top as they are usually the ones taking people down and able to hold top position.

A very confident and highly skilled champion. He really has the opportunity to reign for a long time. He's a vicious striker with great tdd and improving bjj. He doesn't seem to take anyone lightly and looks like the sky is the limit for Junior. He's got 3 tough fights ahead in Cain, Reem and Cormier assuming they win their upcoming bouts

I perfectly understand logic. I don't understand unsupported logic, by such who doubt mindlessly without looking at all the factors.

You're entitled to your opinion on the fact that JDS will submit Cain but you have backed it up with the fact that he trains with other good grapplers (like the vast majority of top MMA fighters). That is a poorly grounded argument and people have ridiculed it. Then you called for people to prove it wrong, which is putting the burden of proof upon others to disprove a poorly asserted claim. All we're doing is critiquing your original argument as being rather baseless and poorly argued. Again, I'll alert you to the fact that JDS by sub is at 18/1, right now.

I probably can name more blackbelts who really haven't shown a great submission game than blackbelts who have shown a great submission game.
Of course positioning is apart of BJJ but in MMA when you are the bottom you are losing so even if you have great positioning from the bottom, you are going to be losing the fight. JDS will be on the bottom.
Positional BJJ is good if you are a top fighter, like someone like Rashad Evans. That dude have a BB but you never see him submit anyone or even think he is anything other than a good wrestler. That's because he uses his BJJ with his wrestling for an excellent top game. He might not sub anyone but he will keep you on your back and get in great positions to land GNP.
I really doubt he could do shit from his back. There are plenty worse examples in MMA where BBs don't have great MMA BJJ at all.

I really doubt JDS will show us any type of stellar grappling from the bottom, I could be wrong though.

Actually, yes, I do believe in God and am a proud Christian.

As a rebuttal, what is the evidence against it? We haven't seen JDS on the ground, and we haven't seen Cain on the ground with a guy that has a BJJ black belt, barring Bigfoot (who isn't exactly known for his submissions). Keep in mind that the fight with Rodrigo was entirely standing, if memory serves me right.

I like how you discredit Bigfoot's black belt by saying he "isn't exactly known for his submissions" while simultaneously saying that JDS will submit Cain "easily." JDS isn't known for submissions either.

You're entitled to your opinion on the fact that JDS will submit Cain but you have backed it up with the fact that he trains with other good grapplers (like the vast majority of top MMA fighters). That is a poorly grounded argument and people have ridiculed it. Then you called for people to prove it wrong, which is putting the burden of proof upon others to disprove a poorly asserted claim. All we're doing is critiquing your original argument as being rather baseless and poorly argued. Again, I'll alert you to the fact that JDS by sub is at 18/1, right now.

Poorly grounded is an opinion, I truly believe JDS has something in the form of a submission that will surprise everyone. I can understand why people ridicule it, I think its more very contrasting views than anything else. I think that all that training around world class BJJ guys in MMA would benefit him greatly to the point of said submission, but that is not the view that others support, as I can see.

Not surprised that the odds are that low, however. Mind linking the site/how you got them?

Bigfoots BB is all based on his top game. He's a huge guy who uses his BJJ for a positional advantage from the top, as do most big guys. That's why I figure JDS is probably a better top positional BJJ BB based on his size and the way he fights. If was was a great submission artist he would be trying to get submission wins if he could, but he simply avoids the ground.

That's why I don't think his BB will be any help on his back besides minimizing the damage. Either way I see him losing if he gets taken down.

I've been preaching this for a couple weeks now.

I honestly believe JDS will submit Cain if it goes to the ground. Easily, might I add.

I love JDS, but you sound stupid displaying such confidence in a submission game no one has ever seen...

Seems like ShogunTBone is convinced of something that there is no evidence of. Not surprised that he's a christian.

18/1 JDS lands a submission to me has terrible value.

I would think it would be more like 25/1.

Hey look, I went down in flames according to this thread.

Gotta boost my PR now.

Hey look, I went down in flames according to this thread.

Gotta boost my PR now.

You got your own opinion.
Just because you don't agree with everyone on something that nobody knows doesn't mean anything.
Everyone has their own opinions and nobody should be insulted based on them.

We will see come the 29th if the fight hits the mat.

You got your own opinion.
Just because you don't agree with everyone on something that nobody knows doesn't mean anything.
Everyone has their own opinions and nobody should be insulted based on them.

We will see come the 29th if the fight hits the mat.

It was all good until you said no one should be insulted based on theri opinions.

Hitler- some pretty bad opinions I have historically insulted him evne post mortim.

The cop- who gave me a seat belt ticket a block from my house the day i picked up my new born son. I don not value that dicks opinions and I have just insulted him and feel it is warranted.

The ahole form Vtech the douche in con. All very bad opinions and most woudl agree deserve to be insulted.

So yeah you are pretty much wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back