Jones is out of prime and declining, while Santos is peaking at the perfect time.

Thiago Santos de Lima is a Brazilian mixed martial artist currently competing in the light heavyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional competitor since 2010, he gained entrance into the UFC by competing on The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 2. Wikipedia

Born: January 7, 1984 (age 35 years), Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Height: 6′ 2″
Weight: 205 lbs
Nickname: Marreta
Reach: 76 in (193 cm)
Martial art: Mixed martial arts

THREAD//

Yes, a pro since 2010 (9 years), which should mean he is at his best right now, just like his most recent fights would confirm. Jones is in trouble.

Yeah but Santos is a mw journeyman facing best lhw ever

Smith seemed shell-shocked from the outset of the fight with Jones, not saying he'd win a rematch, but he sure as hell couldn't do worse than he did the first time around.

I really want to see how Walker does with a step up in competition.

I was only using Cejudo as one example. I understand MMA miles matter and that's why I included in my original post Jon barely takes any damage. Who is this phantom who's been punching Jon in the face to knock him out of his prime? 6 fights in 5 years and his extended breaks have probably been a major benefit to him. He's not slowing down yet.
Definitely a fair point that Jon's inactivity might slow his mileage down.

Doesn't mean its going to be enough, though, but it can make things interesting.

Jones is now past the mythical 10 years as a pro line and imo it has already shown in his last two fights. Meanwhile Santos is at the point in his career (9 years), when weirdly many fighters have the very best performances of their careers (usually just before the decline starts). For Jones that peak was the DC rematch (9 years), and he did look better than ever in that fight.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but Jones is not in his prime anymore. He just might still keep winning for awhile like Fedor did, because the competition is/was that far behind.

Dont be suprised if Santos gives Jones serious problems.

this is total bullshit....1st fight with gus, jones almost lost....recently, jones stopped gus...so, is gus just past his prime also..is that your excuse...or perhaps, jones just trained more intensely and actually came prepared....if anything, jones has looked more impressive..not losing a single round in 2 fights.

This is the reaction I expected. Just because Smith and Gus fought like shit, doesn't mean Jones was at his best. He just didn't look the same fighter anymore than he was in the DC rematch, but feel free to disagree.

typical hater...so instead of jones' being at his best when he beat gus...gus wasn't in his prime any more and fought like shit...I see now...haha

Yes, the 10 year as a pro myth, what this thread is about.

And that his first two fights since that 10 year line, he hasn't looked as good anymore as he looked in the DC rematch. Maybe he really stopped roiding, or maybe he is just another victim of that myth, who knows. But he is not at his best anymore. I have never understood this concept that fighter can't be out of his prime until he starts losing. Ofc he can.

Ive noticed it seems to be more around 30 fights for fighter. For the DC fight, I give credit to DC. The Gus fight Jones looked sharper than in the first one. I guess his next fight should tell.

What evidence do you have that Jones is declining or is out of his prime?
Dunno about out of his prime, but he has lost some speed and snap on certain strikes. His fight IQ more than makes up for it though.

this is total bullshit....1st fight with gus, jones almost lost....recently, jones stopped gus...so, is gus just past his prime also..is that your excuse...or perhaps, jones just trained more intensely and actually came prepared....if anything, jones has looked more impressive..not losing a single round in 2 fights.

Wait, are you saying Gus ISN'T past his prime, then? He just retired because he himself says he doesn't have it anymore.

And btw, that rematch was the first fight past the 10 year line for both Jones and Gus, and what did we see: Gus's worst performance ever, but ok the groin injury played a huge factor. Anyway, it was VERY easy win for Jones. Jones didn't do anything special in that fight, Gus just fought worse than ever (groin injury or myth victim or both).

And let's not forget that Gus's previous fight had been his last before that 10 year line, which by the myth is very often fighter's career best performance. And what did we see? Gus going full matrix on Glover and having the best performance of his career. And for Jones it was the DC rematch, in which he also looked the best he has ever looked. Amazing.

Expect an avalanche of takedowns. Bones via sub 3rd. Bones hasn't taken very much damage throughout his career he'll be fighting for awhile.

If Santos can turn into a scrap and make it chaotic, I believe he could win. He pulls a Smith well..it will be another 5rd decision.

Doesn't mean its going to be enough, though, but it can make things interesting.

Jones is now past the mythical 10 years as a pro line and imo it has already shown in his last two fights. Meanwhile Santos is at the point in his career (9 years), when weirdly many fighters have the very best performances of their careers (usually just before the decline starts). For Jones that peak was the DC rematch (9 years), and he did look better than ever in that fight.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but Jones is not in his prime anymore. He just might still keep winning for awhile like Fedor did, because the competition is/was that far behind.

Jones is in parts unknown regarding his prime, and pulsing*

What exactly are you basing this off of?

He finished Gus 2 fights ago and dominated Smith in his last fight.

Smith isn't exactly a world beater but people will have to accept that he has improved tremendously since his move up to LHW and isn't a can.

If your basing this thread on Jones not finishing Smith, then you have a very weak argument.

This will look almost identical to mousasi vs Santos imo

Santos was subbed by Eric Spicely

What are we talking about here

Santos got KOd by David Branch. That should immediately disqualify you from challenging for the title

Jones just dominated every milli-second of the fight against Smith, and stopped Gus in the fight before that.

How’s he declining?
I do not think Jones is going to lose. He is the best I have seen. He has beat a who's who in MMA- smashing some of the absolute greatest champions at 205.

Crazy to think he will lose.
I still remember believing Silva would never lose to Weidman twice and Penn would never lose to Edgar twice!
Point is, Jones will eventually lose, but not against Silva.

Jones just dominated every milli-second of the fight against Smith, and stopped Gus in the fight before that.

How’s he declining?

You can be past it and still be better than your competition.......how is that such a hard grasp for people?

Until some rocks Jones and really has him in trouble i don't buy it.

Back